-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser VR on Quest 2

Post by tatu »

Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

My Quest is ready and so am I :) Can't wait to walk around the island in VR. I stitched together my own map along with some assets and i explored it a bit in blender using VR scene inspection. It was great for getting the sense of scale, but i don't have any textures or animations so it's not really comparable to the real thing
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

It's super cool to see in VR. I'm liking this version so much more than my PCVR version because I think with less going on and more simplistic visuals, it's just easier to take it all in. There's also no normal maps on anything but the terrain (for texture blending), so it keeps things looking clean with no aliasing issues caused by specular highlights.

There's still only one tree that has an LOD mesh, and it's running amazingly well considering. There's just one spot where you look back towards the starting area from the construction site and you can see it's starting to struggle a bit. It seems to drop a few frames when looking down too, I'm not sure of the cause. I think once all the trees have LODs it will never miss a beat.

Things left to do before release will be:

Some birds, butterflies flying about.
Some dust / pollen partlces drifting around.
Ambient sounds.
Voiceovers for Anne.

A few more tweaks here and there and then it's good to go.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

last night I got a bit done. Butterflies and Seagulls are in. Dust /pollen particles are in. Reworked some of the physics audio stuff so it works better. Got about 50% of the ambient sounds in.

Just need to add the Anne voiceovers and tweak the timing of footstep sounds and it's done.

Can't believe after all this time I'm so close to a first actual release!
OhlsonAnimation
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by OhlsonAnimation »

This is amazing!! Can't wait to try it! Will you use the original dinosaur models to stay true to the original game?
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Okay I'm getting there.

There's now fully dynamic water, it's like a modern version of the original Trespasser water, but it's heightmapped, so the waves produced are 3d and they effect the buoyancy of any object hit by them. Anne has buoyancy values and also generates waves. It's a costly effect, so for the beach area it's hard to make it look as good as it can due to the size of that water plane. The detail has to be bumped up super high to provide enough mesh subdivisions to render smooth looking waves. Everywhere else in the game will look amazingly good because the water volumes are much smaller and don't need as many subdivisions. I didn't plan on do the dynamic water stuff, but I was still tweaking things so decided why not.

I've decided to disable shadows for the moment. The trade off is being able to run 4x antialiasing and anisotropic textures on everything, which results in nice crisp visuals. The Quest2 struggles with zfighting and low anisotropic levels results in flickering and aliasing everywhere. I'm looking at projected shadows or maybe just baking them, but it's surprising how little it affects the quality of the visuals. It kinda cleans things up and looks more authentic in some way.

I just need to tweak the sound interactions and then I'm done. It's tough getting the balance just right, otherwise it can be either too much or not enough.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Holy shit it's been tough trying to figure out what the hell was going on with these sounds. I was using a cheaper version of the impact collision script thinking it would save some overhead and perform better. It was instead the cause of all my issues. Object collisions weren't being calculated properly and I spent hours thinking I had my settings wrong, trying different velocity and collision settings. Some very late nights.

Anyway, it's done, I'm just fine tuning one final bonus thing and then ill upload it.

Just a heads up, without giving anything away, there's one person who gets to try this before anyone else. Once they've played it, I'll post a link to the download.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Download will be available very soon.

Kaffeebohnson
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Kaffeebohnson »

I'm so excited! Can't wait to test this out! I better start charging the ol' Quest2...
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Download now available on the TresCom news page!

Thanks for your help Tatu!
tatu

Post by tatu »

Happy to help! Will spread it in our other channels after work :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

I just finished playing, however I was mostly just messing around aimlessly, not really knowing what I was doing which is evident by my clumsy playstyle. Now, I see that I missed some things but I wanted to go in blind. Only then, I watched the trailer you posted above. It looks and plays remarkably close to the original, but with nicer graphics and more freedom. Some awesome foliage animation there BTW. Being able to walk around the beach area in VR, which really helps to grasp the size of each object and the environment, is a very interesting experience. I feel like there’s a potential for something really cool here. I tried breaking into the off-limits part of the island but it seems like your security is airtight :D Can't wait for future updates

s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Oh dude, awesome! I'm only 5 minutes in but i'm loving it. It's so good to watch someone else play it!

I gotta go to work, ill watch the rest later.

Thanks for trying it out!

BTW, i'll be working on auto aligning the chest model so it doesnt get too out of shape. It was a quick hack.
In the mean time, just hold down the Oculus button to re center it.
Kaffeebohnson
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Kaffeebohnson »

I finally wrangled my Quest2 into running this! Your program works fine, it's Meta who I am not sure want me to actually use their product, but I digress...

Amazing demo! Pretty much perfect!
- The high-res dino looks great! Still very similar to Trespasser, but like a faithful HD remaster.
- The environment feels spot on! It seems a bit better than the Original, but keeps the look, which is great. I was worried when you said you replaced trees, but the new ones look seamless to my eyes.
- Barrels seem HUGE! A common side-effect from porting vintage games to VR, a non-issue, just fun to see.
- Jumping works surprisingly well.

Some things I'd like to see adressed:
- When crouching, the world moves away from you as your head height seems locked in place. This was pretty immersion breaking! Having the option to adjust your stance with a stick should be an additional option next to moving up and down in physical space. I feel Boneworks did this pretty well.
- There should be an option for snap turning on the stick (45 degree increments), the smooth turning was pretty nausea inducing for me.
- Pulling up your legs after jumping was a bit fiddly as you need to move your right thumb very quickly from the jump button to the stick (unless I was missing something)
- Your hands don't look particularly female, but fine for now. Honestly I'd love to have the original asset as a hand.
- I'd love to have a physical arm coming out of my hand driven by inverse kinematics. No worries if it moves in unnatural angles, that would be a feature in my book, not a bug!
- I could see this game only supporting a single controller on screen (only one arm like the original), while the other is used exclusively for locomotion.
- My boobs seemed a bit close to my neck.
- no guns yet ;)

s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Yes crouching does not factor in real life crouching and it feels weird when the game world doesn't match your real life movement. This will be address at some point, I think it's as simple as setting it to standing mode.

All settings for snap turning and teleport locomotion will be added when I work on menus. I'll do my best to add most of the common comfort options that are standard these days.

You don't need to crouch when jumping to bring your legs up. Only when climbing. The legs will automatically tuck when jumping.

Hands are just default Hurricane assets. Will be changed when a whole new IK body is added that has both arms, but not sure about legs.

The boobs I'm working on right now. I'm adding holsters and using the auto alignment code to keep them in line with your body angle and to catch up when your head turns enough. I'm also adjusting the boob position back as they block your view of the holsters!

I've got about 5 trees left to make LODs for and I'm doing a few more optimisation things then I'll probably update this test and that'll be the last release until the next proper demo which will have guns and more stuff to do.

I'm thinking of maybe remaking the actual demo level. Could be fun.