Modding Helicopter with Rebel's Airboat Triggers

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Modding Helicopter with Rebel's Airboat Triggers

Post by morningstarring »

I took a look at Rebel's triggers for the airboat. I don't completely understand them all yet. However I was able to get a Helicopter to move up, forward, and down. left and right are possible as well. If a new model was made that had the lever system like on the airboat the controls could be simplified... maybe. A lever for up and down, another for forward and back, and another for left and right. or maybe just two if the X,Y motions can have a lever with 4 positions. a control system with a lever for up and down and another for X,Y motion seems realistic enough and intuitive.

I'm still working on the triggers and figuring out what each action does. I have to activate the left lever before the others in order to make the other ones perform their actions after it lifts off.
heres a clip of it in action https://streamable.com/3wgk1b
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Modding Helicopter with Rebel's Airboat Triggers

Post by tatu »

Woah, this is really amazing. I think this is the first time anyone has even made a somewhat functioning helicopter?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Looking great. I wonder what it would be like, to navigate an obstacle course of tall trees in the helicopter. Maybe a scripted maximum height to force the player to maneuver.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

tatu wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:38 pm Woah, this is really amazing. I think this is the first time anyone has even made a somewhat functioning helicopter?
Rebel provided some really interesting trigger setups with the airboat. I think I will try removing some of the safety checks for if anne falls off and such. I'm not really using anims with the heli so I could drop those actions as well. I just need to figure out what from his setup I can remove/what it relates to etc. it's a lot of unfamiliar stuff to me but i'm starting to understand whats going on as I change stuff. Sometimes bad script crashes trespasser and my entire laptop so I have to physically turn it of and back on. kind of annoying. anyway I'll work on this for a bit and see what I can do.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

morningstarring wrote: Rebel provided some really interesting trigger setups with the airboat. I think I will try removing some of the safety checks for if anne falls off and such. I'm not really using anims with the heli so I could drop those actions as well. I just need to figure out what from his setup I can remove/what it relates to etc. it's a lot of unfamiliar stuff to me but i'm starting to understand whats going on as I change stuff. Sometimes bad script crashes trespasser and my entire laptop so I have to physically turn it of and back on. kind of annoying. anyway I'll work on this for a bit and see what I can do.
Glad to see you're finding a use for it. ;) It's definitely a bit of a task to dismantle triggers since they're generally scripted a little at a time and added in steps. You obviously wouldn't need the
collision trigger in case Anne steps onto the terrain (seeing that if you actually fall out the helicopter you're going to die anyways). The only thing I noticed is that you're not using the one trigger
I used to give Anne movement (which is why you can walk around on the airboat). Using that trigger would stop Anne from being pushed back into the seat so strongly. You have to fiddle with
the settings to get the desired effect, but what you're looking for is the trigger that has; string Target "$AnneBody+Anne". Somewhere T.I. mentioned you can't have the speed or the force set to
high, otherwise like T.I. said, Anne's arm will start going whacky after a while. Anyways, have fun. :)
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Rebel wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:15 am
morningstarring wrote: Rebel provided some really interesting trigger setups with the airboat. I think I will try removing some of the safety checks for if anne falls off and such. I'm not really using anims with the heli so I could drop those actions as well. I just need to figure out what from his setup I can remove/what it relates to etc. it's a lot of unfamiliar stuff to me but i'm starting to understand whats going on as I change stuff. Sometimes bad script crashes trespasser and my entire laptop so I have to physically turn it of and back on. kind of annoying. anyway I'll work on this for a bit and see what I can do.
Glad to see you're finding a use for it. ;) It's definitely a bit of a task to dismantle triggers since they're generally scripted a little at a time and added in steps. You obviously wouldn't need the
collision trigger in case Anne steps onto the terrain (seeing that if you actually fall out the helicopter you're going to die anyways). The only thing I noticed is that you're not using the one trigger
I used to give Anne movement (which is why you can walk around on the airboat). Using that trigger would stop Anne from being pushed back into the seat so strongly. You have to fiddle with
the settings to get the desired effect, but what you're looking for is the trigger that has; string Target "$AnneBody+Anne". Somewhere T.I. mentioned you can't have the speed or the force set to
high, otherwise like T.I. said, Anne's arm will start going whacky after a while. Anyways, have fun. :)
ive been messing around a bit more. I do have the force applied to anne, however, sometimes anne keeps up with the heli's movement really well, other times it seems less effective for reasons I can only guess at. sometimes after pulling a few levers anne will ride higher in the cockpit and she wont settle back to her initial position, which makes the force applied to her less effective maybe? the jerky movements after touching a lever can accidently set of a different one nearby. so maybe her physics box it intersecting those of the heli missing things up. I dunno. I set the speed to the airboat's values but I did try a fast version and realized her arm flaps behind her like T.I said.

