The (un)known missing levels.

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

The (un)known missing levels.

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I have been working with my old files and came across several versions. I have been trying to figure out the following files and how I know if they are my personal edited ones or if they came from here.

The files outside of the retail and version96 ones.. I wanted to find out if I can or not get the plantation house, the plains, and a fixed version of the pine valley.

The original idea I had I still want to try, to put the game together as originally intended. by the walthrough from 97, would have been the beach, jungle road, hunters camp, plantation house(now merged), industrial jungle, the in town level, plains, pines valley, shores, lab, ascent, and summit. I am trying to either recreate or put together the files in that order to make sense(game), and have a dream version of the game as the creators wanted, if that makes sense. I know some of those resources do not exist to my knowledge, but with creating, merging, moving lines and file name, we might be able to make it work. I do not see anywhere that someone else has tried this yet. in the merging, etc, I am also going to attempt to put some of the puzzles indicated back in or create them into the game as the walkthrough shows.

Is there anyone that might be able to help with any of this. I do already have a lot of resources, just dont have the missing levels at this point.
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Re: The (un)known missing levels.

Post by Double_G »

You're going to like this thread :)
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I did thank you very much. I also have another question that came up as I have been working on this. How can you get the coordinates for a particular map if you create one to match the known coordinates for a certain area such as the plains?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

As Double_G noted, tatu and I have that in our plans for the Isla Sorna Project. We want to recreate as much of the missing stuff as possible in addition to combining all of the different elements from all of the various versions of the levels together. Thusfar we're still working on getting the base levels ready (BE-PH1, PH2-PL, PV-SUM I think is tatu's current plan), but once they're finished we have a lot of further plans that we don't want to spoil yet that include adding in the walkthrough stuff and re-doing everything to be consistent. If we ever got an engine upgrade that allowed it, we would be combining all of the levels into one single open-world level instead.
Bryankd2015 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:44 pm I wanted to find out if I can or not get the plantation house, the plains, and a fixed version of the pine valley.
We have Plantation House available under the "Game Builds" download section on the main TresCom.org site as part of the PCGamer build in a largely completed state. Pine Valley's most complete version is Build 96's, but there are elements of it that were changed from the version present in earlier builds that would need to be reverted (such as the shape of the mountains and road near the Geo Plant). Personally I'd re-do the entire Geo Plant puzzle from scratch in order to make it work, though. As for Plains, all we have is an early Max Scene that only vaguely hints at what the level may have looked like and doesn't contain any terrain or anything (it does however have some unfinished assets present). A lot of Plains stuff comes from conjecture as we really aren't sure what it's supposed to look like, but tatu and I have tried to map it out as best as possible to what we have right now for terrain.
Bryankd2015 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:30 am I also have another question that came up as I have been working on this. How can you get the coordinates for a particular map if you create one to match the known coordinates for a certain area such as the plains?
Not sure what you mean, but if you export a terrain as a .TPM and load it up in Max, the terrain itself will be placed at the appropriate coordinates when you open it up. You could try importing all the levels together and then adding-on to them as needed.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Tatu told me to check out the 2020 and I did. It has a program to create levels. Before you put that up I was going to create a new map for plains and use the info we already have to try to recreate it I just wanted the coordinates to match the existing levels.

Also I am not sure if I have max or not.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:44 am Tatu told me to check out the 2020 and I did. It has a program to create levels. Before you put that up I was going to create a new map for plains and use the info we already have to try to recreate it I just wanted the coordinates to match the existing levels.

Also I am not sure if I have max or not.
I think the easiest thing for you to do would be to import the terrain we made for the Isla Sorna Project and cut out the part of the island you want to use for Plains. The Isla Sorna Project's .wtd contains all of the levels merged together as well as a rough version of the rest of the island, so that would probably save you some time. :)

Unfortunately 3DS Max is not free - it's quite expensive. But I believe there is also a plug-in these days you might find on this forum that will allow you to import models to Blender as well, which is free.

And just another reminder to make sure you're editing your post when you need to add more to what you said on the same day if nobody is posting in-between your own posts instead of making new ones. I gave you another reminder on a different post but I believe I was typing that as you posted on this topic, so no big deal. :wink: I've combined your posts for you.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

As already posted on otherone, I found gmax, which I understand is free, anyway it is fully registered and working to it's full capacity, and I can use it without issues. from looking at other maps.. the zandor is one of them, I can see that the plains are supposed to be right outside of the town. That I can work with, as I have plenty of previous maps I tried to change before with little luck. I do recall some pictures or drawings of what the plains should have been, and I will still be working with those. btw- my intent was to keep seperate levels and not merge them all together, but keep the format running, as 11 levels instead of the current 8.I have a few ideas to fix the problems with the pine valley, and I am still looking for the fixed plantation house in the downloads but I still have yet to find the right one. As far as the shores goes, I am going to have it as the power plant to the bus gate to the docks. there should be surprises waiting there.. I expect to be a couple weeks before I can show anyone each of the maps.

