Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: Undergrowth level development.

Post by gooplieslime »

TheIdiot wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:31 pm
gooplieslime wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:21 pm 1. So the dinosaur is actually inside the carcass like how hyena's hide inside elephant carcasses to get away from lions or from a rival hyena clan. They basically lash out at the player to get away from them to not have the nearby predator to notice both of them, maybe I should have a trigger that occurs when the Megapnosaurus leaves the carcass it triggers the predator to go to an anchor thats close to the carcass, enough to make it attempt to attack the player and the Megapnosaurus. Also yeah I do agree its kinda gross to see a living animal come out of a carcass.
Interesting, I did not know about that behaviour. In that case you'd probably have to make the carcass rather large for your CAnimal to fit inside. My suggestion would be to make your carcass model, and then take the model of the megapnosaurus in Max and adjust it into a static position that looks like its hiding inside. If the player gets near, you could make the "hiding" model invisible and replace it with an "attacking" model, which you could animate using the ASA system to "reach" out and attack the player. This is some fairly complex scripting. Alternatively, you would just make the carcass large enough to actually get the CAnimal inside of, and disable all of its behaviours using a Start Trigger other than ActNothing so it stays in place until you need it to move, which you would then execute by doing exactly what you described with anchors.
gooplieslime wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:21 pm 2. I think the idea of including traps in the temple wasn't in my mind
Take a look at the Mayan ruins in AS1. They have functioning dead-drop traps when you step underneath them. You could do something like that in your temple.
I remember when I was first modding this game back in like 2008-'09ish, I converted the interior of one of those temples into a recreation of the Peruvian temple from the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark, complete with a golden Raptor idol you could take if you managed to get across a tiled floor that fired darts if you stepped on the wrong ones. :wink: I wish I still had those early levels of mine...
1. I think I'm going with a more simpler scripting for the megapnosaurus in the carcass. like have a static model be in the carcass and once the player gets too close enough the static model its then replaced with the CAnimal.

2. I should try to implement the retail games traps and maybe take inspiration from that level you mentioned being a recreation of the Peruvian temple from the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark with the dart trap.
Profile done by Mortis.

Slime from another planet, reaching out to other communities and such. Obtaining new materials for his species.
Gathering new friends or allies.
Reaching out for the marvelous world out there
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

gooplieslime wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:10 pm 2. I should try to implement the retail games traps
There are actually some additional ones in the early walkthrough that were meant for the Hunter Camp, I believe. One of which is a deadfall trap - I think the model for it can be found somewhere - and the other being a pitfall trap, which is easy enough to do. There are some examples of that in JPDS~Plains you might use as reference.
gooplieslime wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:10 pm and maybe take inspiration from that level you mentioned being a recreation of the Peruvian temple from the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark with the dart trap.
Hmm, now I wonder if getting the giant rolling boulder working would be possible as well... :P
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

TheIdiot wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:32 am
There are actually some additional ones in the early walkthrough that were meant for the Hunter Camp, I believe. One of which is a deadfall trap - I think the model for it can be found somewhere - and the other being a pitfall trap, which is easy enough to do. There are some examples of that in JPDS~Plains you might use as reference.
Yeah thats a pretty simple to recreate trap, I seen Shadefyre's video on JPDS-Plains. Its a pretty simple to recreate since you gotta make a small pit, add a death trigger and a false terrain mesh.
TheIdiot wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:32 am
Hmm, now I wonder if getting the giant rolling boulder working would be possible as well... :P
Sounds interesting, have you tested that concept?
Profile done by Mortis.

Slime from another planet, reaching out to other communities and such. Obtaining new materials for his species.
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: Level ideas & concepts

Post by gooplieslime »

updated the topic to be Level ideas and concepts.
Profile done by Mortis.

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

gooplieslime wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:48 pm Sounds interesting, have you tested that concept?
I have not. In fact I don't know if anyone has ever tried making a proper rolling ball in-game. You'd need a lot of physics objects to try and make it "round".
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

The Olmec head at the top of the pyramid in AS does roll down the pyramid, but usually stops partway down. I think the biggest problem is that Trespasser's physics freeze if there isn't a constant force pushing the object, so you'd probably need to set up multiple push triggers to keep the ball rolling.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

The ball or head whatever does roll yes but it is not a physics problem that stops it. I had it tool all the way down I have to remember what I did to get it to do that but I will find out how.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:44 am
gooplieslime wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:48 pm Sounds interesting, have you tested that concept?
I have not. In fact I don't know if anyone has ever tried making a proper rolling ball in-game. You'd need a lot of physics objects to try and make it "round".
I'd go with the small rhombicuboctahedron... it just requires 9 right rectangular prisms of the same size for the physics.

https://polytope.miraheze.org/wiki/Smal ... octahedron
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:41 pm I'd go with the small rhombicuboctahedron... it just requires 9 right rectangular prisms of the same size for the physics.
That's exactly what I was picturing. The only thing is that the flat sides still might cause it to stop rolling nonetheless fairly easily, though changing some physics values might make a difference. It would probably still work if you pushed it, though, perhaps using a pusher object.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Maybe playing around with the values of the friction parameter...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

We should really test that physics object to see if we can get results if Trespasser physics is kind to it which will indicate that it works or it doesn't.
Profile done by Mortis.

gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

Update on the Undergrowth level. I made a new level file for it and used the Mega Jungle assets from TI, the level is looking great soo far, just need to create a bit more terrain and some puzzles.
Profile done by Mortis.

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

I believe a lot is still possible with the game, script wise if carefully tested, but it is really time consuming so it usually don't happen!
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey goople, great to see such fertile ideas for levels. Some of these are difficult to pull off, be prepared but don't let the difficulty stop you.

Recreation of the Plains is a pretty big project. If I did something like that myself, it'd probably take most of a year. The Plains was scrapped in part because the area was too large and open for CAnimals in Tres. You can only have 3 active Dinosaurs at a time without them starting to lose AI quality. So you'd end up with huge areas of nothing but terrain and grass. I don't really recommend the project, but consider making your own "version" of the Plains that solves some of the issues their original plan has.

On your idea of an herbivore consuming meat, I've heard of that sort of thing and I think it's a great idea. Of course few people would get the idea without some sort of information on what's going on. ActionType 34 is OverlayText, which you can use in substitiute for voiceovers. It's been done in many fan levels already.

The ally Dino is a great idea. I put together an example myself, "Pikompy" in JPDS~testing. Sadly I never really succeeded in having it defend the player against enemy Dinos. It's fairly simple to script the friend-Dino so it doesn't attack you; HumanLove = 1.0, if I'm not mistaken. The issue as I recall was that Pikompy would spend a lot of its time being sure to stay close to the player, and thus didn't get around to attacking other Dinos. So you may need to experiment.

On AI boxes, they work fine, just be sure your Dinos have ActGetOut = true.

On the Dino taking cover in a carcass. That'd be a great new thing to see, I appreciate the eye for detail. JPDS~streams has a sleeping TRex at the construction site by the shoreside cliff. Basically there is a static, posed Dinosaur model, and when the player comes close enough to it, or if an object comes inside a certain range, the sleeping TRex model is teleported away and a CAnimal is teleported to the same spot.
TheIdiot wrote:I converted the interior of one of those temples into a recreation of the Peruvian temple from the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark, complete with a golden Raptor idol you could take if you managed to get across a tiled floor that fired darts if you stepped on the wrong ones.
Oh man I'd love to see that. You really had working darts in this level?
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Right, I forgot about Pikompy.

If I remember correctly, I think TC Ops had a small temple with a silver raptor idol and dart traps.