Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Existing versions of Trespasser

Post by tatu »

I am gonna guess Japanese and Chinese were planned but was never made, or released. As we know non-English versions are Build 117 I would guess they were made after anyway.

I don't think I've seen a French copy yet. I know I've seen an Italian copy but I guess it might be the English version, which is weird as they dub everything in Italy.

The German and Spanish version we know, I also used to have a copy on the PC of both of them but sadly lost both.

Then of course we have all the box versions that were translated into local languages. :P
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I do recall my Chinese version of the game, which was only Chinese on the disc art, the game itself being English. I wonder what this means? Maybe the subtitles were given in the various languages not otherwise modified from English?
tatu

Post by tatu »

I sent a PM to a seller on Ebay that sold the Italian version of the game. That person don't remember it being dubbed as they could not understand anything. :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
cynodesmus
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by cynodesmus »

There is also a version translated into Russian.
Basic version 116

Unfortunately, this game was not sold under a license.
The game was released at a time when the mechanisms were just being formed allowing you to purchase a truly licensed disc, and not a skillfully made "copy".

However, if we touch on the edition itself, then the menu buttons (Russian-language names) were changed there, the logo of the company that released this version of the disc was added.

Videos were re-voiced, the speeches of the heroes in the game itself, and the credits were also translated.

Unfortunately, the game was not dubbed by professional actors. Also, probably people just read the text provided to them, since the intonation does not always correspond to the plot of the game. Nevertheless - people tried.
And, it was a good option for that time.

The title part deserves a separate discussion: there is a very big problem there.
There is no Cyrillic support in the game.
The authors of the publication translated the text into Russian, then transformed this text into ... uh ... I find it difficult to explain.
In general, in those countries where non-Latin letters are used, additional characters are applied to the keyboard. And, in the OS settings, switching of the language set is used to correctly display the typed text.
The translators of the game - the Russian text was printed with the indication of the encoding in Latin. And, for correct display in the system, a modified font was drawn.

Unfortunately, I don't remember if this method worked correctly in 1998. Since I played without displaying subtitles, listening to the voices of the translators.
But now - this method does not work. :(

After listening to the voices of the actors of the original version, I wanted to go through the game again, but adding Russian credits to it.
I re-translated the text of the game into Russian. And, I faced the same problem that arose back in 1998.

P.S. By the way, perhaps this text below is one of the features of this disc edition:

Quote from the magazine "Igromania" № 12/15 1998 | Guides and walkthroughs
"... The fourth level.
A very unpleasant level. Firstly, everything on it, including you, is covered with strange dirt, which incredibly slows down the processes in the computer. Even Velociraptors, of which there are a lot in the city, are not orange or red, as usual, but some kind of orange-purple. Secondly, there are a lot of predators at the level. Naturally, their number increases from level to level, but there are already so many of them that the game turns into almost pure 3d-action. ..... "

P.P.S. If you have any ideas on how to use Cyrillic symbols in the game, I would be glad to get help.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Welcome to TresCom!

Even if the "official" Russian release was a bootleg, we, or at least I would be interesting in getting copy for historical purposes. If possible could you send me a PM to me with it?

I believe if you use the CE Patch, it is possible it has support for it. It is also possible the TPA files themselves doesn't support the characters, but that would be something for Rebel or machf to answer.

cynodesmus
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by cynodesmus »

Hello everybody.

Only now I realized that by writing the first message on the forum, I did not say hello. :(
Apparently from an overabundance of emotions.

I wrote to the PM.

I changed the credits in the TPA. TPA_Player - displays them normally, but in the game the text is displayed in a different code page.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Interesting version. I am gonna guess the game don't have support for Cyrillic language, neither does TresEd appear to have. Beach was modified for the tutorial levels.
What is interesting in this is that it appears the menu button files in /menu is completely gone.

Do you know if your copy is from 1998 or later? The folders and GID file say 2008 but the modified files, the TPAs and the modified Beach is 1998 and right around it was released. If it is from 1998, that is really interesting as I don't believe the community had any tools to even modify TPA files back then.

cynodesmus
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by cynodesmus »

As far as I remember, 1998 - the localization was released at that time. Since, a large delay in the exit - for the most part, made it impossible to earn money.

Probably, the copy that I provided could have been changed by someone. I have the original. I will look for original discs in my collection, but I will need some time. I will write about the results in a personal.

P.S. This is probably offtopic, but another reason is unlikely to be presented: If the situation with the localization of games in Russia of that period is interesting, there are several videos with a story about it.
Spoiler: show
Here is one of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpCsBwfxWKM

And, a short text interview with one of the actors who took part in the translations: https://games.mail.ru/pc/articles/feat/ ... shih_dnej/
View / read using automatic translation services. Probably, some of the meaning will be lost ... but, the main material will become clearer.

This is to somehow brighten up the expectation of results from me.
UPD: I sent my copies. These originals are valid in 1998. Dumps were not edited. Everything is as it is.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I wonder how they manage to translate the game that early unless they somehow had an official tool. It is still really impressive. And thanks for sharing the stuff, I personally see it as a part of Trespasser history. :)

cynodesmus
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by cynodesmus »

Oh, it was akin to a detective film: à la "catch up with ..."
The first wave appeared discs without localization.
The first localized releases came out on the 6th day. In the most difficult cases, the process could take up to 14 days.
About 3 months later, a "Golden Release" could appear - if the game was so popular that fixing localization shortcomings of previous releases could make a profit.

Compressors / decompressors of files - were written "on the knee".
If the audio / video format was not standard, the corresponding codecs were created.

Reverse engineering in its purest form.

Unfortunately (for obvious reasons) it is now impossible to find the programs that were used for this work. Perhaps this software is kept by someone, but ... this is a secret that we are unlikely to find out.

By the way, the profit received (minus the payment of "personnel") - went to the legal development of games. A paradoxical situation.
In any case, this is not pure parasitism. Since, the profit from the games created was significantly less.
This is somewhat reminiscent of the story of Robin Hood ...
But, I moved away from the topic.
Moreover, no one encourages piracy.
P.S. I managed to achieve readable text in Russian in the game:
Original:
Original_s.png
Original_s.png (995.28 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
Bad text:
Bad_s.png
Bad_s.png (1020.68 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
Good text:
OK_s.png
OK_s.png (771.78 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
I think it's realistic to translate the game into any language.
However, there are a number of difficulties ... over which I am now thinking and formulating a question for the interested part of the community.
However, this is already a conversation for a new topic.
tatu

Post by tatu »

The Portuguese version has finally been uploaded to the internet. The ISO is corrupt so it is not a pure clone, but the uploaded mentioned which files was replaced to preserve the dubbing!
Version is 117.

https://archive.org/details/trespasser-pt-br

This means that we should have all known official localized versions of the game. Should definitely get a page on the download section to allow people to get the various TPAs at some point. :)

Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Cool! Somebody should get Nem back here :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh I wonder how he is doing these days. His mod still stands out a lot.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

tatu wrote:This means that we should have all known official localized versions of the game.
Aren't we still missing French?
tatu

Post by tatu »

Nick3069 wrote:
tatu wrote:This means that we should have all known official localized versions of the game.
Aren't we still missing French?
Negative. It was found about 3 years ago but on a site I can't really link here. :)