Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
Antispam: No

New Worker Village attempt

Post by hppav »

A lot of you probably remember my unfinished town level from back in the day. I know the first and smallest version of the gas station has been used in the new TresCom level, among other models I've done over the years :lol:

Anyway I've been hard at work on a new Worker Village level. At this point it's just focusing on what was built for the movie and not anything extra. That may change as time goes on.

First up here's my latest version of the Operations Building. It is not yet in game as I still have a bit to model. For my sanity's sake I will import it without physics save for the door meshes then export each part individually and make physics for that part. So many will be required and it's the worst part of 3D modeling, IMHO. It's like doing it all over again, which when this is the 3rd or 4th time you've modeled the same building already... Ugh lol. Also I still have saved all 4 image collages that show primarily the back of the set post JP3 so I was able to model the supports for the helipad and I've got to say, that was the biggest pain of this entire model. And the roof panel damage is based more on what it looked like post JP3 than what it looked like in the Lost World, mainly because this worker village level is still set after the events of The Lost World.

I've also modeled a few of the things that are inside the Operations Building. Still have quite a bit to do obviously. That table and vertical glass map was annoying. It has what looks like a topographic map of Mauna Loa with some strange icons over it. Hard to tell.

Here's the radio equipment. Keeping it simple since there'll be a lot of objects in the village and even though Trespasser CE can handle more polygons on the screen at once I don't want to go too crazy. Especially when you see what else I've done. And yes, that microphone is that clean in The Lost World, it's strange but I did find some pics on the Behind the Gates facebook page that showed Nick Van Owen at the radio. There's also a reel to reel audio machine, another monitor with an InGen Logo and some text on it, and a little bit more detail on what the two background monitors have on them. Still hard to make out what all is on that desk though.

And now on to the stuff I have in engine right now. NOTE: I do not have bumpmaps done for every texture, notably the base metal textures. It will make stuff look a bit flat for now.

First here's the new Worker Village gates, now with... ya know, GATES:

And here's a revamped Geothermal Plant area with an oddball collapsed structure, more detail, and so many more pipes. This about killed me, not going to lie. Those Sliders episodes came in really handy though:

Also new gas station with pumps and pressure tanks:

I've only done minimal tweaks to the "Kiln" tower from my previous version. Might make a few adjustments later but that model was one of the better ones in the previous version of the town. But yeah, as you can see I've been rather busy. The handful of you that have me on Facebook have already seen all these (and more) but I figured I've got enough started to make a post. Currently trying to wrap my head around that collapsed tower that's between the Gas Station and the Gate. I think the "fallen" part is a bit of a twisted mess, at least that's what the Kodak Lost Roll commercial seems to show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nig6nDCTOZw
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Re: New Worker Village attempt

Post by codemuk3y »

Very nice
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Well now this looks fantastic! The level of detail is on a whole new level compared to your old village. I hope to see some new electric fences and trucks (especially that little yellow one) this time around, too!
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Thanks! And yeah, that's the plan anyway, the Internet Movie Car Database has identified 3 of the 4 trucks. The white one Ian temporarily hides in is a 1976 International Harvester Scout Traveler, the one the raptor jumps on before it jumps on Sarah is a 1981 Chevy Suburban, and the one that Ian attempts to hide behind after Sarah and Kelly hide in the tower is a 1973 K-5 Chevy Blazer which was also reused in Sliders. There's another truck that looks like a utility truck with toolboxes that's between the Operations Building and the Boarding House with its front end sticking over the pond, that one I have not yet identified and isn't listed on IMCDb. See the attachment for the screenshot. The little trucks are definitely baggage tractors though but I'm not sure on which make or model yet. Odd that there's two of them in the Worker Village, not sure what use they would be. But yeah, I do plan on making new models for all the vehicles.

The fences are similar to the ones in Jurassic Park but are different. They have 10 wires, the T-Rex fence has 11. The lights are red on top and blue on bottom instead of orange on top, blue on bottom. The lights do not flash. The fence post design and the light on top are the same but there's no grounding wire off the back of the object on top that the lights are attached to. And the base of the fence is a completely different shape, slanting down in front (inside) of the fence while completely vertical behind (outside) the fence. There's no oil filter "alarm" housings. Also the wires go flat up the side of the posts to the lights instead of having the outward loop near the top. The objects the light attach to are completely brown and don't have a grey section in the middle. The "eye" at the back is noticeably smaller than the JP one, but the rest of it is the same basic size and shape.

