Return of hppav's updates! Update 12-24-09 VC Exterior

65 million years in the making - hppav's Isla Nublar mod!

Moderators: scallenger, Rebel, Sky, madppiper

jetblack
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Antispam: No

Re: Return of hppav's updates! Update 8-3-09 *VC Video*

Post by jetblack »

Oh....my God. That looks AMAZING. I SOOOO need that....
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Dang, I've gotten up to 90 pre-alpha screenshots already.

There'll be a new image update on Tuesday but I will tell you that the inside of the visitor center is looking great. I've also done quite a bit more than just work on the interior, but you'll see when I post an image update :P
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Total Pre-Alpha screenshots from this attempt: 134. That's enough to make a "Making of Jurassic Park Oblivion" book :P

Anyway, today is the mega update! You're going to love this.

Did some serious work on the main hall. I wanted to be done with it by today but I got sidetracked by a sudden virus infestation on my computer that occurred yesterday afternoon. It corrupted all of my archives of BigRed's ATX releases and a couple of files from when I was at Ivy Tech.

I also made a bunch of custom terrain textures and placed all of the tall trees that are on the filming locations right now.

And the gate returns!

And so does the Raptor Pen!

Here you get to see some of those "JPO Models" we put in ED being used for their true purpose :P

I connected 8 connection machines but haven't debugged the two million lines of code yet :P
And all of those track lights have bulbs when playing but when I took the screenshot they didn't show up... idk why. Never heard of a glitch like that.

And here's a map of the compound thus far marking most of the major film locations. I made the layout by combining the filming locations for the Raptor Pen and the Visitor Center (the roads actually link up like this when you put them together, it's great). The gate location, however, I haven't found on Google Maps (It's real location, not the location some goofball with a picture marked when they uploaded it).
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Return of hppav's updates! Update 8-10-09 *HUGE UPDATE*

Post by Draconisaurus »

8) Great!! Particularly like the shot with the direction posts. And the grass color has turned out nicely in the end. ;) Fits the foliage perfectly. Dirt looks good, too.

Hmmm.. Personally, I think that tree looming over the right turret of the VC could do to be a bit bigger and more looming. It looks so cool in the movie screenshot.
Can't believe you got that much of the Control Room ingame already! :o
hppav wrote:I connected 8 connection machines but haven't debugged the two million lines of code yet :P
WIN!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Quick, a bucket, or I may drown in my own drool...!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

I think maybe I should update those jp1 raptor skins
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

I guess since it's the same day I can post another image based update :P

I still have to fix the textures for the room (It still has the floor tiles instead of the "red wood" texture).
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Return of hppav's updates! Update 8-10-09-2 *Control Room!*

Post by Draconisaurus »

Are you frakkin kidding me?! :sick: Wow. I see you found that old quad-TV monitor I textured for you XD What about the chairs??? I was very proud of them.. or maybe I just finished one of them.. but it was good.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Actually I recreated it and used the images from My Received Files to recreate the textures. The work you had done was all lost, remember :P
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

:P Yeah I remember some screenshots and crap were recovered.. Damn, I can't find where I put them. But anyway - the textures I made were designed to look as old as the sites in Trespasser. The textures I'm seeing here all look new :P Make yo mind up, son. (TBH, I kinda like seeing the place this new.. more nostalgia)
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Draconisaurus wrote::P Yeah I remember some screenshots and crap were recovered.. Damn, I can't find where I put them. But anyway - the textures I made were designed to look as old as the sites in Trespasser. The textures I'm seeing here all look new :P Make yo mind up, son. (TBH, I kinda like seeing the place this new.. more nostalgia)
Here's my rationale:

The Visitor Center was designed specifically to minimize the amount of damage in the event of a hurricane. There are almost no windows in the entire building. The Cafe, Main Hall, Kitchen, Reception Hall, and the turrets are the only parts of the VC that have windows. Most of the windows are small, which would minimize damage during a storm. As opposed to the novel where the entire building was glass (more like the Operations Building in the Lost World).

The Cafe, Main Hall, and Kitchen we know survived the tropical storm with no damage whatsoever. The only major damage to the VC itself occurred afterwards when the T-Rex smashed through an unfinished wall and ripped through a tarp, threw skeletons and raptors all over the place, and destroyed a banner with his mighty roar.

It's also fairly inland from the shore, making it less likely to flood. It's in a bowl shaped area with mountains to the north, east, and west as well as a ridge to the south, which would disrupt winds making them less likely to cause damage to the structure.

This was all probably done on purpose to protect the building from damage in the event of a hurricane/tropical storm. For realism sake, though, I will have hurricane damage in the reception hall and one of the turrets because we know a major hurricane (Hurricane Clarissa) moved through the area and made a direct hit on Isla Sorna, though not necessarily a direct hit on Isla Nublar), wiping out all of the major facilities on that island. The eye hit Sorna, meaning that the winds blew one way for one half of the storm and then the other way for the other half of the storm, maximizing damage.

And, as you said, having it look still halfway decent on the inside maximizes nostalgia :P However, if you look, here's the signs of aging inside the center:
the carpets are pale
the walls are slightly dirtier
the metal parts on the top of the twin columns in the control room have rusted brown
the computers are slightly yellowed (slightly)
The "thatched roofing" detail of the inside of the main hall has all fallen out, revealing the wooden structure behind them.

