Trespasser Original Hammond Script RELEASED!

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser Original Hammond Script RELEASED!

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hooooooly smokes. Scall, congrats on finally finding this! And many thanks to Austin. I honestly didn't think we'd get any further on this search front. Still working my way through the text... really interested in the description of the facilities as built in waves/rings. Sounds like that PV gate really was meant to be used in many places as fanlevels like to do. And I really want to see this landing Muldoon shoots dinosaurs from - reminds me of TFT.

For recording voiceovers, I officially volunteer to give it a go. I'll have to see how Hammondy I can sound, lol, but what I know I can do extremely well is impersonating the *way* he says each line, and replicating this onto the new lines. I've been doing it instinctively in my head as I read the new ones. 8) However I won't have access to the needed recording utilities for a few weeks, so patience may be in order..
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

scallenger wrote:could anyone expect him to do a performance for something like this when he has dropped from the film industry altogether, for health reasons, especially? The man was retired when he got hired to do Jurassic Park. It would be almost disrespectful to even ask such a request of him. And say he actually was interested? Who is going to record him? I suppose one could have him just read it over the phone and record that, as lo-tech as that would be, I guess. I know you didn't mean it as seriously as I am responding, Machf, but I'm just saying it out front now in case someone actually does seriously think we could get Richard to do new dialogue for us. It just won't happen, and honestly, shouldn't.
Of course I didn't mean it seriously, that's why I included the :wink: and said immediately afterwards "Now, seriously". Just send him the thing as a present with best wishes and don't expect anything. Don't even *ask* for anything, in the first place. Just let him know he's appreciated for that part of his work too. I mean, jeez, do you know his professional career? He's done lots of great things...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
scallenger
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by scallenger »

Draconisaurus wrote:For recording voiceovers, I officially volunteer to give it a go. I'll have to see how Hammondy I can sound, lol, but what I know I can do extremely well is impersonating the *way* he says each line, and replicating this onto the new lines. I've been doing it instinctively in my head as I read the new ones. 8) However I won't have access to the needed recording utilities for a few weeks, so patience may be in order..
As much as I appreciate the gesture, I really want to find someone closer to Hammond's age to do the complete voiceover recording, otherwise I was going to do it myself anyway. It may be hard to find someone a bit older (any old folks around here?! ;)) but I want it to really feel real, and not completely imitated, as much as possible. No matter how old you and I try to sound, Draco, even with voice altering post-production, it'll just end up feeling nothing more than that slo-mo recording device that was used in Home Alone 2 (hahahaha).

Otherwise we may end up with something like THIS. Not really, lol! I could do much better that THAT. But you get the idea. ;)

In other news, me and Hilwo are collaborating on some cool plans for this otherwise. So stay tuned! :D
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

I notice that "Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time, it'll be flawless!" (pg38) isn't "boxed", but was recorded and included in the game (VH150). This might suggest that some other lines were, too. Whether this means they're actually still available somewhere.. I somehow doubt it. :P

This is an excellent read, thanks Scall! If it'd be convenient to re-type this and thus lower the filesize, I'd be happy to undertake the task, although I doubt it's of that much importance..
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
masterchiefoo7
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by masterchiefoo7 »

Scall, this is really cool.

I can see why they took Gallimus out, being similar to the raptor and all, but why even consider it? why not a compy or diliophosaur?

And you should contact the Voice Actor for Operation Genesis, he might be able to provide a similar voice. Or you can try this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6etg_fX1Pw
Hammond: When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!

Ian: Yeah, but when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists...

visit my website @ http://www.freewebs.com/masterchiefoo7
HUNDOLOS
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HUNDOLOS »

Hardesty is pretty cool at the impression (and he has funny stuff otherwise), but he doesn't sound Hammond's age, sadly.

Also they probably wanted the Gallimimus because it's recognisable from the first movie.
3insanity
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by 3insanity »

Just got a chance to check this out. Thanks again for all your hard work Scallenger :D
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

You're welcome. :) I'm still amazed I was actually able to acquire it after all of these years, heh. It almost felt like I was posting a joke as I put it up online, lol.

