New Level Caldera Finished

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

New Level Caldera Finished

Post by morningstarring »

Final version of my latest level "Caldera" fixed a few bugs, platforming difficulties, tried my best to optimize dino behavior(it seems slightly different every playthrough) and closed some gap areas where you could bypass parts of the level. Now it should be completely polished up and good to go. sorry for the issues I appreciate everyone's feedback. :) Backup your stream.tpa file so yours doesn't get overwritten ;)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/06qw9t8t ... l.zip/file
caldera.jpg
caldera.jpg (175.24 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: New Level Caldera Finished

Post by tatu »

Nice! I will get this on TresCom during the weekend.

Don't worry about issues. It is easy enough to just release something and ignore issues, and it is always great when people have the mood to fix them :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Just finished this level. Really nice areas, love to see building blocks making new things. I think TptDac would be proud.
Finding keycards did not get old. I enjoyed having to hunt the battery down, and that it was a new model compared to where that generator is from. It was nice to see the buildings filled with foliage, for some reason that hasn't really been done before.
I liked the way the utility shed sewer entrance led to stairs. Nice area around there. I am a melee guy... the raptors for some reason wouldn't take any melee damage (maybe DeadEyeGuy would know how). The dilos up on the ridge, I managed some damage. But a lot was outmaneuvering them. Was quite difficult. Like TI I enjoyed the high views in the level.
I liked the swamp area. There hasn't been one quite like that made before, and in general that sort of thing is rare. I think the texture for the surface is from TC, it looked good. The airboat worked well.
The last stretch of the level was nice. I enjoyed climbing up those rocks, offering some protection... For myself also it was an alberto who opened the gate. Then I made it to the end.

Great job!!
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I was just playing this for a bit. Unlike T.I I got killed! I do like what I've seen so far, will play it again tomorrow to see how much further I can get without being eaten.
It's been a long day for me, so I don't have the energy to give a detailed opinion of my gameplay, but from what I did see in the level you did a damn good job, M.S. The
combat was definitely something I didn't expect (and i'm sorely out of practice for it).
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Rebel wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:08 am I was just playing this for a bit. Unlike T.I I got killed! I do like what I've seen so far, will play it again tomorrow to see how much further I can get without being eaten.
It's been a long day for me, so I don't have the energy to give a detailed opinion of my gameplay, but from what I did see in the level you did a damn good job, M.S. The
combat was definitely something I didn't expect (and i'm sorely out of practice for it).
sometimes you get a lucky break where one of the rexes decides to go climb the mountains instead. I think I made them stop by elevating the terrain they're waiting on slightly. I dont know if they could see you coming before and would sometimes wander away. it still created a little tension not knowing where it went...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh, I forgot, when you showed us the Brachios walking off into the sunset. You can grab AI boxes from the retail game and place them in places you don't want the dinos to go.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Draconisaurus wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:21 pm Huh, I forgot, when you showed us the Brachios walking off into the sunset. You can grab AI boxes from the retail game and place them in places you don't want the dinos to go.
I had some placed. they just kinda ignored them that time. I think it was a combination of things. The parasaurs had small damage values(1.000 i think) assigned to their head body and tail. they couldn't really hurt you or other dinos. but i did see blood squirt from a brachy after a para ran into it, which maybe triggered a fear response to head for the hills. I also had the experimental behaviors on that time too. I dunno what the deal was. one of the rexes tended to turn around and start climbing mountains during part of the level development. it made it all the way to the dilo area once lol!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:21 pm You can grab AI boxes from the retail game and place them in places you don't want the dinos to go.
The CAnimal values "float UpAngle" and "float DownAngle" specify the maximum and minimum slope an AI can climb or descend. I usually have them set to:

Code: Select all

float UpAngle = 45.000000
    float DownAngle = 50.000000
This seems to make them follow the same limitations as Anne when it comes to slopes, though they still drop off cliffs sometimes without AI boxes. Draco is right, though - use AI boxes to stop them from escaping the play area. I usually surround the areas where dinosaurs are supposed to be limited to with them so they don't stray too far off. The dinosuars need to have "Act GetOut = true" for this to work.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

morningstarring wrote:one of the rexes tended to turn around and start climbing mountains during part of the level development. it made it all the way to the dilo area once lol!
Lol hmm.