And here's the sign of aging on the exterior of the center:
Some of the windows are scratched
The walls are dark and dirty
The thatched roofing has paled from sun bleaching
The waterfalls on the front no longer function

Very subtle hints on the inside but the aging is apparent on the outside. That's how I planned it from the beginning. You're probably thinking it should appear like the Ops Center but that was full of busted windows and didn't really have a full roof and was on top of some water (enabling plantlife to thrive inside and the jungle and raptors to creep inside. The VC is mostly sealed and doesn't have the sunlight to enable plants to thrive. Plus it has a basement that would prevent plants from taking root in the first and second floors.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I happen to have watched the complete series of "Life After People" on History, so I know better than to think all that could survive indefinitely or even for extended periods of time. Of course, in your game it's been.. what, four-five years? I forget..

Your note about a lack of many windows is rather valid, but there are rather a lot in the main hall. The main hall itself should look like a disaster - including those bones everywhere, and some other structural damage. At least some windows in the cafeteria would be blown out, damaging everything in there. The back room of the kitchen is probably all fine, other than rotting food... The control room is probably pretty good, BUT! Remember, it suffered excessive damage when the raptor broke in. Busted computers on the ground, an overturned ladder, broken glass... ;)
I can't emphasize enough - the main hall is going to be completely trashed, covered with leaves and dirt, and some plants growing in the cracks etc, with lots of weather wear. It should look pretty cool, though, and.. you should wait to dirty things up, I s'pose, until the VC as a whole is complete. A little secret with the leaves - instead of applying it to the floor texture, add them using little planes of leaves on top of the floor. Same with mold in some areas.
(I'd like to note that the texture you're currently using for the VC exterior already is actually pretty decent)

...I also still think it would be fun to do some mini-levels where everything is as it was during the movie, with little objectives and such.. So, keeping a "clean" version of the entire VC stashed away may still have benefits down the road.

I do agree, flooding is probably not an issue, but water is still going to get into the main hall.

Oh and for those who haven't seen it -
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

It's only been 3 and a half years since JP1 in this mod. I know for a fact that windows don't just "Blow out" in that time period. It's vandalism that destroys windows. You also seem to forget that the windows in the rotunda are in fact NOT windows, but illuminated panels. 6 windows, even if they are big, aren't "lots of windows" and we know they survived not only the storm, but the dinosaur rampage afterward. And since only raptors and maybe a T-Rex patrol the area, I doubt they did much in those three years because we have yet to see raptors mindlessly tear through building structure, they need a reason, and since there are no people in the building they have largely no reason to try to get into it.

You won't have plants growing in the main hall because there is nothing for them to grow in. There is a garage immediately below it and it's a steel and concrete construction. Sure there would be leaves and bones all over, some mold due to being open to the outside, but most of the leaves and mold would be near the opening, it wouldn't fill the main hall completely.

As for the control room, the raptor DID NOT knock over computers. She jumped onto the desk, yes, but the computers stayed on the table. In fact, after busting the window, the only further damage she did was bust out a ceiling tile. After that she left and went out one of the supposedly locked VC Tour ride doors (I swear, they must have busted the ride when they escaped to get into the lab). That tour ride is preventing elements from coming in through the busted window as well, effectively sealing the room completely from anything, even if there is damage to the roof of the tour tunnel (Which there isn't because there is no evidence to support any major structural damage to the VC. There wasn't even any structural damage to the Ops Center, it just had all of it's windows blown out due to the fact that it is nothing but windows and the pressure wasn't equal.

And the pressure is equal in the VC due to the rex damage in the main hall.

EDIT: I also need all of the computers workable so that the park can be brought online. Hard to do that if you are out half of the computers :P

For the security screens, there will be several shots that the camera is fuzzy or snowy or brings up a black screen which says "CAMERA XX SEC XX OFF LINE" since I doubt all of the cameras in the park still work after three years of tropical storms and the odd hurricane.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

All I have to say is, "Life After People"...

Oh and, there does in fact seem to be some damage in the tour window :|

hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Draconisaurus wrote:All I have to say is, "Life After People"...
All I have to say is I don't believe half of what that show says. I already said it was based off of Pripyat, Ukraine, and an abandoned island called Battleship Island. The Chernobyl Power Pant, whose construction matches the VC the closest (concrete and steel) still looks a lot like it did in 1986 despite VIRTUALLY NO MAINTENANCE for the last 23 years (The country can barely afford to perform maintenance on the important part, the sarcophagus covering the blown up reactor). The History Channel did some filming in the plant recently in the control room for one of the other blocks and it still looks largely like it did in 1986.

Save for some rust and paint chipping on the metal pieces.

The control room for Reactor 4 has more rust than that of the control room for Reactor 3.

The Jurassic Park Control Room's computers are largely plastic and wouldn't have many signs of age other than yellowing.

Then there is this building, which is similar to the VC Main Hall in that it has huge windows on the front:

This is how it looked when it was still in operation in 1986.

Here it is years after the abandonment, the windows still intact.

And in 2005, 19 YEARS after abandonment, the windows are STILL intact.

Here it is in 2008, people have stolen the windows. I'm serious, they seriously cut out the frames and hauled them away.
Draconisaurus wrote:Oh and, there does in fact seem to be some damage in the tour window :|

Yeah, it comes through the Tour window, that's why Grant shot it :P

And the raptor wouldn't jump through the circle windows because they have security wires in it :P