Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Knoppix or Slackware?

Post by Lou-saydus »

Witch should i go for next.

I was just wondering what other types of linux are like.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Slack is not for newbs and requires a great deal more time energy and effort. The trade off though is that you'll learn a lot about Linux in the process. Knoppix is a way to get Debian which you already have with Morphix. Morphix is based on Knoppix which is based on Debian.
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

hmm so there wouldnt be much change if i switch to Knoppix?

and slackware is too hard... guess ill just stay with morphix.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

If you're just wanting to make a change to check out a different distro, I would recommend going with Mandrake 10. I've been running it on my experimental box for a few weeks now, and it's way better than Mdk. 9.1 or 9.2. It's just out of beta though, so know there may be issues here and there. On the upside, Mandrake is the most user friendly distro out there, giving you an incredibly easy install complete with a very nice disk partitioner. Also, Mdk has more user friendly configuration tools and the interface is very easy on newbs. I also like Mandrake because it comes standard with IceWM and uses the new 2.6 kernel which is much faster than the 2.4 kernel. Fedora Core 1 is a nice distro to check out too, and is what I use on my regular machine.
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

ok ill check out mdk 10 {i always did love betas}

i'l probebly get it monday. {long dl time.}