Swap_Viewer

List your programs here (game-related or other software).

Moderators: scallenger, Rebel, madppiper, TresCom Support Team

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Swap_Viewer

Post by Rebel »

I had actually posted about this over a week ago (I had deleted the original post), but I quickly came to realize how damn unstable the program was and I felt a bit stupid for posting it up prematurely. Good to go now (at least on my machine).

Anyways, it's based on PenguiN's old SwpExt program (THS Member /THIS Tools code is also available on same page) and it's basically just a swap viewer (though you can save the images) as the name implies. The read_me file included gives a more descript instruction and usage. The link is on my sig. (temp_page) for anyone interested.
makairu
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Antispam: No

Re: Swap_Viewer

Post by makairu »

I'm sure this will come in handy. thanks :)
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Oh yes, I remember reading your original post, but I didn't reply because I didn't have time to test your app. yet.
It works for me, but I get a lot of "Data missing or could not be read" messages.
I wish I could browse through instead of going through each texture one by one, but I won't complain.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Maybe if you use a slider instead of buttons... how is currently the texture# being processed?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Haha, this is quite a fun and handy little app, thanks Reb! I've just spent an entertaining few minutes going through the old swap file from ED :lol: Though it didn't quite find everything for some reason. I was never able to successfully repopulate the SWP for that level.. Anyways great job. As machf pointed out, it can be a minor issue to have to navigate through the entire SWP click-by-click, but this is great to have.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, nice to hear a few founding at least slightly entertaining. It generally doesn't find all the textures, it skips over some entries although I'm not entirely certain why. File pointer error in some cases perhaps, other times it just misses the data read and fan based levels have inaccuracies due to the fact the .pids used are not pristine and most likely have data pertaining to .bmps not actually inside the swap. My math sort of sucks too, so I'm certain some of it's my fault -

Machf, about all I'd be able to do with a slider control is to set the file pointer either ahead or behind where one was presently viewing the .bmps. If you mean, create like a slide show whereas you'd grab the slider and the images would rapidly change, well I can't think up a method of doing that (it could probably be done, but by someone else with a little more smarts). You'd still need arrow_buttons to draw the images. I threw something together like that this morning, though as normal when I throw something new into the mix, the program becomes buggy.

I did manage to find a few unused textures; looks like a few .bmps belonging to the trex inside the beta's testscene swap and a rather odd .bmp of a para in the ascent level. I can't see it being mapped onto a model, I also don't recall seeing a para in that level. Or was it always there and I just never noticed?
Attachments
ascent para image
ascent para image
as_para.gif (28.67 KiB) Viewed 18195 times
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

The Para is in quite a few beta level basements (including PVs) but not actually used in most of them.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Sure, I won't dispute that, I just meant that the above .bmp seems an inappropriate fit for a texture map, especially one for a dinosaur. They're all bump mapped and this one isn't, it just seems like it was sort of packed into the swap without use.

@Edit: The TrackBar (or Slider) version is up on the temp_page. There's a single quirk I know of n' listed in the read_me file.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

There's a discussion about that para in the Beta section. The theory is that the original para seen here used a 512x512 bmp, thrown together early in production and taken straight from TLW concept art, as you guys did with the TC Para (except split into 3 or 4). When the game texture limit became 256x256, they didn't bother to split it up at the time and kept it mapped with only that. Probably only ever meant to be temporary. For some reason it survived into several beta levels and even makes an ingame appearance in IT, if your computer doesn't crash on approach.
The theory is also supported by this image, which suggests 512x512 bmps were used for the green rex even after it had been reduced in poly, but the engine doesn't support that of course so..
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, that single texture used for the para was apparently temporary as it is listed as paratest.bmp (or something like that). Most likely, they were still working on the artwork as it's apparent that texture isn't well suited for mapping.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Is it possible somehow to export a texture with it's original texture name? If you hack the pid etc?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, the pid only contains the hash ID (the generated crc value of the texture name), the texture names themselves are inside the grf & this program doesn't load those files to extract that info & match it with the hash inside the pid. So presently, no. To be honest, I wasn't planning on doing anything further with the program myself. Most likely, the latest version on my temp page was probably the last update.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmmm... So that means there might be some textures in SWP files that, because they are not found in the GRF of that level, cannot even be given a name. Well so much for getting the name of that stone head :?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

You can use my program for those, too, not just the sound names... they are encoded in the same way. Good luck, though.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

I'm writing an app to dump the GROFF and PID data, would be nifty if I could use your app's source to draw the textures in the window pane though (I can do it myself, but I'd rather not be using OpenGL just to draw a texture) I've also got a bit of know-how in the Win32 & COM department, I might be able to add a few extra controls in there to aid some people.

BTW I've lost access to most of my source-codes... so I can't remember or even refer to my source-code for the LZ decompression code :\
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!