Anyone have anything to say about this? Theories, ideas? Thoughts on a good Hammond impersonator (that sounds of his age)?
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Hey Scal, I don't wanna get your hopes up here mate, but this morning i realized i know the most perfect person to do a Hammond impersonation.

I was listening to Anne's Adventure while at work and i was thinking about people who sounded like him and i remembered a customer i was really good friends with when i worked at a Coffee shop about a year and a half back. This man's about the same age as Hammond was in the first film, he's an englishman who probably sounds more like David than Richard, but thinking back on conversations we had, i don't know how i didn't make the connection sooner. He would quite often whisper when he talked and its quite uncanny how much he sounds like David the more i think about it.

I haven't seen him for a while, but he owns a local bookshop, so he won't be hard to track down. He's an educated and quite witty man who i think would be able to pull it off if he was committed to it, but i just don't know if he would be brave enough to try.

I'll have to plan my proposal carefully as to not scare him or put too much pressure on him. I'll burn a CD of Jurassic Time for him to listen to and get a feel for the readings and what Trespasser was all about. I think it would be best to leave it with him along with a copy of the script, and to not rush him and he might be interested.

The only thing holding me back from visiting him this week, is that i have a quite a few new lines planned for my own project, and i wouldn't want to ask him to do this twice, I'd rather wait till i knew what i needed and got him to read them all at once.

Over the next couple of weeks i'll try and work out what i need for my project, and ill speak to you more about the lines from the script and perhaps work on making my own lines sound more Hammond-ish. Once that's done i can visit him and see what he thinks.
3insanity
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by 3insanity »

s13n1 if you find the guy and he sounds as good as you say he does I'll find a way to fundraise the money to get him in a studio. Hell I'll fly to Australia and record him myself.
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

OMG! He sounds perfect! I'll try not to get my hopes up, but how can I not?

Yeah, definitely give him a copy of Jurassic Time (2.0, hehe), and I guess we could simply use the script as-is since it includes direction right in there! Just make sure that whoever records him (if it happens) to of course just record one block of dialogue at a time, like they did in the game. That way I can re-arrange and re-edit like JT to my heart's content.

I hope we can pull this off! It would be amazing!
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Ill try to keep things as informal as possible to not put pressure on him. I have my doubts over his willingness to do it, because hes a bit shy/ cheeky and may be a little embarrassed about recording his impersonation in front of someone.

What ill be sure of is to get hold of a very capable stereo recording device with very simple controls that i can leave with him. Ill try and organize him to do it in a smallish solid walled room to minimize tinniness and echo. Reverb and echo can be added along with bass and pitch adjustments later to fine tune it. You know i think with enough editing, some of those throaty-gravely characteristics of Richards voice could be recorded separately and layered in, if he wasnt able to impersonate them. It would take some time, but i reckon it would work.

I dont know what program you use for your editing, but Ableton Live is an amazing tool that would be perfect for Jurassic Time. Its overkill on many levels, but its a dream to use. Ive used it for a few years for DJing and its worth every dollar. It would be more than capable of assembling the audio and also performing all effects. Hell you could even manipulate existing phrases and rearrange them, then adjust the pitch to create all new voice overs.

Ive always been a little put off by the changes in levels, pitch and bass of the original recordings and even though it would take some work, you could quite easily normalize them with Ableton and get them all sounding the same. It would also be really good for extending certain musical pieces, which ive noticed you did throughout jurassic time in a few spots.
thegregster101
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by thegregster101 »

loved reading it. was a real thrill!
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

So, s13n1, were you able to ever get that guy to consider reading as Hammond?

Btw, as mentioned in the thread, I was about to go and seek out the guy who did Hammond in Operation Genesis. Thought the possibility would have been cool, considering he too had played Hammond before, of sorts.

