Tres + TresCom Isle on Linux

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Tres + TresCom Isle on Linux

Post by Remdul »

Has anyone played the level under Linux (with Wine or something) yet?

Also, does the included password application run on Linux?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Haven't checked out TresLinux lately? :wink:

http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~trescom/bo ... php?t=2519
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Re: Tres + TresCom Isle on Linux

Post by Dapper Dan »

Remdul wrote:Also, does the included password application run on Linux?
Actually that was the most troublesome issue. Although I could easily answer with the correct password to untar the level in Linux, I couldn't get the program that detects tres and gives the password to open.

I can run Win4Lin, (that is a program that allows you to run Windows 98 on top of Linux), so I installed Mandrake 9.1 and then Win4Lin. I then installed Trespasser onto this Windows 98 which your program then detected and gave me the password.

Win4Lin does not support directX, otherwise I could just play Trespasser directly from Win4Lin.

Any way to create a special password program just for Linux users? All two of us? :lol:
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

Dapper Dan wrote:Any way to create a special password program just for Linux users? All two of us? :lol:
Occassionally a third. :mrgreen:
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

So you play Tres under Linux? Have you tried TC-ISLE?
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

I haven't used Linux in a while though Dan. :oops:

My last computer with it crashed (driver error I think), and I've just been beating around the bush to reinstalling it.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

Slugger wrote:
Dapper Dan wrote:Any way to create a special password program just for Linux users? All two of us? :lol:
Occassionally a third. :mrgreen:
Please don't forget me. :yes:
...though I did actually install Trespasser/TC-Isle in Win98, then play it in Linux.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Nifty: 8)

No, I didn't check recently, but I got a bit worried that people might not be able to run the level on Linux because of the password app.
Any way to create a special password program just for Linux users? All two of us?
Well, maybe I should actually, simple commandline prog perhaps. I think supporting free software such as Linux is good thing in general.
madppiper
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by madppiper »

Linux is awesome. If it wasn't for DX and game-support in general, I'd switch entirely...
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Slugger wrote:...and I've just been beating around the bush to reinstalling it.
Let me know when you get ready to give it a go. I can help you and would be glad to. :)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

yochenhsieh wrote::yes:
Hi yochenhsieh! Nice screens! You were the second person I was referring to... I think IsToR also plays under Linux so that makes four of us! Have you tried Cedega 4.2 in hardware mode yet! Although it still has problems, much of the screen trash has gone away, and you can see objects much better. In software, it plays 100% as under Windows. I'll post some screens with it later. Were you able to open the password program under Linux in order to open the TC-Isle or did you have to have Windows assistance like me? That's the only part of TC-Isle level I couldn't get to open with Cedega/Winex.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

madppiper wrote:Linux is awesome. If it wasn't for DX and game-support in general, I'd switch entirely...
The boys over at Transgaming.com are trying to make a 9x emulator as we speak. If they are sucessful, that's gonna make running Windows games under Linux much easier!

If you just don't tell them you use Linux, they'll still give game support. Most of the fixes to make games run are on the Windows side of the emulator any way.
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

true but transgaming costs money ... not willing to pay a windows-lookalike... hack if I wouldn't have to I probably wouldn't pay for Windows either!
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

madppiper wrote:true but transgaming costs money ... not willing to pay a windows-lookalike... hack if I wouldn't have to I probably wouldn't pay for Windows either!
There're free winex/cedega rpms here: http://ivanleo.spedia.net/
However, these rpms were built from transgaming cvs source, and does not contain Point2Play, copy protection code, Installshield, Microsoft® msvcrt.dll, Microsoft® MFC components, texture compression code and full screen support. According to http://www.transgaming.com/sources.php , the source and the rpms built from it can be distributed for non-comercial use.