Best programming language.

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Best programming language.

Post by the ARK »

I've been thinking about writing some little program for hacking Operation:Genesis, and I was wondering what I should use to do so. The program would probably just assist the computer-disinclined to impliment hacks in the files.
This is truly one of the most disappointing moments in gaming history. Gamers are being reduced to digging through the game's installed files to discover what was supposed to happen in the game they just bought.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

This is probably a matter of opinion, wouldn't you say? Personally, they should standardize the whole coding affair rather than produce lame changes or attempt to trump the other. Some languages have similar styles, though certain commands and arrangements are changed, like Pascal and C++.

In C++ you'd use cout>> "print this";
In Pascal you'd use write ('print that'); similiar syntax, but they just have to be different!

Other things are changed about:

In C++ you'd use int x;
In Pascal, it's reversed x: integer; (whereas, you're declaring the variable's name first, unlike in C)

Unfortunately, I don't know much of either language, just screw with the stuff from time to time, though I imagine that Andres, Remdul, Sky or someone else may be able to help you make an appropriate decision.
the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

Do they cost much?
This is truly one of the most disappointing moments in gaming history. Gamers are being reduced to digging through the game's installed files to discover what was supposed to happen in the game they just bought.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

The languages are free, learning them can cost you some. You can download a free compiler at;

http://www.bloodshed.net/

However, I'd suggest purchasing yourself a book, a tutorial on the programming language of your choice (C++ has alot of reference material out there). There's also some tutorials out on the web which you can read at your leisure.
the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

Forgive my stupidity, but what does a compiler do?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Changes your source code into an executable which in turn becomes a program.

Here's a good source to catch up on a little basic reading:

http://www.cprogramming.com/
the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

Thanks, and congratulations on 500 posts. :wink:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, Hell's Bells, 500! Woohoo!

Someone, release the balloons and throw the confetti. I'll go get the champagne. :wink:

*Your welcome. Though I'm not the best source of information when it comes to programming, but I appear to be the only one around at the moment, so....
the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

I just need to get a basic understanding for now, as my computer is currently broken, so I'll have to wait before I can make progress.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, if you purchase the C++ desktop reference for dummies (don't take it personally, since I didn't when I purchased it (25$)) it's written plainly, has a free compiler taped to the back cover of the book and you can actually install the lesson plans then test, learn and comprehend the code on your computer while you progress through the book.

Or, you can simply read it --
the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

I'll probably just check it out at the library.
Sk8er
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by Sk8er »

Rebel wrote:Well, Hell's Bells, 500! Woohoo!
:lol: Never heard that one before... :D
the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

How long does it usually take to learn C++ and start writing programs?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

You can actually construct your first program, Day 1, though more complex and useful programs will obviously take a bit longer and depend upon how much time you put into it. There's alot to absorb, but if you've got the smarts and commitment for it, I'd say that in a few month's time you can become quite proficient at it.
the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

How long will the program I'm trying to make take to make (no pun intended)? Basically, it needs to open certaim files, tell the user certain parts of the code and allow the user to make changes to those parts in the code. Later, it will also allow people to choose to change their files back to their original state or certain, more general settings (Easy, Medium, Hard, Unlimited Buildings, Etc.)

Sorry for the continuing questions, but I'd like to know what I'm in for.