Trespasser: Legacy (Part I RELEASED! pg 8)

Nem's mega-level trilogy.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Remdul wrote: You could even attempt to make it steerable by putting two triggers on each side of the steering wheel, and when Anne's hand passes through a trigger carefully placed in the path of the hand, you can trigger one of two new paths (left or right).
I've already been thinking of that, hence my question: can a (location) trigger be attached to a moving object? (remember, I asked that in the past)
Shape the terrain. Set up the static scene (trees, bridges, guardrails etc). Place car at top. Export terrain and car to 3dsmax. Animate the car 'driving' downhill. Add some trigger objects along the path or prop objects which the truck may hit. Export animation. Export instances/triggers. Write scripts.
Hmmm. Is that going to work with Anne inside the car? I mean, once the animation starts, won't she be left behind?
Essentially it is no different than the balloon in the 1st Ops level, except that it uses keyframe animations.
Well, the balloon is simpler - it just moves at constant velocity, without any objects in its path, and without being able to steer it.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
makairu
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Antispam: No

Post by makairu »

Looks good!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

*wonders if Remdul has forgotten that he worked on TC_Isle :P or maybe he just wasn't involved too much after the models were done* Weelll in TC_Isle, the physics of the crater door are quite real all the time it's moving slowly into the wall. What it is is that it will go to its directed location by the ASA file, regardless of what's in its path. It will still push things out of the way, and will not give way itself, as if it has near infinite mass/density and doesn't suck you in like a black hole. :P
Also the player is animated through the water by an ASA animation at the very end of TC_Isle, which is rather fun to see. I'm pretty sure the camera even rolls as a result (not something that happens often in games).

The thing you have to be careful with when you stick Anne/whoever in a truck is that the physics will have to keep her blocked up; Trespasser interprits no "gripping" friction, or attached masses (except by the class of trigger of course), so if the object under Anne moves in a direction, she will remain still and it will move out from under her. The baloon seems to have been designed with this in mind, the walls of the um.. hanging thing are all that keep you moving with the baloon.

It could work for a car, you would need very dependable terrain and a way to very accurately export it, which is not really possible with JPDS for example (large, non-retail terrain). That doesn't matter cause I don't plan to do it in JPDS. :P

About firing from the car as it rides along... well... stay tuned ;) for a while... LOL
salvosuper
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by salvosuper »

chronzerg wrote:when an animation is run for an object, all physics are done away with. So won't anne not be able to touch the Truck once the animation begins. She would just kind of fall right through it as soon as it starts moving.
you're right, it happens in almost all game engines.
Mankind is overrated.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

salvosuper wrote:
chronzerg wrote:when an animation is run for an object, all physics are done away with. So won't anne not be able to touch the Truck once the animation begins. She would just kind of fall right through it as soon as it starts moving.
you're right, it happens in almost all game engines.
Um, no? I just got done saying how it works... I can't speak for other game engines.
salvosuper
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by salvosuper »

sorry I didn't even read what you wrote, i realized later there was another page :D

anyway usually unwanted polygon interpenetration (hope this is the right way to call it) in games is caused by animated models; how could they collide with the environment that bad if they had physical bounds?
Mankind is overrated.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I'm not sure what you're saying exactly... "collide with the environment that bad if they had physical bounds"? As I said with Tres, if an object is animated to go somewhere, it can't hardly go anywhere else, can it? That doesn't mean it won't affect non-animated objects.
salvosuper
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by salvosuper »

i think i lack in technical vocabulary... what i was talking about happens SURELY in animations in which the vertex positions are modified (the ones in normal games, not the thingy kinematics of our dinosaurs here in tres); then of course a translating? (or rotating) object as an elevator can affect other objects as the player.
Mankind is overrated.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

salvosuper wrote:what i was talking about happens SURELY in animations in which the vertex positions are modified [...]; then of course a translating? (or rotating) object as an elevator can affect other objects as the player.
Hmmm? I sort of catch what you're saying but I don't see your point anymore, lol. BTW, I don't think we are currently capable of animating vertex positions.. some ppl seem to think we can animate bones but I distinctly remember Rebel tried and failed at this. In Tres, no objects' physics are based on it's actual shape.
salvosuper
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by salvosuper »

Draconisaurus wrote:In Tres, no objects' physics are based on it's actual shape.
yeah, thats what i wanted to say. in every game, humans do run, crouch, jump, but actually there's just a physic box that moves around > that's why sometimes their arms and feet get into walls and floors polygons, because they're animated independently from the above mentioned box. >>> SO i wouldnt be surprised if an animated truck didnt work properly
THO I would really like it to work! :yes:
Mankind is overrated.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oh I get it. Lol well the thing is, the animations in other games you're refering to are not like ASA animations, they're like, things that a character can do anywhere.. something like an ASA animation has a very specific location where it can happen, that path and only that path, so you can easily adjust for the car moving through anything.. hell you could even edit the terrain to better fit the animation, lol.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

I don't know shit about editing and maybe this is the dumbest idea
ever. But can't you attach Anne to a moving vehicle the same way
as it's done with the fly cheat, where Anne sort of goes out of her
body and where the real Anne stays behind?

And then have her teleport inside the car once you pulled over and
want to get out?
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

One of the biggest hurdles we face when dealing with vehicles is creating some type of control system. We can get the vehicle moving, but without input from the user, it will simply travel straight. Or follow a preordained path, using ASA animations, like Hilwo suggested.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
chronzerg
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by chronzerg »

Hilwo wrote:I don't know shit about editing and maybe this is the dumbest idea
ever. But can't you attach Anne to a moving vehicle the same way
as it's done with the fly cheat, where Anne sort of goes out of her
body and where the real Anne stays behind?

And then have her teleport inside the car once you pulled over and
want to get out?
It would work, but you would be able to drive through objects (physics are done away with in fly mode as you probably figured out).

@Draco
So, what happens if an animated object (the tc isle gate) runs into a static tangible object (like a tree)?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

chronzerg wrote:@Draco
So, what happens if an animated object (the tc isle gate) runs into a static tangible object (like a tree)?
Well, logically, the tree won't move (since it has Moveable = false) and the gate will keep going since it's on a pre-animated path. If it's not unmoveabe/frozen after the animation is done, then it may be catapulted away by the physics of the tree... (in your hypothetical scenario)