Using videos from the tram tour I was able to map out the damaged wires so I can make the sections on the set match the movie pretty well. One thing to note is that I have only found evidence of ONE Danger 10,000 volts sign on the entire fence and that is on the section between the Geothermal Plant arches and the Gates. It was visible in the Kodak Lost Roll commercial when the woman climbs through the hole in the fence. It is missing at the time of Sliders so it's possible that when it was fully set up for The Lost World there was more than one. See attachment for the sign being present in the commercial but missing later. It's noteworthy that this part of the fence is hidden by foliage in the movie so you can't really see it.
Attachments
LostRollSlidersSign.png
LostRollSlidersSign.png (592.85 KiB) Viewed 43560 times
MysteryTruck.png
MysteryTruck.png (191.41 KiB) Viewed 43560 times
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

New Post because update.

If you look in the Research Thread you will have found my discovery of a couple of high definition photos of the front of the Operations Building in the daylight. One shot shows what appears to be some kind of cage built beside the base of the dome and also shows how the dome connects to the rest of the building better. The doorway that was there in JP3 appears to be the doorway that was on the opposite end of the rear hallway that was repurposed into the wall that was built to hide the base of the dome. There is no gap between the base of the dome and the rest of the building, they just built a wall that is a bit more forward than the original. Also the assumed symmetry of the room on the opposite side from the Communications Center was completely incorrect. Here's some screenshots of this part of the model updated with the new information.

This image shows the visible section of the newly discovered cage. It would appear that it attaches to the base of the dome somehow as there was a walkway built that wrapped around it that was still there post JP3 even though the cage wasn't, leaving a bit of a patio area. I suspect the dome itself was also a part of this cage in some capacity. This building was originally intended to be the lab so I believe this was where the baby dinosaurs were kept prior to being taken to Nublar. At least in the original design.

This is the cage from about the angle that it is visible in the new photograph posted in the Research section. Sliders shows that it is the same reddish rusty metal color as the portico supports.

Here's a corrected antenna setup on top of the observation platform. Strange there's no visible way to get into it from any angle. But either way the new photo is the first clear photo I've found of it.

Going back over the Sliders episode "Mother and Child" on the Roku Channel, which has it in higher quality than my original screenshots btw, it's now obvious that the wall doesn't turn 90 degrees at that small column but continues all the way to the back of the building on this side. This is confirmed by the new photograph as well upon closer inspection.

And here's an above shot of the room with the roof removed. As you can see there's an entrance into the base of the dome and a window to look into it. There's no "broken glass" in any of the sections above this level so it appears that the dome and the area below it was always supposed to be open to the elements. This is an observation window into some kind of domed enclosure. There is no window that goes into where the cage outside is, which makes me wonder if the two were linked originally and they closed up the base of the dome after they removed the cage section when redoing the set for JP3, leaving just a small doorway for people to pass through.

Feel free to speculate. Also if anyone can find any more photos of the Operations Building as it was during the Lost World, or maybe even some satellite or aerial imagery of the Psycho Flats area of the Univeral Backlot from 1997-1998. I can't find any satellite information that is clear enough to make out anything myself unfortunately.

EDIT: I did find a couple of Satellite photos of the Worker Village site, one from 1997 and one from 1998. Not clear enough to really get a good look but it's still useful.
Attachments
WorkerVillage1998SatMap.png
WorkerVillage1998SatMap.png (269.02 KiB) Viewed 43528 times
WorkerVillage1997SatMap.png
WorkerVillage1997SatMap.png (235.51 KiB) Viewed 43528 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

That octagon-dome area is quite interesting. Maybe it's meant to be a sort of "nursery" for observation of young specimens, while the "cage" is exactly that - a cage for holding the dinosaurs, enabling them to go out into the elements. Would match up with JP1's lab as well, with each being a seperate area. That would require some kind of passage between the two, of course, which we have no evidence of yet. Is this part of the building actually sitting on the terrain or is it still raised up? Looks like it might be touching the hillside. If so, it's possible that the balcony in the back connects to the hill. And it might even wrap all the way around the back of the octagon, as you had in the previous rendition.

