EastDock ~ Released, pg. 3

The first completed Nublar mod, by Draco and hppav!

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

Well I believe I'm playing the level in the regular engine...I just start up the Tres exe and do the level select cheat. Other levels seem to play sound just fine. I don't think I have the VERY latest ATX, but I'm sure I have a pretty close one.

Most of the extra stuff works for me...the only things I think I don't have are the sounds (music, voice overs) and the particle rain.

Also unless I'm on the lowest rendering possible, I get a crash about halfway through the tunnel.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm... We'll see about that crash later... but SI, you said you're using the Tres exe. You should only use the ATX exe, as it is seperate and different from the original exe! Sounds to me like you're not getting any ATX settings at all within ED. But that might not be it. I've got to go now but later we'll discuss this later...
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

For some reason, ever since I've installed this level, every other level with fog has blue fog unless I do an [Alt] + [Tab] and return to the game. Anyway to fix this?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, that's surely because the .ini file sets the ATX fog parameters to that color... I just installed this level in a separate folder.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

Nope I'm using the atx2.exe. I probably should have made that more clear
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nick3069 wrote:For some reason, ever since I've installed this level, every other level with fog has blue fog unless I do an [Alt] + [Tab] and return to the game. Anyway to fix this?
Heh, please everyone, read the readme, it's very important. That is all discussed within it.
Second Illiteration wrote:Nope I'm using the atx2.exe. I probably should have made that more clear
Heh alright. Well then I'm going to take some screenshots; compare them with your ATX directories and see if anything's amiss (mine have many other levels installed that you might not have so don't worry about those, also the folders in the JPDS engine have custom icons):

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Lemme know if you have any questions! Hopefully this helps.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I made a few modifications to the level, if anybody wants to try them it's only 3.5MB...

http://rapidshare.com/files/75749409/EDmod.zip

I won't describe them, try to find out what they are...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Haha, alright I'll try this sometime soon.. tomorrow hopefully...
salvosuper
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by salvosuper »

:o
great job! :yes:
Mankind is overrated.
Myg
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Myg »

The lack of intuitive nature to the install is worrying, cheats your work infact. In future, I would recommend not bothering releasing a level unless it will work without having to move files/etc.

Currently it is:
- Download huge file
- Extract file contents
- Read the readme and hope that its usage is explained properly covering all possible circomstances
- Do as you had thought the instructions said
- Hope and pray that it works

How it should be:
- Download huge file
- Extract contents
- Run exe

It can even be done like this if you have the know how:
- Download huge file
- Run exe

See the difference?

This community is never going to have anything but "trescom hardcore" only users if this continues.
TheGuy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Re: ...

Post by TheGuy »

Myg wrote:The lack of intuitive nature to the install is worrying, cheats your work infact. In future, I would recommend not bothering releasing a level unless it will work without having to move files/etc.

Currently it is:
- Download huge file
- Extract file contents
- Read the readme and hope that its usage is explained properly covering all possible circomstances

How it should be:
- Download huge file
- Extract contents
- Run exe

- Download huge file
- Run exe

See the difference?

This community is never going to have anything but "trescom hardcore" only users if this continues.

That is true, and I think that having easier installers would be a good thing to have. However, I don’t really see what's to hard about installing ED as I'm sure even non-trespassers know how to put a particular file inside a particular folder.
ImageImage
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Yeah it's not that difficult.. but anyway, I don't know how to make an installer, nor does Sam (I think). If someone else wants to make an ED installer for us, that would be great (be sure to contact us while doing it), but the only installer to put a level into retail files that's ever been made was TC Ops Final (others, such as The Lagoon, were stand-alones), plus this one would also need to work on a demo engine install and there are MANY files in different folders to handle.. I guess it's possible. Anyway I don't agree that only hardcore members are capable of installing ED without headaches - the readme does NOT list any complex system for placing the files.

Code: Select all

1. Installation

i. Installation of ED has been made rather easy for you,
necessitated by the sheer number of files required to make
all the ATX2-voodoo happen correctly. There are even 3
different files named "ED.ini". Simply drag the contents of
the "Main" folder (either after extracting or while in the
archive window) into the chosen engine directory, and
allow the existing file paths to be followed, overwriting
existing files.
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
Location: living underground in the middle of freaking nowhere

Post by Shadow Wolf »

Myg wrote:The lack of intuitive nature to the install is worrying, cheats your work infact. In future, I would recommend not bothering releasing a level unless it will work without having to move files/etc.

Currently it is:
- Download huge file
- Extract file contents

How it should be:
- Download huge file
- Extract contents
- Run exe

- Download huge file
- Run exe

See the difference?

y'know it doesn't take rocket science to run a program MYG, and I'd hardly describe myself as "TresCom hardcore"
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Compared to modding other games out there, Trespasser is one of the easiest around (and this has been discussed on other forums besides TresCom).
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

ALL levels pretty much are that way EXCEPT ones that come prepackaged with the exe (very few of those have been released). The exe and all of it's files are several hundred more megabytes than just the level files themselves thus it's very unwise to package the whole exe (.exe files, menu files, stock tpas) along with the level.
Myg wrote:Currently it is:
- Download huge file
- Extract file contents

How it should be:
- Download huge file
- Extract contents
- Run exe

- Download huge file
- Run exe

See the difference?

Thus is the difference between a LEVEL and a MOD. Level's require you to actually install it into the game itself. Mods have their own exe file packaged in with the level(s). Then there's Total Conversions which are Mods with very little if any original game assets (but that has nothing to do with what I'm saying as there haven't been that many Total Conversions in the past few years).

Total Conversions: Easy to install, yet none have been made thusfar (You don't see TresHalo out there do you? Counter-Tres? CSI: Isla Sorna?)

Mods: Easy to install ala the TC Ops levels, The Lagoon, etc. ED was never to be one of these thus is why it's just a level.

Levels: Require you to actually read the readme. Whether or not you can understand the readme depends on how well it is written and your mental state at the time of reading. No reason to be mad about that as it IS a README as in "read me" get it? ;)

That's my POV, btw.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos