Trespasser Original Hammond Script RELEASED!

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

scallenger
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Trespasser Original Hammond Script RELEASED!

Post by scallenger »

READ HERE for the news article and download link for this recent amazing discovery... the Trespasser- Original Hammond Script! Merry Christmas!!!

I will admit, I have had it for a few weeks now (but got it after the start of my new Jurassic Time version... coincidence!), along with the TresCom admin. You can't blame me, though! For those who have known me, I have been trying and waiting for YEARS to get a hold of this script, and patience and persistence has paid off. I can't thank Austin Grossman enough for finally snagging this for me from the depths of his storage unit, and took the time to scan EVERY page for us.

It is quite a fascinating relic from the game, especially touching that it was actually the copy read by Hammond himself. With almost 80 sets of new dialogue, there is a LOT to be said about this script. Luckily the new dialogue will be easy for one to spot: it is all of the un-boxed lines you see in the script, which were only meant to be recorded if time permitted. Out of all the unboxed lines, only two appear to have been recorded and found in the game files: the "Creation is an act of sheer will" line and the "Ozymandias" poem. Though the reason these two ended up being recorded is not noted, one could speculate that as Richard read the script he saw that "creation" line and noticed it as one of his own lines from the first film and wanted another go at it. And maybe when he saw that big Ozymandias poem he thought it would be fun to do it. Or, perhaps as Hilwo told me, like in the making of the Lost World where Spielberg had Attenborough say "Welcome to Jurassic Park" again, just because he wanted to hear him say it. Perhaps it happened this way for the Trespasser team. It's a shame that we will never know if anything else REALLY was recorded, but I honestly think between retail and beta we have all there was (as also evidenced that all of the boxed lines of dialogue ended up in either retail or beta, or both).

There are other interesting anomalies in the script. There are some issues with some of the dates conflicting each other. For example, in one of the un-recorded lines, it mentions that in 1986 was the first dinosaur to prove viable, an Albertasaur, which lived. In comparison to another line of dialogue, which was recorded, that states that the first raptor was released in 1985? It's possible he just screwed up on one of the dates (as evidenced that he did in the script, with some of his hand-written cross-outs), but I wonder which is right? My guess is that they were BOTH meant to be 1985 and he just forgot to modify the un-recorded line in question, but that is one of the few things we can still debate about.

Speaking of things crossed out, it's interesting to note that in the script we got, he hand-crossed out part of the following line (which can be found in the beta stream only). In the script it has the following bold/underlined bit crossed out:

A tank of greenish water, tinted by an algae-killing chemical, circulated through the massive cooling tower… this reservoir was filled from a pump in the valley, some ways away.

However, that entire line, as written, ended up being recorded anyway. It's interesting, because most of the things you see crossed out in the script were indeed not recorded, but that was one exception I noticed so far.

Now, one thing you will still notice is that this script is NOT in chronological order of any kind. In fact, it is in the EXACT same ordering as it appears in the Hammond Voice-Over document that's been around, sans un-recorded dialogue. This then brings into question something I want all of you to help me decide... what to do with it in the Jurassic Time narrative? There are several routes I could go, but I will save that for another post in this topic. But let's just say that organization work has already begun on some form of a version that includes this new dialogue.

There are other many cool things to discover and discuss, but I will now leave the rest to all of you to enjoy for now. Enjoy reading more about the Mayans, Harold Greenwood, and even that Gallimimus was apparently once considered to be in the game!

Also, be sure to check out in the same news article Hilwo's updated voice-over lists that now include this new dialogue as it appears in the script!

Enjoy! And expect some really great things to come!
Vesiapina
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: Trespasser Original Hammond Script RELEASED!

Post by Vesiapina »

Thank you very much Scallenger! This was a great Christmas present for the whole community! I read it and I loved it! The gallimimus part was very interesting, it would've been something awesome in the game. :)

It's good that Trespasser still has many things left undiscovered!

