Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser VR on Quest 2

Post by tatu »

Neat. Can't wait to see what you bring Deagles :D
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Deagles4life
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deagles4life »

tatu wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:05 pm Neat. Can't wait to see what you bring Deagles :D
Thank you! I made the post with the video included now!

https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=11859
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

This looks pretty cool. I don't play VR but it's nice to see a successor to the TestScene environment.., I forget who made that one.
Melber
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Melber »

s13n1 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:22 pm Download will be available very soon.

Absolutely fascinating. I've been thinking for so long about what it would be like to play "Trespasser" in VR. I hope I live to experience it for myself one day, and i hope one day it'll be for a "Valve Index". :D
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Life finds a way..

To kick you in the balls when you least expect it.

Just personal life shit to throw a spanner in the works. Literally a week or two after I release the Quest 2 demo when I'm probably the happiest I had been In a long time. I won't go into detail, I've had plenty of time to think about things and compose myself.

I made a few little changes and updates to what I'd initially released, but haven't worked on it since. I've had to prioritise other things in my life. But now that shits settled down, I'm super keen to get back into it.

Nothing will stop me from finishing this, so don't worry, unless I die or I'm jailed I'll see this through.

The Unity drama doesn't affect me at all either, so no worries there.

I'm surprised though, in like 7 months there's almost no videos of people playing it? I know it's a small demo, but I think there's only one video on YouTube?

Now's a good time to get yourself a Quest 2. The Quest 3 is due very soon and I'm seeing lots of used Quest 2s popping up at some really good prices.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Looks good... Nice to see an actual stream running through IJ1.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Looks great! I find it that Trespasser assets looks great in newer engines, without the need to "remaster" them. :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

I've managed to get an instanced grass working on Quest 2 at a usable frame rate. Has 5 different grass types from trespasser, so for about 25 metres there's now grass, flowers, ferns etc all over the ground. It has wind effects and can be made interactive so it can be flattened when stepped on. I'll try and get that working with the dinos if possible. Really helps enhance the terrain.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm that would be neat if grass remained flattened after being stepped on.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Draconisaurus wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:54 am Hmmm that would be neat if grass remained flattened after being stepped on.
The terrain shader I'm using allows for tessellated details to be stamped into it. So you could have the dinos leaving footprints. Not something I'll have in the Quest2 version though I don't think, might be pushing it!

I've made some good progress over the last couple of days. Decided to merge a bunch of common assets into a single material and texture atlas to try and reduce draw calls. This was quite a bit of work. I've also added some higher poly lods for barrels cause they looked a bit too chunky and added more sounds throughout the world. I really want the audio to be a standout feature, it's a huge part of VR and I feel like it doesn't get as much attention that it deserves. There's some really good wind noise that changes as you enter areas with more dense vegetation, it switches to a rustling sound, so you can hear the leaves of the vegetation around you. It's made a huge difference.

I've got to add some place holder weapon models and do a few more tweaks then I'll upload an updated demo.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Updated demo this week.

I've got a Desert Eagle in and working, the hand pose is all correct with recoil, ejecting shells, correct sounds and physics etc. There's no slide action, that will come with an updated model. Magazine reloading is something I'm still deciding on. The balance of the game needs to be considered if it's allowed, cause you could stuff your backpack with extra mags from all the Deagles you've found.

I've just got to update a few models and do a few little things here and there and it should be ready.
Screenshot_20231023-081417~2.png
Screenshot_20231023-081417~2.png (2.47 MiB) Viewed 40120 times
tatu

Post by tatu »

Awesome!
If magazines are going to be implemented, maybe you could end up replacing some of the guns found with magazines, instead of having magazines+guns?

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I'm impressed by how faithful this looks to the original. I'm still disappointed I won't get to check it out but it looks pretty fantastic. The use of the Tres grass/flower objects as groundcover works really well.
tatu wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:23 am If magazines are going to be implemented, maybe you could end up replacing some of the guns found with magazines, instead of having magazines+guns?
I like this idea, especially for later levels where the developers sort of just haphazardly threw guns around. If I'm finding a weapon, such a powerful tool should probably have some kind of story to it rather than it being out in the middle of the jungle for no discernable reason.
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by codemuk3y »

I've said it before, those guns would have been covered in rust and unusable if that was real life and they were left like that

Maybe the AK would have been salvagable
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton