Trespasser VR on Quest 2

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Kaffeebohnson
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Re: Trespasser VR on Quest 2

Post by Kaffeebohnson »

The locomotion improvements and options are great to hear! In general, this demo feels way less jank than other VR games (ironic given the source material), is there a modern Framework this is based on? What engine does it use?

If you consider redesigning levels, I'd propose leaving the first few levels as they were, considering they are fairly iconic. I think later levels could benefit much more from some level design love, especially the ascent.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by s13n1 »

Okay holsters are working and the chest is anchored to them so it rotates as you turn or look around. There's a slight delay so it's not a 1:1 follow, otherwise it would look and feel strange. It's about as good as this simple set up can look. Unless you rapidly turn at full speed while looking down at your shoulders, you won't see any issues. A proper IK body will solve everything but that won't be for some time.

The chest has been brought back and lowered a little, but I still need to tweak the position a little more and adjust the holsters too, so the weapons in your belt are clearly visible.

I've swapped out the butterflies and Seagulls with far cheaper particle versions. They're super efficient to render and have probably saved 2-3fps. I can't make these ones land or avoid the player, but it's a worthwhile tradeoff. If I can find cheap fish it'll save even more frames, cause those little fish a little bit pricey to render.

I've got a pistol and shotgun in, but I need to get impact sounds setup for them as well as particle impacts so you can see the bullet impacts. I'm not going to mess with weapon models, just stick with the Hurricane default stuff.

I'm still trying to sort out a solid solution for the roads. A projected spline decal would be the ultimate, so there's no mesh zfighting issues, but such a thing doesn't exist. Regular solutions work fine for non VR games, but in VR if you don't project the texture onto the terrain and instead just render a mesh that's an inch off the terrain, you can see it clearly in VR. In the editor you'll struggle to notice it's hovering above the terrain but in VR it'll look like it's 5 inches above it.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Kaffeebohnson wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:35 pm The locomotion improvements and options are great to hear! In general, this demo feels way less jank than other VR games (ironic given the source material), is there a modern Framework this is based on? What engine does it use?

If you consider redesigning levels, I'd propose leaving the first few levels as they were, considering they are fairly iconic. I think later levels could benefit much more from some level design love, especially the ascent.
Engine is Unity, VR physics framework is Hurricane and the player controller / vr body is HexaBody.

Early in development I was using a different system that had basic hands that weren’t solid, so they just passed through objects and didn’t pose dynamically when grabbing things. It was a good system, but Hurricane is amazing. Even compared to games like HL Alyx, Hurricane has less latency. Alyx has a slight latency when touching things and moving things around. Hurricane is lightning fast and has perfect physics interaction. The dynamic posing stuff is some of the best too.

Edits to levels will be made to improve puzzles and possibly for performance reasons if needed. I don’t plan on radically changing things, but I do want to introduce most new gameplay mechanics in the first level if possible, as it’s a bit of a tutorial in the original game. I don’t plan on holding the players hands and I hope they use some initiative to figure things out.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Stumbled upon videos of this a while ago while looking up Trespasser videos on YouTube and all I can say is it looks amazing. Too broke for VR but I always thought that Trespasser was a perfect application for it. A LOT of the developers' original puzzle ideas would be easier to implement in a VR environment.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

hppav wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:06 pm Stumbled upon videos of this a while ago while looking up Trespasser videos on YouTube and all I can say is it looks amazing. Too broke for VR but I always thought that Trespasser was a perfect application for it. A LOT of the developers' original puzzle ideas would be easier to implement in a VR environment.
Keep your eyes on the used market, with the Quest Pro out and a Quest 3 on the way, you'll start to see a lot of second hand Quest2s popping up. I got a used 64gb model, paid a bit more than I should, but it was from a shop so I was happy to get a warranty.

I can't convince someone they need anything, but all I can say is since getting the Quest2, I haven't touched my PC headset. The Quest2s tracking and overall quality of the experience is amazing. I didn't get one with the intention of making a version of Trespasser for it, but once I'd played with it I knew I had to try.

If you do decide to buy one, it has to be a Quest 2, the original isn't supported because it's just not powerful enough.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

All trees have LODs now, holsters and chest are working great and positioned nicley. Pistols in your belt are angled nicely and easily visible and accessible. The paint cans have been somewhat fixed cause they were doing some crazy physics shit.