TheIdiot wrote:The CAnimal values "float UpAngle" and "float DownAngle" specify the maximum and minimum slope an AI can climb or descend. I usually have them set to:

Huh I never thought to get into this. Neat idea.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

TheIdiot wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:38 pm The CAnimal values "float UpAngle" and "float DownAngle" specify the maximum and minimum slope an AI can climb or descend. I usually have them set to:

This seems to make them follow the same limitations as Anne when it comes to slopes, though they still drop off cliffs sometimes without AI boxes. Draco is right, though - use AI boxes to stop them from escaping the play area. I usually surround the areas where dinosaurs are supposed to be limited to with them so they don't stray too far off. The dinosuars need to have "Act GetOut = true" for this to work.
does this improve their AI/pathfinding ability? Like, if you had raptors on a road that went back and forth up a steep hill, and you were above them, would they follow a path where they can get you or just run at the cliff like usual?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

morningstarring wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:38 pm
TheIdiot wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:38 pm The CAnimal values "float UpAngle" and "float DownAngle" specify the maximum and minimum slope an AI can climb or descend. I usually have them set to:

does this improve their AI/pathfinding ability? Like, if you had raptors on a road that went back and forth up a steep hill, and you were above them, would they follow a path where they can get you or just run at the cliff like usual?
They'd run at the cliff. The AI isn't smart enough to think to pathfind their way up a road like that - they always take the most direct route to a target. You could make them follow a switchback road with triggers but it would have to be scripted heavily (add a bunch of invisible anchor objects, and have CCreatureTriggers near each that tell the CAnimal to StayNear the next one in sequence. Not that complicated but they'd probably ignore the player as they'd be focused on getting to the next anchor).
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

What if you used AI Type 6, node hint? Would they be able to follow those around a switchback path without StayNear anchors?

https://www.trescom.org/files/docs/tscr ... #CInstance
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Draconisaurus wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:05 pm What if you used AI Type 6, node hint? Would they be able to follow those around a switchback path without StayNear anchors?

I kind of want to test this. make a short winding path with AI boxes set to AI type 6. Maybe set climb to false as well? I still think pathfinding in tres is pretty limited. unless someone has explored the various pathfinding variables. MaxNodes, NodesPerSecond, MaxAStarSteps, etc.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Keep in mind the obj that is AIType 6 has to be tangible. Can just be made very small.

TI has experimented a lot with AI scripting...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:05 pm What if you used AI Type 6, node hint? Would they be able to follow those around a switchback path without StayNear anchors?

I've tried those with both Bool Pathfinding = true and = false. I honestly have no idea if it makes a difference because the Tres AI can be so unpredictable. It *seems* to help a bit when they have Pathfinding = true. I also found that Pathfinding = true causes them to be a bit more "aggressive" movement-wise, but it's hard to describe without testing it yourself. Setting the Pathfinding values too high for some values can crash the game, so it definitely seems that the game uses them to some degree. In my testing, they definitely don't navigate directly from one node to another like many other games' AI tend to do, but it would be exceptionally useful if they did.
AI boxes can definitely help keep them away from troublesome areas, though. I like to use them to define exactly where an AI can go, blocking off anything I think they might get stuck on (and using scripting to get them past things they might get stuck on but need to be able to navigate past).
Draconisaurus wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:05 pm Keep in mind the obj that is AIType 6 has to be tangible. Can just be made very small.
This I did not know, are you sure? I've got a bunch of them in my level and they're both invisible and untangible. Now I'll have to test to see if it makes any difference. Problem is the AI or player might get stuck on them unless they're underground.