I will post when I have each one of them done. and place a better idea on how long they will individually take. the updates merged files.. they were very well done. I congratulate everyone that worked on the files, they all did a very good job.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:42 am from looking at other maps.. the zandor is one of them, I can see that the plains are supposed to be right outside of the town.
Zandor's map is mostly accurate for the original levels, but less so nowadays as we have discovered the missing pieces that would have filled the gaps in-between. Some of the levels are differently-shaped too - JR got squished down a fair bit by retail. Plains is supposed to take place in the area between the Town and the Dam - however, in my understanding of it, you were supposed to leave the Town via the south-easternmost gate rather than the one you leave in retail (this gate does not exist in any version past Build 55), and follow a path to the shore before hopping along the cliffside and entering the Plains themselves. The Plains apparently occupied a significant chunk of the world that is not used or seen in the final game at all, and no level we know of contains anything like the original Plains terrain. My belief is that at least part of the ridge on the right (east)-side of the road leading from the Town to the Dam was not originally there, and instead that area connected to the Plains proper.

Good luck with your project. I'm intrigued to hear some of your ideas and experiments with the old puzzles go. I know some of them can be achieved using clever scripting, but a lot of the physics-based ones will require additional scripting aside from the physics as otherwise the game just can't do it without freaking out.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I went through the millenium folder.. and was setting things up, to not have to worry later. I ran across this .."For Gmax, better clear the MAXScript listener before exporting, and use GMaxSLGRAB to save the output to a .tpm file." however I can not find that script anywhere in the millenium folder.. can anyone tell me about this? gmax seems to be working good outside of this part. I was looking at some models and world stuff but if I wanted to change the .tpm then it will not currently save it so it reads it properly. Thanks for the confidence.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Good luck! As TI said, feel free to use the terrain from Isla Sorna as a base. I use 3ds Max myself, but I know Gmax is similar (as it is based on the same program). However, I may be mistaken but I only remember a TPM exporter for Gmax, and not an importer. So it may be difficult to get a terrain in there. The Gmax script should be found under our "Utilities" section in the download section. Just search for script and it should show up :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Battery is running out, but I have to say, if you're committed to this it could be cool. But it's a massive, probably years-long undertaking. So just keep that in mind, and ask us whenever you need help. Several Mystery Models have been converted into Tres-working version over the years. Drac~Test for example has the grungy desk scene in the Rex cabin scene.

PS: Those MaxScripts are in Millennium. As I recall they're in a folder which contains all the scripts.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I have been searching and cannot find the plantation house that was released. I thought I read that someone fixed the puzzles and released it. I can’t figure out what. Download it is. Can someone point it out link wise or what I need? Also I saw a file that says it was pine belly fixed but has the power plant all over the place. Still looking for that. The build level thing I have failed building a new level for plains 3 times but found a possible replacement anyway. Thanks Draco
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

To play Plantation House, you need to download Build 32:
https://www.trescom.org/download/trespa ... 2-pcgamer/
Then you need to download the retail compatibility patch:
https://www.trescom.org/download/retail ... scn-files/

I don't think anyone has released a standalone PH with bug fixes, but PH is included in PH2IT and is the starting area of that level. You can download it here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/nnkgcvbd ... t3.7z/file
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:24 am The build level thing I have failed building a new level for plains 3 times but found a possible replacement anyway. Thanks Draco
What are you building the level with? Presumably you're using ShellGen? And what is it that's "failing"? We need a bit more information so we can help you. :)

I must recommend that you start small if this is your first time trying to build a level for Trespasser from scratch. Try editing some of the retail levels first. Get the hang of importing objects with GeomAdd - perhaps you can import some of the stuff from older builds to newer ones? Otherwise you can easily get overwhelmed - starting big with Plains might lead you into unforseen problems that could easily break the level permanently and become unfixable. My first level was an edit of Beach and I remember spending years on it (due to buggy imports, incorrect scripts, and other general Tres engine nonsense) before I felt confident enough to make a completely new level from scratch!
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

this is from the debug file..

\tres_millennium\shell generator\plains\Plains.tresed" does not exist.

what is it? or what else do you need.

I am taking the other path I found and using an existing level and editing it instead. I will probably need some help with importing objects and voice over at some point. I will let you know when I get to that point.

"After having copied the Build 55 level files and TPA files into a fresh retail (or demo) install of Trespasser, and having used fixOcclusion with the Build .pid files and TPAupdate with the Build 55 .tpa files, replace the original Build 55 .grf and .scn files with the ones contained inside this archive."

What do I have to do here.. I dont understand.
Last edited by Bryankd2015 on Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.