Do you have a screenshot of the Sliders episode that shows the left-side windows going all the way to the back of the building? The angling of the dome's doors against that wall looks kind of funny, I'm wondering if there's more evidence of what that part of the building looks like.

Tried Google Earth but there aren't any photos of the set pre-2003. I was able to get a couple of decent shots though:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
This one shows the octagon side of the building, almost looks as if there's no balcony at all back there? Is the "cage" actually built right onto the terrain? This is post-JP3 but it doesn't look like they changed this area? Also you can clearly see the waterfall that seems to run under part of the set and feeds the pond beneath the building. The pond also flows into a stream that continues away to the bottom of the image. This will be useful when creating the actual level.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Not super useful but it does offer a really good look at the general shape and layout of the pond and surrounding area. I'm guessing the picnic area has been added post-set, though, so it may have been different during Lost World's production. Again I thought this might be useful later when building the level.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

I can't really get a good screenshot that shows it from Sliders because the blinds make it hard to see in a still image what you're looking at, but you can see the back wall of the Communications Center through the blinds in the windows of this other room. I'll attach a screenshot to this post which if you look closely in the middle you can see the back wall of the communications center. The camera is facing towards the communications center through the windows of this mystery room and pans from the front, past the double doors and stops parallel to the mural with the window continuing to go past the mural. Easier to see if you watch the video. Also now that I'm looking again the little column that is in the corner of the Communications Center isn't mirrored over either. I'll have to see if I can get a proper count on windows and figure out their sizes...

Not sure how I mistook it as windows in the side of the building instead of in that room, maybe because they kept going further than I thought and the screenshots were kinda crap? I don't know. As for how it and the doorway into the dome sit I did think that was weird but in the new photo to the immediate right of that doorway you can actually see part of the window frame... (I forgot to put that on my version, just have the window end with the wall).

Here's the picture for easy reference.
Also I'm attaching a collage of all the images from the 4 image collages I have of the building post JP3 that show the base of the dome area. You can kinda see where the cage used to sit. The only opening on this side of the base of the dome is a doorway sized opening that would be bisected by the cage if you follow what appears to be the seam in the floor of the balcony (First picture in the second row), it appears to go right to the center point of the dome on this side. Then it makes a 90 degree turn and links up with the back corner of the main building.

The balcony here is clearly not an original part of the set and was added either for ease of crew access or some other reason, you can see where the actual set balcony ends. Again, at a weird angle and not straight like on the other side. Though if you look at the new picture of the Ops Center it appears those last two sections of railing were not there before so it may have been flat on that side like the other side but the angled bit was added on with the extra railing due to the windows being added for JP3 so they wouldn't accidentally film the simple wooden railing and balcony. You can see the balcony at the back ends at the halfway point of the back end of the base of the dome as well. It's like they decided to connect the two seperate balconies together and had wrapped it around the old cage.

Now whether or not the cage went all the way down to the ground or not, I don't know. The evidence of seams only means that either that section was the floor of the cage or was added when the cage was taken down. It does appear to be lacking the visible boards that the rest of the balcony has. The floor is only about 3-4 feet or so above the ground here, the back of the base of the dome does sit on ground level it looks like. Kinda sucks that there's a faux wall leaning up against the back wall of the building here or we might be able to see some evidence from the exterior of what that area looked like.

And another thing that makes my eye twitch... I've positioned the octagon in a position that matches how it appears from multiple angles. The windows on the front line up with where they should with the main buildings front windows when looking straight in like in Sliders, the dome in relation to everything else matches up great... Then WHY is there only TWO upper windows between the top of the dome and the side of the building in my model but there's THREE in the photos of the set? The size of the octagon and main building was measured in Google Earth so the scale should be correct! GAH. *looks closer, looks at Google Earth, looks back...* Not all sides are the same width! AHHHHHHHHH *smashes head into keyboard* Looks like (even though the measurements differ between different dates) there is a consistency in that the dome base is WIDER than it is DEEP, as in side to side vs front to back. This makes the dome come up closer to the edge of the base on the front and back while being set back from the side to side. The 45 degree angle walls are slightly longer than the 90 degree angle walls.