Well... it turns out the actor that played him, Charles 'Bud' Tingwell, died back in 2009. :(

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0863968/#Actor

So... looks like we can officially throw out that idea. Because of this, unless we can get an older actor that sounds close to Hammond, I pretty much want to rule out any updated audio edition of Jurassic Time that would add the new dialogue (except for the updated version I was going to do anyway, mostly for the sake of the music being heard in stereo entirely this time, among other minor and not-so-minor changes of structure thanks to this script). However, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, unless life gets in my way AGAIN... I really would like to do a PDF/Text book version of the new dialogue set in Jurassic Time story order, with the aid of Hilwo's photography from the game. Until I at least do that, I feel like my work is not complete with this.
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

I thought this random bit of info. would be best suited in this thread and not the Jurassic Time one.

In my preparing and reorganizing and other research I've been doing to make the best (hopefully, HOPEFULLY final) Jurassic Time, I came up with some numbers that I think people may be interested in "just because".
Total Blocks Of Dialogue In Original Hammond Script: 243

Total Blocks Recorded: 162

Total Blocks Unrecorded: 81
Note: Blocks don't mean "lines" or "sentences". Each block often contains more than one.

The numbers above take into account the two blocks that ended up being recorded (VH150 and VH162), for whatever reasons, despite their appearance of being unboxed (unrecorded) in the original script. So only 81 blocks are truly unrecorded. As one can imagine, this is quite a bit of material left unrecorded!

All 162 of the boxed/recorded blocks (including the two unboxed ones mentioned above) are available in the game files between the retail and beta. Before we got a hold of the previously released (and confirmed by Grossman to also be genuine, btw) Hammond Voiceover List from one of the developers, we had once thought there were still two voiceovers missing between both retail and beta; VH29 and VH140. This proved false after looking at both this Voiceover List and the Original Script.

In both list and script, VH29 is:
I began to have my first inkling of the seriousness of our work -- how deep the well was. This was life from 65 or 100 million years before mankind.
But in both retail and beta TPAs it is nowhere to be found... on it's own. Instead this block became used in combination with an Anne line, in VC H29 - A64:
Hammond: I began to have my first inkling of the seriousness of our work -- how deep the well was. This was life from 65 or 100 million years before mankind.
Anne: I've really done it... this is not a normal situation.
Similar circumstance for VH140:
As my name was read out, the session-room went silent. I walked up the aisle towards the stand. I was being called to account. But I had no clear explanation to give.
In the TPAs, VH140 ends up being edited onto VH139, and includes some sound effects to boot (most likely edited together to make it more like a scene):
On October the 3rd, 1989 I sat on a wooden bench in the waiting room in Washington DC. The government panel put me on the stand. As my name was read out, the session room went silent. I walked up the isle towards the stand. I was being called to account. But I had no clear explanation to give.
So there you have it! All of the boxed/recorded dialogue is accounted for, according to both list and original script. So, I think at this point it seems next to unlikely that anything else was ever recorded. Sure, the two unboxed anomalies that ended up being recorded do make one pause and wonder... but I think both of those were unique circumstances. Either Richard or Austin saw these bits, had an interest in them, and perhaps had just enough extra time to record them. VH150, being a line from the first film, probably attracted interest for Richard to do a classic line of his again. VH162, being a famous, and fitting, poem, may have been just too fun to pass up for either one of them.

Never say never, but I really do think we've got it all, folks. And even if we didn't, at this point, where on Earth would the rest of it ever be located? Haha. Because clearly even the Voiceover List was from AT LEAST the beta-era of the game, and it all checks out. Even if more betas surfaced, I think at this point it would all remain the same, the only difference being maybe we would find VH29 and VH140 in their original separated states (which honestly wouldn't be all that interesting). If there really had been any more, it must only be locked away with the ORIGINAL recordings. Now THOSE I would love to get my hands on to have all his dialogue in great quality! But it's surely not ever meant to be. I doubt even the developers would even have them, especially at this point. I know Austin Grossman surely doesn't, which is why he was so thrilled with Jurassic Time in the first place.

So, I am even more glad that we do at least have the full story in the form of Grossman's original script. Now being transformed into a complete PDF book in Jurassic Time: Excavated (minus a couple discrepancies of the dialogue that need light changes and a couple lines that seem to either be alternates or redundancies), and re-imagined in part in Jurassic Time: Annotated. Both of which you can read more about here.