Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: The (un)known missing levels.

Post by Draconisaurus »

I want to point out that modifying the levels of the main retail game is fraught with crash-issues and things. I do very much recommend modding at a simpler, smaller scale first, where you can learn what does and doesn't work or break the game, then afterward move to a bigger project.

* When modding retail levels, it's been found best to not delete any objects that were originally there. Causes issues.
* I personally recommend modding the demo level; it's small, not easy to get lost in, much better chance of knowing what changes caused your level to start not working right. Also a chance to learn the controls and whatnot.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I am modding a user created one now to learn about naming conventions and what can be altered. But I do want to do a couple things regarding the retail levels and older ones. Namely I want the load in to change. For example jungle road to plantation house and the in town to pine valley. When changed get same way. Exit to desktop trying to play any level on the game. Not sure why.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

In my opinion, it is clear that you really need to start working on something that is not as massive as this. You still appear to have issues with something like importing the ocean object, which isn't anything different from any other model import. If anything, it is one of the easiest thing to import.

There is a way to convert that heightmap into working terrain, but it will require you to have 3ds Max. Your Plains area seems really flat in it, which will cause massive issues with low-quality terrain texture appearance.
It is highly recommended to use many smaller terrain objects instead of scaling them up. It will make them really blurry, even as the terrain objects use 256x256 resolution textures.
Bad terrain editing rarely causes crashing during load. Nick gave a great example of the reason depending on when it crashes during loading, but you haven't given us any information on when it crash and what changes you did before. He also suggested you to run the Verification on GeomAdd. Would be helpful to get some info from there, even if it is only basic error report.
One of the biggest cause of crashes during loading (usually causes the game to freeze during loading) is trigger issues.
If your level refuse to load in TresEd anymore, without you moving any files, that is the result of corrupt level files. To my experience, this mainly happens when something causes TresEd to hang or similar during saving the level, or the hard-drive is starting to "die".

While you might not want to show off your work right now, something really helpful would be for you to share your level files and some of us experienced modders could properly look and help debug your issues, as we don't really get any information on what you are doing between a level works and stops working.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I can zip or 7zip them how can I upload the files over so they can be looked at? And I have yet to run geomadd for diagnostics on the level at all. Was planning on doing that. What has been made clear is that I need to see how things are renamed added how the terrain objects work and a few other things as well.

I am working on separate issues looking through other user levels and the beta levels to see them and I see several problems I never thought of. One of which is the edge of the map. If I understand this right you are not supposed to be at the edge of any map as it can break the level. If that is true that’s what broke it.

However I did figure out I must have had a bad download of 2020 as the other ce folders are not working properly either. Never thought to try those till now. I deleted the download and redownloaded it and seems to be working better now. Not all my problems but some are working. That levels is loads in tresed now again still not playable. Other levels are so I do think it was in part the download of 2020. Nobody’s fault but never thought of that possibility so didn’t try.

Still same question though. How can I upload the files I started on in town to create the plains file? Let me know and I will.

Here is the report I just got.. disturbing to say the least...

Welcome to GeomAdd.
Please select level and file or directory to import.