Remember kids, there's a reason why not so many of us do 3D model work. :sick: I swear the set designers do this stuff to mess with us... even though that was 1997 and the only people back then doing 3D models of their sets would be people working on movie tie in games.

EDIT: Added an attachment with what you can see in Crossing Jordan compared to Sliders and a photo from Draco's account. It'll make the size differences between the sides more obvious. Also the column being right in the middle of the doorway is kinda confusing but it IS that way in the new photo, if you look close you can see it.
Attachments
CrossingJordanDomeBase.png
CrossingJordanDomeBase.png (812.29 KiB) Viewed 43471 times
SlidersWindows.png
SlidersWindows.png (1009.66 KiB) Viewed 43486 times
DomeBaseReferences.png
DomeBaseReferences.png (6.55 MiB) Viewed 43486 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I see, okay, that looks about right as you've described. Was the cage perhaps then added for JP3? You can clearly see the new wooden walkway in the cage shot, I wonder if the cage was originally there at the time of Lost World at all? Though judging by the colour and design of it, it definitely does look like it's part of the original. And whether the octagon had any walkway adjacent to it during the time of Lost World, aside from the bit more toward the centre of the building. I would guess that the cage originally reached to ground level and didn't have any floor under it at all, judging by the pictures, as it looks like all of the walkway there is new. Also this one has less evidence but I would also guess judging by the lighting on the inside of the cage (it looks really dark, as if there is more to it) in that image that the cage also makes a 90 degree turn and perhaps wraps around the back or connects to the side of the tower in some way - maybe it connects to the back balcony. I can't really see it just being that one straight piece and that's it, there's got to be a reason for it.

By the way, those stairs at the back and their attached railing look like they're original from the Lost World set. The railing is the same design, at least. In fact that new JP3 blocking the edge of them looks like its addition may have caused them to remove the rest of the railing (notice how the endpiece doesn't match other endpieces from other sections of railing). Which means that railing would have wrapped around the original balcony area before the JP3 stuff was added on. I had wondered what exactly the purpose of that outside balcony was but it makes a lot more sense with the stairs leading down to it, as a back entrance. The whole cage thing is still a mystery, though.

EDIT: I notice that the original railing on the back patio does end with a proper cap next to the back of the octagon, so it looks like either the patio ended there or this is likely where the cage would have lined up in some way. I would even hazard a totally speculative guess that this was a door or some passage into the cage, since there is no other real way into it that we know of, unless that door visible on the back of the octagon was there the whole time and wasn't added for JP3? That would make sense as the cage would then connect to the wall of the octagon and that door would be the entrance. The balcony probably ends there as the actual terrain would now be in the way.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

TheIdiot wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:56 am I see, okay, that looks about right as you've described. Was the cage perhaps then added for JP3? You can clearly see the new wooden walkway in the cage shot, I wonder if the cage was originally there at the time of Lost World at all? Though judging by the colour and design of it, it definitely does look like it's part of the original.
You can kinda see it in Sliders during the scene in The Dying Fields where they descend the stairs that are on the back side of the Boarding House. Modifications for JP3 don't appear to have started until 2000ish. Though it's hard to see if that walkway actually wraps all the way around the back of the cage or not from this angle.
TheIdiot wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:56 amAnd whether the octagon had any walkway adjacent to it during the time of Lost World, aside from the bit more toward the centre of the building. I would guess that the cage originally reached to ground level and didn't have any floor under it at all, judging by the pictures, as it looks like all of the walkway there is new. Also this one has less evidence but I would also guess judging by the lighting on the inside of the cage (it looks really dark, as if there is more to it) in that image that the cage also makes a 90 degree turn and perhaps wraps around the back or connects to the side of the tower in some way - maybe it connects to the back balcony. I can't really see it just being that one straight piece and that's it, there's got to be a reason for it.
Yeah I only modeled the part that is visible for now. For all I know it could have the same angle as the Octagon and wrap around the back. If you look at the 1998 Satellite map it kinda looks like it does just that and has a roof on it, hence why it's dark. There's definitely something there in both of them though, the 1998 one is more clear.
TheIdiot wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:56 amBy the way, those stairs at the back and their attached railing look like they're original from the Lost World set. The railing is the same design, at least. In fact that new JP3 blocking the edge of them looks like its addition may have caused them to remove the rest of the railing (notice how the endpiece doesn't match other endpieces from other sections of railing). Which means that railing would have wrapped around the original balcony area before the JP3 stuff was added on. I had wondered what exactly the purpose of that outside balcony was but it makes a lot more sense with the stairs leading down to it, as a back entrance. The whole cage thing is still a mystery, though.