I've rendered out new hill billboards using the new vegetation models:
combined_jungle.png
combined_jungle.png (311.85 KiB) Viewed 41055 times
I experimented some more with using mesh terrains, but I'm still having a better overall experience with Unity terrains. I converted the terrain to an 8x8 grid of meshes, and did that 4 times at different subdivision levels and then setup LODs for each chunk. But the vertices along the edges of each chunk aren't always aligned, so there's visible gaps in the terrain sometimes. There might be a way to adjust these manually, but in the end it's adding a shit load of additional memory usage. The size of the built APK is more than double, and that's just for this one level. It's simply not worth it for now.

I've got the game optimised about as much as I can. It's sitting at 72fps 99.9% of the time (which is the Quest2 native refresh rate), with occasional dips below and occasion jumps above. That's with soft shadows enabled, 2x antialiasing and anisotropic settings forced on for every texture.

The game Green Hell uses Application SpaceWarp. It's a technique to kind of interpolate the frames so the game can run slower but still look like it's rendering at 72fps. It's magical stuff, cause with the OVRMetrics running on GreenHell, it's running at only 32-36fps, yet it looks like it's 72fps. It's bizarre.

You need to be running the Universal Render Pipeline and Vulkan to take advantage of it, which by itself could see the fps drop a little initially, but with ASW enabled it could be well worth it.

I'm just waiting for Unity to finish importing my assets then I'll do a first test build using it.

If it's the performance boost I hope it is, it could mean longer draw distances for shadows and vegetation and I'll never have to worry about big areas like the second valley of I.J.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Neat. I am surprised no-one has made proper HD billboard textures for Trespasser yet. That could probably increase the look a lot :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Kaffeebohnson
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Kaffeebohnson »

Cool! I like these development updates, very interesting!
spinaxoraptor
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by spinaxoraptor »

s13n1 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:43 am Quest 2 version being worked on. More of a port of the original, as it will look like the original and have individual levels. There will be some new stuff, but it wont be radically different.

I haven't got time to explain everything, but this Quest 2 version will kind of serve as a base for the PCVR version, as there was some big changes needed for performance that I used this Quest 2 version to prototype, and it's turned out pretty good.

I'll have a download pretty soon for any Quest 2 owners to sideload and test.
Awsome! I cant wait
Deagles4life
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deagles4life »

I ordered a second hand quest 2 and its making me tempted to crawl my attempt of a trespasser clone out of the depths of development hell into a vr game, I've already started testing things, I've also got muelsa's Jurassic Pack from buying it in 2016 (so glad hes updated it since then) though my quest 2 is still in the mail so im forced to use my windows mixed reality headset for testing, is hurricane vr worth it?
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Hurricane is the best. But, the player controller isn't included, it's an additional cost. It's a bit pricey but if you put a per hour value on what it would cost to write it yourself, it's a bargain.
Deagles4life
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deagles4life »

Oh damn, I looked everywhere about it and I thought for sure the player controller is included, it even lists the features of the player movement in the overview, does the demo scene just not work without the other package?

Oh are you talking about the special physics based player controller, the hexabody one, it's really cool like boneworks style of movement but for the price I think I'll stick with the standard for now I don't know how much Jumping and climbing I plan on adding but the default one has sprinting crouching and jumping too just nowhere as realistic.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Yep. I tried lots of different systems and hurricane + hexabody was just the best.

You could also look at VRIF, for the price there's a hell of a lot of value there!
Deagles4life
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deagles4life »

I received my Quest 2 on Friday and after careful deliberation I've decided to endorse VRIF...

I've almost finished making a very nice desert eagle with the gun system in VRIF, I love the ease of use of the whole framework, I've blown the dust off of my old JP projects Facebook pages and have merged them together for a combined following of 1.4k.

I've sourced the heightmap of an Island just off shore from my old home town (of which I've always thought looked like the Trespasser Isla Sorna)

I made a Spas 12 too :) still not too sure on how to link up the gun damage to the health system of the dinos or get the dinos attacks to affect player health but once I have sorted those out I'll have everything I need to make a functional demo and chuck it on my quest
Deagles4life
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deagles4life »

I am so bad at coding but I managed to get the guns to trigger death in Dino's after a customisable number of shots so enemy health system is a go!

Next I'll probably take a page out of Trespassers code and attach a script for DMG over time to the head and or feet colliders (for jump attacks) to trigger a vignette over the players view and trigger a game over screen after health drops to zero, I'm so close to a playable combat tech demo!

Ok I 'made' a health script that plays rng pain sfx and a death sfx and restarts the level when health reaches 0,
I have a short video made up of me testing it all,
I will make my own thread for "Intruder: VR" tomorrow and include the video and screenshots so I'm not bogging down your thread with my ramblings haha