The (un)known missing levels.

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Re: The (un)known missing levels.

Post by Bryankd2015 »

nope.. same errors no matter what I tried making a neww level again and it did the same

Didn’t Someone make a starter level before that is just the basics to begin. Never mind I found it thanks drac
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey Bryan. Glad you've decided to start simpler with modding.
To navigate the custom Shell_Gen folders/contents that are in Tres Twilight/Millennium, and to learn lots of other important things, I recommend watching these videos:
https://youtu.be/DasTsmXnrZE
https://youtu.be/wBHGqz1eZ8o

I'm glad you are working on this to learn modding basics. Your endeavors here, and others' work over the past weeks/months, is convincing me that what we need now is a more comprehensive set of tutorial/help files for modding Tres. I'm going to turn this into a priority now.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Personally, I think we need a good instruction and use the start level or multiple start levels to learn with as a package. Is easier to deal with one already made first.

The shell generator is still not working keeps giving errors as previously mentioned on this thread. I remembered something about a starter level that was supposed to make it easier for beginners so I found that one. Haven’t actually tried it yet but it looks good.

After watching part of the tutorial from the ink you might want to consider taking the key strokes sounds off them is is really loud and annoying to hear you go through the steps.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

It is getting late here, but glad you are taking a step back.
I believe I can inform you about some issues you are telling. These logs are helpful, I'll make a proper reply during the weekend. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Thank you. That will be good information. I am watching tutorials and reading more than doing atm. I been writing a few things down and going to be working on them shortly.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:03 pm The shell generator is still not working keeps giving errors as previously mentioned on this thread.
I'm pretty sure the shell generator is working as intended. If you don't import a player model, terrain placement cube, and sky texture then the game doesn't know how to handle the level.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm, you're using minilev or startlev? Startlev has a bug where the Player's health is not displayed on the heart tattoo. I've made a note about it, I should get around to making a new version which is fixed.

I'm aware of the silly beeping sound. Future tutorials won't have that.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Nick3069 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:03 pm
Bryankd2015 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:03 pm The shell generator is still not working keeps giving errors as previously mentioned on this thread.
I'm pretty sure the shell generator is working as intended. If you don't import a player model, terrain placement cube, and sky texture then the game doesn't know how to handle the level.
It does indeed, Nick. I use it all the time. The Quik_Start html file outlines the steps involved. Someone isn't reading. :no:
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Screenshot (237).png
Screenshot (237).png (68.14 KiB) Viewed 2820 times
Rebel wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:42 pm

It does indeed, Nick. I use it all the time. The Quik_Start html file outlines the steps involved. Someone isn't reading. :no:
Ok let’s start this at the beginning shall we I tried using the quick start guide I filled everything it said problem is and was that the import part tells you generally not specifically to get certain imports with geomadd go look in each directory now chose what for each. Edit this file to say what. That’s right it says nothing to edit just drop this file in the folder and it changes. Why did I not see that coming. ?

The startup guide as you call it should be a little better described I did it the same way twice and it failed. I put the diagnostics up from geomadd. Did anyone tell me I might be doing something wrong?

Now for not blaming anyone please act as if you don’t know anything and only follow the quick start guide and see how you do.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Byran, I have to get to sleep, but in the link below is a level named puzzle beach and it uses the beach terrain. It's a bare level, the only thing in there is Anne and 1 ground texture.
As far as the program, I wrote it and the directions for it use. Sorry, but I can't explain how to use it any better than I what I included per instructions. Maybe Drac or tatu will come
around to help you further, but this old man has to hit the hay. :|

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/uhmb8fnc ... h.zip/file
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Thank You, Rebel. I will check this out. Still going through the tutorials that draconasaurus posted and writing everything down.. thinking I see what I missed and will do it from that point.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I am not entirely sure what is going wrong with your level generation using ShellGen, Bryan. As far as I've been able to tell, you should be able to import everything you need that GeomAdd reports as an error directly through GeomAdd even after the level has been generated, regardless of what errors you're getting. TresCE can load levels that have zero objects in them whatsoever, but you need to import at least the sky, player and Terrain Placement objects as an absolute bare minimum.
Your ShellGen level generation is not failing, from what I can tell. It looks like you're just missing the TrnPlacement object, which you can import with GeomAdd.

I absolutely must implore you, especially while you're still learning, to make multiple back-ups of your level files each time you intend on saving them. Even if you are just adjusting the values of one object, or importing a new mesh, or deleting a mesh. That way if something goes wrong, you can compare the GeomAdd (or GUIApp) reports to help you figure out what's gone wrong. And there is a LOT that can go wrong, some of which is completely un-intuitive and unclear.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Screenshot (240).png
Screenshot (240).png (73.49 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
Screenshot (239).png
Screenshot (239).png (84.71 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
The terrain placement cube. Yes I tried to add it and got nothing. However thanks to Draco’s help I think I figured out why. You have to edit the trnplcement .txt file to reflect what terrain you want. I never knew to edit a file based on the quick start guide as it does not say anything about edits.
Screenshot (242).png
Screenshot (242).png (291.75 KiB) Viewed 2759 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

That should work. Note that while you're viewing your level in TresEd, after you've imported your object, you can double-click on it to open up its T-Script. This will show you the same text you posted in the first image - this is the object's T-Script, which essentially describes all of the object's attributes (this is where machf's T-Script Reference comes in handy). From there you can simply edit the T-Script in the same way you did before importing the object, and then press "Update Script" in order to save it. Once you save your level, it will now work as intended, loading your level's .WTD terrain file. :)
tatu

Post by tatu »

What people seem to forget to tell you Bryan, is that you should put the TrnPlacement.values.txt file inside the "Import_Terrain" folder, replace when asked, and import the TrnPlacement.tpm file from that folder. That way the terrain will load :)
You do this each time you generate new level files, as Shell will make a new VALUES file with the correct name already in it. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."