Loading level for verification...
Verifying level...
Name: "it"
SCN: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_2020\tres ce\mods\trespasser\data\it.scn"
GRF: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_2020\tres ce\mods\trespasser\data\it.grf"
PID: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_2020\tres ce\mods\trespasser\data\it-130.pid"
SWP: ""
SPZ: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_2020\tres ce\mods\trespasser\data\it-130.spz"
Verifying instances...
Verifying meshes...
Mesh TrnObj_JRTableau03-01 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_JRTableau03-02 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_JRTableau03-03 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_JRTableau04-01 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_JRTableau04-02 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_JRTableau04-04 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_PVtableau02-99 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_PVtableau12-99 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_PVtableau22-99 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_PVtableau32-99 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_Ingentown13-20 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_Ingentown23-20 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_Ingentown33-20 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_Ingentown43-20 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_Ingentown53-20 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_Ingentown63-20 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_Ingentown73-20 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_Ingentown83-20 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_Ingentown93-20 is not used
Mesh TrnObj_Street0-01 is not used
Mesh TrnObjE_SandPtch01-01 is not used
Verifying values...
WARNING: Missing instance "Pplastichairleg2-00", used in "MPlstcChair02-00", value SlaveObject
WARNING: Missing instance "Pplastichairleg1-00", used in "MPlstcChair01-00", value SlaveObject
WARNING: Unknown value 'Pathfinding' found in "$AnneBody".
WARNING: Unknown value 'curved' found in "TRocL_18InchDia-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'curved' found in "TRocB_16InchDia-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'ActDying' found in "RaptorB105-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'Subdivision' found in "Trig_ITStart_Sky-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'Movable' found in "RaptorA".
WARNING: Unknown value 'Wander' found in "Para".
WARNING: Unknown value 'Wander' found in "Para_A01-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'TerrainPathFinding' found in "Para_A01-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'TerrainPathFinding' found in "TRexX01-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'TerrainPathFinding' found in "TRex_f_A01-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'BoundBol' found in "Trig_Level_TS-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'BoundBol' found in "Trig_Level_IT-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'Breakstrength' found in "MPlstcChair02-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'Breakstrength' found in "MPlstcChair01-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'curved' found in "PBasketBall00-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'Movable' found in "RaptorA101-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'ActDying' found in "RaptorB019-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'RestoringForce' found in "MFloodgateDoor-00".
Verifying PID...
Used 3.4MB of 6.3MB available primary texture space
Used 35 of 98 available palettes
Finished verification.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Some basic modding notes: Check your level ingame frequently, so that you can remember what all was changed since the last working version. Ontop of that, make a backup of your level often, and keep the backups in case your new error goes back to an old version.

For your error report. Everything from "WARNING: Unknown value 'Pathfinding' found in "$AnneBody"." and lower, are reports of 'issues' that the released version of the game had. You can ignore them. Possibly this is true of the two lines about the chair above it, I'm not sure.
Your other errors might come from how you've described making copies of things. In the cases such as what I see here, you are not supposed to use the Copy Object option. The bit about adding things before the "-##" at the end. So just don't do that part. When making more of an object, just clone them instead. Use CTRL+C to do this.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I put that town level in a separate folder and put the original town level back in everything is working. Dropping the plains level for now. I got the ph and PcP levels but would like to know how to get an exit out of ph cause I can’t find one there at all get stuck in level till quit I like to move on from the ph to the ij

below is attachment if works for the level files having problem with
IT - town level edited for plains. not working.7z
(6.54 MiB) Downloaded 47 times
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Everything in Tres is capitalized, Byran. That includes values; curve is 'Curve', Breakstrength is 'BreathStrength'. Movable is actually a typo by Tres Devs, the correct value is Moveable. As
far the magnet errors, you are missing the models attached to the magnet itself.

@Edit: Are you importing 3ds files? If so, you need to select the option 'Create Instance" before importing, otherwise all you will get is a ghost object. That's where your 'not used' errors
are coming from.

@Edit2: D'oh! Nevermind the later about 3ds files, latter versions of GeomAdd does that automatically. But, they still are ghost objects as the only way I could find them is with search
and they're invisible when they shouldn't be.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

The 7zip file I attached above is the files in question and if you can download those you might find the problems yourself. I am not working on this any longer till I get a better understanding of tresed and editing than I have now.

Right now and doing the resizing of objects, importing and exporting objects and other things in game. Leaving terrain as is until I get the controls and other stuff down first.

As far as the files above have fun with them if you want. In the current state they will not run but will load in tresed as far as I know.

As stated would like either a download of a ph level with an exit or told how to create one. Want to eventually replace Anne with the retail one and work on it. And yes I have a bunch of sound working in it presently.
Last edited by Bryankd2015 on Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:17 pm The 7zip file I attached above is the files in question and if you can download those you might find the problems yourself. I am not working on this any longer till I get a better understanding of tresed and editing than I have now.
I edited my above post. I downloaded the 7z. If you fix the magnet issue with the chairs the level would likely load, but yah, learning takes a bit of time. Might I suggest trying to build a small level to start?
Generally speaking, editing a retail or any completed level is not such an easy task especially when you're not the individual who put it together. You can't find anything, you don't know what trigger is attached
to what, it isn't an easy thing to do.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Rebel wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:23 pm
Bryankd2015 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:17 pm The 7zip file I attached above is the files in question and if you can download those you might find the problems yourself. I am not working on this any longer till I get a better understanding of tresed and editing than I have now.
I edited my above post. I downloaded the 7z. If you fix the magnet issue with the chairs the level would likely load, but yah, learning takes a bit of time. Might I suggest trying to build a small level to start?
Generally speaking, editing a retail or any completed level is not such an easy task especially when you're not the individual who put it together. You can't find anything, you don't know what trigger is attached
to what, it isn't an easy thing to do.
I had a lot of trouble making a new one with the millennium files. It just gave me a black screen with a triangle in it nothing more. Don’t know what to do from that.

this is a new level from the shell generator in millenium.. the report follows...