I figured out how to remove the safety checks for the most part and added one that freezes the heli once it touches the ground. it can fly again after pulling a few levers which makes it stop touching the ground just enough to unfreeze and liftoff again im guessing.
Rebel wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:15 am Glad to see you're finding a use for it. ;) It's definitely a bit of a task to dismantle triggers since they're generally scripted a little at a time and added in steps. You obviously wouldn't need the
I thought id add that I'm not using a magnet to like in other moveable object setups. I just forgot to add one. however, I haven't had any issues with it becoming uncontrollable either.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Just a friendly reminder to edit your last message instead of double-posting if nobody else posts before you have something to add, morningstarring! I combined your posts for you. :)

This sounds kind of ridiculous that it even works at all. I'm eager to try this out. I don't think going especially quickly matters much as the fact that this is possible is impressive enough. Does the helicopter move forward at the same time as well?
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

TheIdiot wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:08 pm Just a friendly reminder to edit your last message instead of double-posting if nobody else posts before you have something to add, morningstarring! I combined your posts for you. :)

This sounds kind of ridiculous that it even works at all. I'm eager to try this out. I don't think going especially quickly matters much as the fact that this is possible is impressive enough. Does the helicopter move forward at the same time as well?

Here's a link to what I have so far. https://www.mediafire.com/file/bxe0ynr7 ... 1.zip/file still experimenting with the triggers. working on rotation ATM. Cant seem to get it to work properly. first time experimenting with action 20 (CMagnetAction) However, since the motions are based on the initial orientation it doesnt move in the direction the front is pointing after rotation. so I think its a dead end because I have no clue how to script for movement based on the Heli's changing orientation in game, or if its possible. Apologies for double posting too.

Heres a pic of the current control setup. the rotation can be changed to RIGHT movement by changing the sound material value to "RIGHT" in TressEd. the object is a $Physics object. the Triggers are still there for right movement. As well as some triggers that aren't actually being used, experimental, or are potentially redundant. the Hover lever is up top because I was playing around with fast forward motion and i could get Anne's noodle arm to stop the heli by turning around and then using her flailing arm to activate the trigger.

EDIT: once it touches the ground it auto stops. you can take off again if you hit the up and hover levers a few times back and forth which makes it hop back up of the ground. Also I placed it in an older level I made and realized its motion gets jerky around dinosaurs. not sure if every Dino has the same effect. there was a parasuar and two rexes stomping below. It caused Anne to clip through the bottom of the heli and fall to the ground. i noticed the same jerky physics in my latest level's elevator too.

helictrls.jpg
helictrls.jpg (438.3 KiB) Viewed 849 times

EDIT2: I was able to increase the forward and reverse speed of anne and the heli so that her arm is still functional. I changed the string target for her movement from "$AnneBody+Anne" to "$AnneFoot+Anne" her movement is limited inside the cockpit when those triggers are active but it works well enough for now.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:Just a friendly reminder to edit your last message instead of double-posting if nobody else posts before you have something to add, morningstarring! I combined your posts for you. :)
TI, I humbly ask that you not do this. It does not seem reasonable that we risk forum readers not missing entire post content, as edited posts do not make a "new post" indicator.
morningstarring wrote:EDIT: once it touches the ground it auto stops. you can take off again if you hit the up and hover levers a few times back and forth which makes it hop back up of the ground. Also I placed it in an older level I made and realized its motion gets jerky around dinosaurs. not sure if every Dino has the same effect. there was a parasuar and two rexes stomping below. It caused Anne to clip through the bottom of the heli and fall to the ground. i noticed the same jerky physics in my latest level's elevator too.
Huh. I wouldn't have predicted this one, but it makes sense, and gives a picture that Tres has various issues from too many physics things going on. I'm going to note this one in the Tres-bug thread.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Draconisaurus wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:18 pm
morningstarring wrote:EDIT: once it touches the ground it auto stops. you can take off again if you hit the up and hover levers a few times back and forth which makes it hop back up of the ground. Also I placed it in an older level I made and realized its motion gets jerky around dinosaurs. not sure if every Dino has the same effect. there was a parasuar and two rexes stomping below. It caused Anne to clip through the bottom of the heli and fall to the ground. i noticed the same jerky physics in my latest level's elevator too.
Huh. I wouldn't have predicted this one, but it makes sense, and gives a picture that Tres has various issues from too many physics things going on. I'm going to note this one in the Tres-bug thread.
I'm not sure if its the footfall of large dinos that makes things weird. I don't know how the game processes that. I wonder if the wonky physics would be worse if a brachy was nearby. As far as I understand the triggers are moving objects based on coordinates of the "world" or some relationship between object and world. I dunno if I'm explaining or understanding that properly. maybe large dinos create impulses that push up on certain objects, or objects in certain states when they walk. I always assumed the mechanics that make brachys and such bounce anne around was hard coded into the game or something. I haven't seen a reference to the action it could be obvious somewhere in the Tscript I just don't see a connection with my understanding.
Last edited by morningstarring on Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh. I had forgotten, I guess... I guess Anne bounces around with those footsteps. I haven't seen any other things bounce around as a result, tho. Would be neat if it did that, but I'm kinda not surprised they didn't do that, would possibly mess up puzzles and such...
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Draconisaurus wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:07 pm Huh. I had forgotten, I guess... I guess Anne bounces around with those footsteps. I haven't seen any other things bounce around as a result, tho. Would be neat if it did that, but I'm kinda not surprised they didn't do that, would possibly mess up puzzles and such...
like you already said it could be a bug. the game's code acting on stuff meant to affect Anne but creating crosstalk with other object under some conditions. Beats me :?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

What that helicopter really needs is a Mingun at the front... ;)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

machf wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:53 am What that helicopter really needs is a Mingun at the front... ;)
Probably doable. I already have a functioning drone gunship which fires while airborne (which is controlled by a ground joystick control).
Attachments
Drone_GunShip.png
Drone_GunShip.png (19.91 KiB) Viewed 552 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Nice!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files