Nitpicking

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Nitpicking

Post by machf »

Well, I wanted to try a few things now that I finished the game. So I used the level cheat to get to that training level; nice to see the dominoes falling. I tried the "dinos" cheat, but it didn't seem to work. Funny, after I paralized a raptor with two shots and then killed it with another gun, from the next spawn raptor onwards, they'd all be paralized from the beginning. It was funny to beat a raptor to death with a baseball bat... but when I tried to drop a beam on its head, the beam kept bouncing back. I suppose it only works when you drop it from a higher place...

Then I tried the town level... still couldn't get the dinos cheat to work, and neither did the invul one. And who said those critters can't enter buildings? They sure can, and I have the screenshot to prove it! Anyway, I cleaned the town from raptors, then grabbed two fully loaded AK-47s (I have another one nearby that's almost full and there's a fourth one still at the center), exited the town walls, climbed the big rock and watched the two rexes fight over the parasaurolophus. After one was killed, I opened fire on the surviving (and heavily wounded) T-rex. Took me one and a half clips, but I finally killed it. So, that means it can be done, but you need enough ammo. I may try reloading my savegame from the lab level and using all the remaining weapons on the T-Rex.

BTW, is there a way to attach images to the posts? I also took a screenshot of the dead rexes, and I have the one from the autographed rock near the fallen jeep in the jungle...
the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

The invul cheat has never worked. The dinos cheat is disabled if you have either patch installed.
This is truly one of the most disappointing moments in gaming history. Gamers are being reduced to digging through the game's installed files to discover what was supposed to happen in the game they just bought.
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

The dinos cheat is lame anyway... ;)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

the ARK wrote:The invul cheat has never worked. The dinos cheat is disabled if you have either patch installed.
I suspected that. Maybe there should be a couple of notes regarding that in the cheats page...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

IsToR wrote:The dinos cheat is lame anyway... ;)
Well, in theory it would allow you to walk through the level sightseeing without worrying about the dinos suddenly attacking you.
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

machf wrote:
IsToR wrote:The dinos cheat is lame anyway... ;)
Well, in theory it would allow you to walk through the level sightseeing without worrying about the dinos suddenly attacking you.
Just use the woo cheat and kill them instead ;)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

OK, I examined the .exe files with a hex editor and found out a few interesting things.

First, the cheats apparently must be entered in CAPITALS, otherwise they don't work.

Second, there are othe cheats which aren't mentioned in TresCom's cheats page (but they are in *some* other sites):
SORT
IMOUSE ("invert mouse")
BONES (how come this one isn't listed?)
FTB
BTF

Third, looks like some of the cheats may require additional parameters (as in GORE and TELE). I believe these include DINOS, INVUL and maybe SORT, probably BONES and TNEXT too.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

IMOUSE requires a parameter, IMOUSE 1 inverts the mouse, IMOUSE 0 leaves it "normal".

I'm guessing FTB and BTF have a meaning such as "FrontToBack" and "BackToFront", in any case they both seem to complement each other.

And still trying to figure out what SORT does... maybe it works in combination with FTB and BTF?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Again, on a kind, of sort of related note: I used to use default mouse and keyboard settings until I played Half-Life so much. When I went back to Trespasser, I kept clicking mouse 1 to shoot, and quickly had my right arm torn off! Because I've been so HL programed, I decided to try SPACE to extend and move arm, right click to grab, so now I can shoot with a left click. This has increased my accuracy greatly! :)
Last edited by Dapper Dan on Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Hey WOW!! I'm finally a raptor!! :D
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yes, since yesterday... I guess 250 is the landmark. I've been trying to figure the system out. Apparently, you start as "Dino Egg" (with at least 1 post, of course), next comes Parasurus at 25, Stegosaurus at 50, Triceratops at ~80, Brachiosaurus at ~120, Velociraptor at 250... I suppose the next one comes at 500, since there are a few ones with 350+ posts and still raptors.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Dapper Dan wrote:Again, on a kind, of sort of related note: I used to use default mouse and keyboard settings until I played Half-Life so much. When I went back to Trespasser, I kept clicking mouse 1 to shoot, and quickly had my right arm torn off! Because I've been so HL programed, I decided to try SPACE to extend and move arm, right click to grab, so now I can shoot with a left click. This has increased my accuracy greatly! :)
Well, I use space to store/draw weapons (since I couldn't map it to the center button of the mouse, which I'd prefer). For arm/wrist/hand control, I use `, TAB and Q.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I also found another easter egg: at the beginning, if you manage to climb the highest wall of all those structures (the one which has some wooden planks in the back) and look at the ocean from there, you'll hear Hammond's voice saying "The southern beach looked out over trackless ocean, down past Peru, all the way to Antarctica" (text taken from the subtitles; the voice over sounds more like "tractless"). And this is *before* Anne realizes where she is.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

machf wrote:IMOUSE requires a parameter, IMOUSE 1 inverts the mouse, IMOUSE 0 leaves it "normal".

I'm guessing FTB and BTF have a meaning such as "FrontToBack" and "BackToFront", in any case they both seem to complement each other.

And still trying to figure out what SORT does... maybe it works in combination with FTB and BTF?
TSOrd had a nice page up with info on that:

http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~trescom/re ... Cheats.htm
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, thanks for that info. I see that my guess was in the right direction...