Merry Christmas! :)
With Trespasser, you can!
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
Antispam: No

Post by hppav »

This whole thing is probably the best thing to happen in the last couple years, IMHO. Such a cool piece of Trespasser History.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

Wow! This is amazing! Thank you so much!!!

The Hammond monologues in the game have always been one of my favorite parts of the game, they such a delight to the ear, so exquisetly written... And along with Attenborough's fantastic acting, it's simply mesmerizing.

Thanks again! Can't wait to read it whole :D
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Glad you guys are liking it. :D I also agree it is one of the best things to happen in quite some time. And personally, for me, even more exciting than the Beta, since it has WAY MORE new dialogue to read that expands this story so much! It really paints a much bigger picture. I can't wait to churn out what I have in store.

I would like to add that I sent Austin Grossman some stuff he thought was lost to time as well (the Anne/Hammond VO scripts that we have already had, plus the early walkthrough). He really appreciated it, and also confirmed their authenticity. It's wonderful that we both gave each other stuff that was valuable to the other. :)
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Truly bizarre timing.

I was just at your website Scallenger, downloading version 2.0 to listen to while I work and i decided to check TresCom for news and to say merry Xmas, and the front page is a story about new dialogue! Crazy.

I haven't read it yet, I will as soon as I'm home though.

Merry Xmas everyone, hope you had a good one and thanks for this great prezzie!
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

First of all: Merry Christmas to Scallenger and everyone else.

Second: Scallenger, I think you could incorporate parts of this (story-wise) in Jurassic Time, although you'll probably never get to actually use those new lines (unless you have personal access to Richard himself :P ), that is if it's not too much trouble to rearrange your script.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Not to spill the beans here, but I already have actually now integrated the new dialogue into the Jurassic Time arrangement. :!: I plan on making some kind of new PDF book version, and with the help of Hilwo, may include some of his stylized black/white photography of Trespasser for visuals. I also want someone to make a really, really kick-ass cover. Like something from a old fashioned movie-art poster. That would be amazing.

As for an audio project... I first thought maybe someone could just read off just the un-recorded dialogue and insert it in. But it would be far too jarring and distracting going back and forth between the two. So, the only good options I see are this: have someone read this story like any narrator would read an audiobook (in first person), or have someone do a Hammond impersonation. Either way, the ENTIRE thing must be read, not just the new parts. And it has to be told with the same kind of emotion and personal affection as Attenburough did for the game.

If any of you have any suggestions on a good Hammond voice impersonator, or someone who could read something like this with the right amount of gusto, please let me know. The best part is, the script for the actor to read is already there, along with notes on how to say the lines! I can then just take each line and re-sequence it into the new Jurassic Time narrative I have come up with.
HUNDOLOS
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HUNDOLOS »

Personally, I think finding a really good voice impersonator, for the missing parts only, is a better choice than re-recording all of it. Attenborough material is not something you just chuck away ;)

Also, maybe it's just me, but (assuming the black marker is Richard's writing) it's funny how on one or two occasions, Austin tried to write in a British manner, and then Attenborough corrected it :P
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

The best Sir Richard Attenborough impersonator is, quite possibly, Sir Richard Attenborough. He may need to keep seated most of the time now, but he can still read... :wink:

Now, seriously, I just thought of something. Try just sending him a copy of this without saying anything else... giving him the best wishes from the Trespasser Community. The Holidays are probably the best time for that. Maybe he sends back a letter thanking you or something.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
HUNDOLOS
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HUNDOLOS »

That'd be a nice gesture :)

The second best is possibly his brother btw, with a bit of practice anyway :D
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Wouldn't it be extremely jarring to hear not only someone who will, no matter how good we try, not sound quite right, and let alone, the recording quality would also be quite different that that from the game? Looking at the new scripts I put together, the un-recorded dialogue mixed with the recorded is totally jumbled. You could potentially hear un-recorded and recorded alternating many, many, times. The Hammond imposter would have to be SPOT ON in order for me to ever consider mixing the two. Even that would be a stretch.

