Boobs were meant to hide the lack of legs?

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

HackFraud
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg
Antispam: No

Boobs were meant to hide the lack of legs?

Post by HackFraud »

I came across a youtube comment saying that the developers made the breasts as large as they are as a means of hiding the facts that player didn't have a lower half. Is this true? I mean it is a logical explanation but I haven't been able to find anything substantiating it.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: Boobs were meant to hide the lack of legs?

Post by tatu »

Welcome to TresCom!

I haven't heard that before. I would guess no, as it was rare for the time to make legs for a player character, not to mention having to make "animation" for the player model (which the game didn't even use for the AI).
Even for me as a male, with a small bigger stomage don't really see my legs or feet if I stand and just look down, so in a way I guess it make sense. However, the fact that the player has no shadow is because you don't have a lower half ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, I'm not sure there's an official document or interview to verify that, but it's the currently accepted hypothesis...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

HackFraud wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:53 pm I came across a youtube comment saying that the developers made the breasts as large as they are as a means of hiding the facts that player didn't have a lower half. Is this true? I mean it is a logical explanation but I haven't been able to find anything substantiating it.
Welcome :) I've read that several times, but can't remember if I've ever seen a developer comment and confirm.
HackFraud
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by HackFraud »

tatu wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:25 am Welcome to TresCom!

I haven't heard that before. I would guess no, as it was rare for the time to make legs for a player character, not to mention having to make "animation" for the player model (which the game didn't even use for the AI).
Even for me as a male, with a small bigger stomage don't really see my legs or feet if I stand and just look down, so in a way I guess it make sense. However, the fact that the player has no shadow is because you don't have a lower half ;)
I do understand its not very common in most games to show the players legs, but I do find it plausible that they would try and hide that fact for this game as a means of immersion.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I guess so then. :D And it does go well than just having a floating arm!
In a way it is funny when people get excited (at least in the past) when the player could actually look down and see their feet.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Speaking just for myself, I'd rather look at a pair of boobs (even if they are fake) that feet anyways!
tatu

Post by tatu »

Rebel wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:29 pm Speaking just for myself, I'd rather look at a pair of boobs (even if they are fake) that feet anyways!
Next up! A Trespasser character models where the health is on the toenails. The more damage you get, the more colours they get ;)

Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Rebel wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:29 pm Speaking just for myself, I'd rather look at a pair of boobs (even if they are fake) that feet anyways!
*Quentin Tarantino enters the chat*

Eh, I don't mind how it ended up, either. Wasn't her chest much more modest in the earliest builds, though? I seem to remember a model with the black shirt?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Hilwo wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:59 am
*Quentin Tarantino enters the chat*

Eh, I don't mind how it ended up, either. Wasn't her chest much more modest in the earliest builds, though? I seem to remember a model with the black shirt?
Link: https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic. ... ne#p118948

I rerigged all 3 Annes' a few years back. ;)
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Rebel wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:51 pm Link: https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic. ... ne#p118948

Cool :) Can those be easily implemented into retail, or would it have to be changed for each level?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Hilwo wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:14 pm
Rebel wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:51 pm Link: https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic. ... ne#p118948

Cool :) Can those be easily implemented into retail, or would it have to be changed for each level?
Hey Hilwo. The main issue with Anne's other models is that they don't have all necessary $models, so she can't hold
everything correctly. And yah, you would have to change each Anne model in every level if you were to use them in
the retail.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Rebel wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:33 pmHey Hilwo. The main issue with Anne's other models is that they don't have all necessary $models, so she can't hold
everything correctly. And yah, you would have to change each Anne model in every level if you were to use them in
the retail.
Thanks :) Knowing Trespasser, I didn't think it was going to be that easy :razz:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I'd say they might have thought of the breasts as hiding the feat, during some discussions. Also it's too bad they didn't implement a shadow model as with the Dinosaurs. I guess they might've if they had more time.