Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Gmax

Post by tatu »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:18 pm After reading some other posts here would it be easier overall to go to blender instead of using gmax?
For models yes, but there is no terrain exporter for Blender.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

tatu wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:30 pm
Bryankd2015 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:18 pm After reading some other posts here would it be easier overall to go to blender instead of using gmax?
Tatu, correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't there a convert to TPM for the terrain in TresEd? Can't check rn cause I'm in school rn.
Profile done by Mortis.

Slime from another planet, reaching out to other communities and such. Obtaining new materials for his species.
Gathering new friends or allies.
Reaching out for the marvelous world out there
tatu

Post by tatu »

gooplieslime wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:45 pm
Tatu, correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't there a convert to TPM for the terrain in TresEd? Can't check rn cause I'm in school rn.
There is, but Blender don't have a script to export a TPM to a TRR which is required in order to convert it to a WTD.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

tatu wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:49 pm
gooplieslime wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:45 pm

There is, but Blender don't have a script to export a TPM to a TRR which is required in order to convert it to a WTD.
I see now, thank you Tatu with that knowledge .
Profile done by Mortis.

Slime from another planet, reaching out to other communities and such. Obtaining new materials for his species.
Gathering new friends or allies.
Reaching out for the marvelous world out there
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Well thanks for all that. I am figuring out errors as I go with knowledge I pick up in the forums.. thanks for all the replies it is helping..
Last edited by Bryankd2015 on Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I tried using the grab thing and it is only taking part of the listener window at a time, does not work.. I still cannot save some changes to anything mostly when import terrain files which look good and everything else but fails on save over open, create or write errors. not sure why.

I do not understand using the bmp height maps in tresed, as you have to have a level loaded for that to become available. I do not want to load a heightmap on top of a level that is already there, can someone explain this process to me please? I have several heightmaps, and want to see how they look, but you can see my problem.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Weird, GMaxSLGRAB should be able to export everything, that's the point of the program so you don't have to copy/paste in multiple chunks.

Just use the GeomAdd to rename/copy a level or use shell generator to create a new blank level if you're afraid of accidentally replacing your level's terrain.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I am checking out a program that is a fork of blender and it sounds easier to use than blender, bforartists and I will get the scripts for blender and try it to see if it works, it is a freeware program open source written in C and C++ as far as I know.
Screenshot (260).png
Screenshot (260).png (371.94 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Just a helpful note that heightmap import inside TresEd is, from experience, a very bad idea. It may look alright as you do it, but the terrain will be different ingame from what you see in Terrain Edit Mode or inside TresEd editing. This is why we go through the TRR format.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Thanks. I will only be using the terrain from the different levels. I am still trying to figure out what town level let you out the mountain side and not the known gate. What terrain is that so I can use it. Am stuck on the plains level now as it is not working correctly but I k ow the problems trying to fix it but I need that terrain file if it makes sense.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:02 am Thanks. I will only be using the terrain from the different levels. I am still trying to figure out what town level let you out the mountain side and not the known gate. What terrain is that so I can use it. Am stuck on the plains level now as it is not working correctly but I k ow the problems trying to fix it but I need that terrain file if it makes sense.
That terrain is only present in the 15R and 15N Town versions.

Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Thanks. I will work on it.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Gmax is not working for me at all. I can import only some things and it fails to export anything. So I am not sure what I am doing wrong but pretty sure I am doing something wrong so try other sources to see what it might be. Still working on getting max myself to availed the problems altogether and got totally lost looking at the blender ones.
tatu

Post by tatu »

There may be some working older version of Gmax on Archive.org. I am unsure how much the current Gmax script works with later versions of Gmax (machf may know). Unless you provide more information like showing the steps you take when exporting something, we could help. But otherwise it is very little information to go on.

Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I understand that I will update this when I can but atm I am doing more concerning terrain alterations and preparing to do the plains level based on it15n map and so far is fairly easy going. It may not be to walkthrough but it will be the plains as I see them or the beginning of them. I need to place more items and terrain textures before anymore screenshots.

I might be able to get max 6.0 hoping that will work is a pretty old one but a friend has it if it works.