EDIT: I notice that the original railing on the back patio does end with a proper cap next to the back of the octagon, so it looks like either the patio ended there or this is likely where the cage would have lined up in some way. I would even hazard a totally speculative guess that this was a door or some passage into the cage, since there is no other real way into it that we know of, unless that door visible on the back of the octagon was there the whole time and wasn't added for JP3? That would make sense as the cage would then connect to the wall of the octagon and that door would be the entrance. The balcony probably ends there as the actual terrain would now be in the way.
Yeah you can see the stairs in the Sliders episodes Mother and Child and The Unstuck Man. The second of which shows that a person standing at the top of the stairs is at about the same height as the roof of the Ops Center. The doorway could be original for all I know. I thought it was added because it doesn't have any form of frame but since the inside of the base of the dome was never finished that doesn't really mean anything. I will say that, while there's no sign of the cage in the video of the set under construction (It is under construction) there does appear to be something that's about 7 feet tall at about the distance away from the back of the base of the dome as the balcony would be. Maybe it's part of the doorframe? It's obscured by the helipad somewhat, but I know it's not a part of it (Trust me, I gave myself a migraine just building the main supports and still have to do the staircase.) See the attachment.

Also I found the Worker Village in the "satellite photo" of Sorna used on several props (including Eddie's GPS unit and several places in the RV for example). Get ready to laugh at how tiny it makes Sorna look.

Feel like it would take 20 minutes to walk across the whole island if that's how small it is in relation to the Worker Village :lol: But you can see the two beams in the roof, sorta see the front balcony shape. The Helipad is black for some reason and you can't see the dome that well (it's more of a blob) but it also has a black shape beside it about where the cage would be. The other buildings look like white blobs (could have been taken early in construction?) but you can see the fence and the red smudge aligns with the collapsed tower.
Attachments
BaseOfDomeConstruction.png
BaseOfDomeConstruction.png (545.91 KiB) Viewed 43451 times
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Very awesome thread, I love all this research that's going on. I just realized, have we ever found out what exactly the Octagon was meant to be? I'm looking at the pictures of the dome viewed from the back, and it looks kind of like a bird cage. I'm beginning to think that this dome was used as a cage for the Pteranodons that would've made their appearance in the original ending of TLW. Still, I don't know if this theory has been debunked before.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

It's possible and is something I had thought about. Definitely something that is designed to be open to the elements though so it seems most likely to be a cage. Wish we had set blueprints because they might have notes as to it's purpose or show the cage. Who knows, with all the stuff popping up recently maybe someone who has them will send them to Behind the Gates at some point.
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by codemuk3y »

I'd previously emailed the art director from this site

https://laurenpolizzi.com/set-design#/the-lost-world-1

She wasn't respnsible for the ops centre so she couldn't share that work but she did say that she would get in contact with the people responsible for the ops centre to see if they were happy to have their behind the scenes stuff shared. That was about six months ago now and nothing has turned up, so I'm guessing they didn't have the time to go back through all their paperwork and scan and upload it.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

The models look cool hppav, best of luck 'cause this looks to be like a huge undertaking. So long as you have the patience and you're having fun. 8)
spinaxoraptor
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by spinaxoraptor »

Very neat stuff :).
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Very late to this thread. But I love seeing all this research. Sadly most of the photos aren't working now. I am quite liking this bit about the dome being a young Pterosaur aviary. Makes sense, again, with the lab concept. Gee the film version sure likes to make the lab area small unless it's JP///.