Canned Levels + release

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: Canned Levels + release

Post by gooplieslime »

Just updated the level releases to include 2 unamed levels.
Profile done by Mortis.

Slime from another planet, reaching out to other communities and such. Obtaining new materials for his species.
Gathering new friends or allies.
Reaching out for the marvelous world out there
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Sounds great thank you
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Unnamed #1 has an error and can't be loaded:

Code: Select all

WARNING: Missing instance "Trig_Teleport_Dest0rex-01", used in "Trig_TeleRapt0.Action00", value TeleportDestObjectName
To fix it change string TeleportDestObjectName = "Trig_Teleport_Dest0rex-01" to string TeleportDestObjectName = "Trig_Teleport_Dest0rex".
Unnamed #2 has ground textures with messed up pallets. It's nice to see the Trespasser Legacy Giga.

Both these levels are not particularly interesting in their current forms, all the carnivores have a nearby herbivore to attack/eat so they tend to leave the player alone. It's a mostly peaceful walk in the forest.
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

Those were my first levels, they werent that impressive or good. They have bugs with them like that since I haven't fully understood Trespasser scripting while making these levels. I think the only animal out for blood is in Unnamed #2 which is the Para, they're basically a prehistoric moose, the scaled down ones are absolute speed demons from what I remember.
Profile done by Mortis.

Slime from another planet, reaching out to other communities and such. Obtaining new materials for his species.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks for releasing these. TresCom can always use new mods even if they are small. And it's nice to see the one or two new Dinos put to use, you should use more of them!
(As a note, it's not necessary to include .orig files with a download.)

Canyon
Despite how short the level is, I really like this. Its quality still seems on par with many good mods, given how small it is. I enjoyed the consistent theme of a rocky nest gorge. You're new here so I'll tell you that I'm the guy who only uses melee (or nonlethals), the spas at the start I grabbed made the perfect rebar replacement after emptying the clip. I really enjoyed duking it out with the PS1 Deinonychuses.

Swamp
So glad to see someone else bringing all the swamp assets together for an actual swamp. Tres really dropped the ball on using those trees the right way, tho I don't blame them considering their difficulties. That Sucho is fairly nice, tho might look nice with some normal mapping.

Unnamed level #1
This level crashed my game when trying to play it, so I had a look in TresEd. Pretty neat collection of disconnected microenvironments. I can almost imagine them connected in a maze of narrow passages. It might get a bit boring without some sort of manmade element, or a natural eye-catcher I can't think of. Maybe if there were enough scripted AI events, Dinos chasing each other or whatnot.

Unnamed level #2
So... despite what I said above, this approach of massive explorable natural-only areas grew on me as I played this. Now that I think of it, even TptDac had some broad-empty areas in his level TheFourTowers. So even that part doesn't seem bad. It was quite nice to see Dinos simply doing their things in each area, even an eating Para at one point. Slightly odd to see the Paras being a bit carnivourous sometimes. I liked the baby Raptors, tho they kept killing themselves on the "chew toy" bone. (It's possible to fix this by giving the physics a damage value of -10.0; that will cause the impact to actually heal HP, but it fixes the issue.) Wouldn't mind seeing more levels like this.

Canyon (second release)
More cool areas, thought the minimum made-made spot worked well. Was there a puzzle in mind for it? Leptoceratops looks cool tho one or two of the vertices was spiking around, would like to see a fixed version so it can be put in other mods.

Overall really nice levels of natural areas, great work. I look forward to seeing more, and some of those new rigged Dinos going about!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I didn't look at the two latest levels as they overwrite another level file. :? Any chance you could rename them to something more unique? I like to keep a complete collection of Tres levels and I hate to not be able to include these for that reason.
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

TheIdiot wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:35 am I didn't look at the two latest levels as they overwrite another level file. :? Any chance you could rename them to something more unique? I like to keep a complete collection of Tres levels and I hate to not be able to include these for that reason.
I renamed them with some basic level names. They may not really be impressive names, but they wont replace eachother or any level lifes that have the same name.
Profile done by Mortis.

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Thanks for fixing those. I took a quick look at the levels and I find they're both pretty similar to your previous ones, a large, open terrain with a lot of dinosaurs. I like that you put the old parasaur model to use, and the redwoods level looks quite nice in some places. Fairly simple stuff but still fun to poke around in. :) I have a couple of recommendations for future levels: keep the playable area a lot smaller with less open expanses in order to reduce the amount of time the player spends moving from place to place, and make sure you're not scaling-up Terrain Objects too much as this tends to make them look rather low-detail. You're better to keep them at a smaller size and just copy+paste a bunch of them around. :)
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

TheIdiot wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:40 pm Thanks for fixing those. I took a quick look at the levels and I find they're both pretty similar to your previous ones, a large, open terrain with a lot of dinosaurs. I like that you put the old parasaur model to use, and the redwoods level looks quite nice in some places. Fairly simple stuff but still fun to poke around in. :) I have a couple of recommendations for future levels: keep the playable area a lot smaller with less open expanses in order to reduce the amount of time the player spends moving from place to place, and make sure you're not scaling-up Terrain Objects too much as this tends to make them look rather low-detail. You're better to keep them at a smaller size and just copy+paste a bunch of them around. :)
Thanks for the advice TI. I'm currently trying to like prevent any backtracking in any future levels and the amount of time it takes for them to walk a mile to another area or location, along with not scaling-up Terrain objects since they will look low detailed since their bmp file isn't meant to be scaled up.
Profile done by Mortis.

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

No problem! :) A good level you might want to check out that exemplifies "good, tight level design" would be Craters. This is one of the best in level-design terms, in my book, and it's nicely detailed as well. There is a clear gameplay flow and it is clear where you have to go and what you have to do without being in-your-face about it, and the variety of enemies, locations and puzzles is very impressive, all tucked into a few small craters that are re-visited several times in the best possible way.