Welcome to GeomAdd.

Verifying level...
Name: "plains"
SCN: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_millennium\shell generator\plains.scn"
GRF: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_millennium\shell generator\plains.grf"
PID: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_millennium\shell generator\plains-130.pid"
SWP: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_millennium\shell generator\plains-130.swp"
SPZ: ""
Verifying instances...
Verifying meshes...
Verifying values...
ERROR: No class CSky found
ERROR: No class TerrainPlacement found
ERROR: No class Player found
Verifying PID...
Used 0.0MB of 6.3MB available primary texture space
Used 1 of 98 available palettes
Verifying SWP and SPZ...
Finished verification.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Bryankd2015 wrote:
I had a lot of trouble making a new one with the millennium files. It just gave me a black screen with a triangle in it nothing more. Don’t know what to do from that.

this is a new level from the shell generator in millenium.. the report follows...

Welcome to GeomAdd.

Verifying level...
Name: "plains"
SCN: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_millennium\shell generator\plains.scn"
GRF: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_millennium\shell generator\plains.grf"
PID: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_millennium\shell generator\plains-130.pid"
SWP: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_millennium\shell generator\plains-130.swp"
Verifying instances...
Verifying meshes...
Verifying values...
ERROR: No class CSky found
ERROR: No class Player found
Verifying PID...
Used 0.0MB of 6.3MB available primary texture space
Used 1 of 98 available palettes
Verifying SWP and SPZ...
Finished verification.
Ok, what you do afterwards is you drop the trn_placement.values txt file into the 'import models' folder. Then, with GeomAdd you choose your level, then hit the button 'import directory'
find the folder import models' inside of the shell_generator's folder and select the 1st tpm model file. Click OK. That'll import the bare minimum models needed to load the level
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Ok I am going to start over with a new level called puzzle beach using the beach for the terrain if I can. Not edit but just using same terrain on a new level. So how do I put the beach terrain for new level that way?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:17 pm Ok I am going to start over with a new level called puzzle beach using the beach for the terrain if I can. Not edit but just using same terrain on a new level. So how do I put the beach terrain for new level that way?
Simply rename the beach wtd file to 'puzzled beach' thereby replacing the original wtd file generated by Shell_Gen.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Ok I am going to work on it next post from me will be test on that one if doesn’t work.

this is the new one.

Welcome to GeomAdd.

Verifying level...
Name: "puzzle beach"
SCN: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_millennium\shell generator\puzzle beach\puzzle beach.scn"
GRF: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_millennium\shell generator\puzzle beach\puzzle beach.grf"
PID: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_millennium\shell generator\puzzle beach\puzzle beach-130.pid"
SWP: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_millennium\shell generator\puzzle beach\puzzle beach-130.swp"
Verifying instances...
Verifying meshes...
Verifying values...
Verifying PID...
Used 0.3MB of 10.1MB available primary texture space
Used 4 of 98 available palettes
Verifying SWP and SPZ...
Finished verification.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:34 pm Ok I am going to work on it next post from me will be test on that one if doesn’t work.

this is the new one.

Welcome to GeomAdd.

Verifying level...
Name: "puzzle beach"
SCN: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_millennium\shell generator\puzzle beach\puzzle beach.scn"
GRF: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_millennium\shell generator\puzzle beach\puzzle beach.grf"
PID: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_millennium\shell generator\puzzle beach\puzzle beach-130.pid"
SWP: "c:\users\bryan\desktop\trespasser files\new downloads\tres_millennium\shell generator\puzzle beach\puzzle beach-130.swp"
Verifying instances...
Verifying meshes...
Verifying values...
Verifying PID...
Used 0.3MB of 10.1MB available primary texture space
Used 4 of 98 available palettes
Verifying SWP and SPZ...
Finished verification.
You are looking for what is below;

group TrnPlacement-00 = {
int ext_GeometryType = 2
string Class = "TerrainPlacement"
bool MipMap = false
string File = "puzzle beach"
}

It's a cube, turn on the 'C' objects. The string file name has to match the name of your level as shown above. If for some reason you
haven't import this object simply export one from another level and change the string File = "something" to string File = "puzzle beach"