And I certainly wouldn't be "chucking" his material away, lol. That's why I said there would be two separate versions of Jurassic Time quite different from each other: one with Attenburough's complete readings (which we have had since 2.0, as well as the new version, which is being discussed in the other forum topic, and has been for a few weeks now), and a separate new recording of all the un-recorded dialogue. In fact, I would probably make the new recording different in other areas to keep it a separate entity to be enjoyed as it's own thing. It's happened with film scores. Sometimes they will issue a complete set of the recorded music, and then they will also release a re-recording. Happened with Jaws, actually. And there were differences between the two (although the differences between these two entities would be FAR more drastic). Sometimes those re-recordings would even feature music that also wasn't ever recorded, only written.

The problem of sending ANYTHING to Attenburough now is that him, and his wife apparently, are in special care now, since they are selling off their estate. We could try to send something to him, and I wouldn't be opposed, but I do feel like it could be a huge waste of effort. And on the slim chance he did see what we have done, in his condition, could anyone expect him to do a performance for something like this when he has dropped from the film industry altogether, for health reasons, especially? The man was retired when he got hired to do Jurassic Park. It would be almost disrespectful to even ask such a request of him. And say he actually was interested? Who is going to record him? I suppose one could have him just read it over the phone and record that, as lo-tech as that would be, I guess. I know you didn't mean it as seriously as I am responding, Machf, but I'm just saying it out front now in case someone actually does seriously think we could get Richard to do new dialogue for us. It just won't happen, and honestly, shouldn't.

As for his brother, while that is actually more possible, I would love to see how we could communicate with him. If anyone has any info. on how, it could be an interesting gesture. But yet again, to have a high-profile person be interested in reading dialogue for something like this... for NO COST... it would have to be an insanely generous gesture to fans. Kind of like what Grossman did for us right here. The difference here though is that Grossman openly had his e-mail out there and blogs and etc. The Attenburoughs are clearly more private people, with more going on in their lives. Besides, Grossman had his own interests and reasons for also obtaining the script: he was proud (and rightfully so) of this script, and he wanted to have it back in his possession.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as irritated or whatever (I'm not in the best of moods right now, for unrelated reasons), I'm just trying to make a point. I'm more than happy for someone to accomplish otherwise by actually making a recording like THAT happen. I'd be the first to say that I was an idiot for not really trying. But I'm also trying to be more realistic about this in the most seamless way and most respectful way as possible.

That's why, in the end, there may NOT actually be a recording of this script. Which, honestly, will always make Jurassic Time feel terribly incomplete to me, personally. But it may just not work out in a way that will please anybody, especially me. It's a difficult decision on how to tackle this, and every time I think I know the best way, it suddenly doesn't feel right.

I should go yell at Grossman for him making his script not be fully recorded from the start. ;)
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

I think an impersonator could do a good job if they spent a bit of time listening to the existing recordings. The difficult part is the characteristics of his voice that are due to age. You would need an old man to replicate that correctly. You can do some amazing things with sound editing software, it wouldnt be difficult to replicate the echo and reverb in the original recordings. I think playing them back and re-recording them in a toilet or small empty room would almost do it.

I would put the word out that your after an impersonator, and get people to submit some readings. You might get a near perfect match, you never know unless you try.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I remember LtSten and I talked some years back in contacting Richard about the script we got back then, since LtSten lives in GB. However, I think his brother is a better chance, if we can find a way to contact him. He does a lot of work for BBC, so maybe they know something, or a fan mail.
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

You could also try some of the voice-actors that have already impersonated him in the past (Operation Genesis comes to mind, although I don't think it was a very good one), or even hold some auditions for actual voice-actors, and see what you can find there...

As much as I would like it, contacting Richard himself for this would be extremly unlikely. We don't know if he even remembers doing the voice-over for this game... But his brother could help, probably.