Hello

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Hello

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I havent been on here since 2018. Can someone let me know what I need to update to create new levels? Please.. Also I am having a issue playing the game, even fresh install from the cd.. the video options makes the screen go staticy and turns red, like looking at 2 seperate windows that you cant read.. any idea how to fix it?
Attachments
Screenshot (223).png
Screenshot (223).png (303.13 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Re: Hello

Post by Rebel »

Welcome back. Go to the main site (www.trescom.org) and download trespasser ce. That is the newest revamp of the engine and all the issues you mentioned don't exist with CE. As far as creating new
levels you would definitely need TresEd, GeomAdd among other things. My tool for creating a level from scratch is called Shell Level Creator, you can download that on the main site as well. There's also
a package that Draco created that you can use as well, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name of it at the moment. Good Luck, and have fun.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

So far not working keeps asking for the cd in the hard drive not sure why. I am going to try the other way.. the atx system.. if I can find it.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I can not get either to work.. have deleted everything and reinstalled from the cd and I get the same results. I am out of things I can try at the moment
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Welcome back! I did get your email, but I haven't had time to reply to it. Glad you decided to post on the forum!

These days I recommend Trespasser 2020: https://www.trescom.org/download/trespa ... arter-kit/ . While the name may suggest it is a package for modders, it is a package that comes with both the CE and ATX patch, along with some fan levels already setup. Download this and read the readme on how to port the retail levels over to CE, and you'll have a portable version of Trespasser.

As for modding. The main tools are TresEd, GeomAdd and Shell Generator (create empty level files). SWPz is also recommended so you can convert the retail SPZ files into SWP files so you can open those in TresEd and modify them if you want (make sure to move or delete the SPZ files after converting them to SWPz, just drag the SPZ onto the SWPz window). :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Thank you very much. that is working fairly well. The problem I had onthat one was once I died on a level was quick I assure you. when tried to reload.. was in same place, new game, same place..
tatu

Post by tatu »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:58 am Thank you very much. that is working fairly well. The problem I had onthat one was once I died on a level was quick I assure you. when tried to reload.. was in same place, new game, same place..
That is an engine bug. Restarting the game fixes it. Does this still happen with the CE patch for you?

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:33 am So far not working keeps asking for the cd in the hard drive not sure why. I am going to try the other way.. the atx system.. if I can find it.
I don't recommend ATX, it suffers from the same graphical issues as the base game. It's also harder to install than CE.

Also, instead of a hard drive install, you can just download the demo and copy the data folder from the CD to the demo's data folder.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

That is an engine bug. Restarting the game fixes it. Does this still happen with the CE patch for you?

So far the ce is working. Might be the newer version that fixed it. Working on putting the old levels I got back in to the mods folder now.

The one Tatu suggested is working well. The atx well it is not working as well as CE does at this point. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of about 100 fan missions and versions I was working on to put back in. It willl take a minute.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Bryankd2015 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:51 pmSo far the CE is working. Might be the newer version that fixed it. Working on putting the old levels I got back in to the mods folder now.
I think you might have just been running the wrong EXE, CE doesn't replace the base game EXE, it just adds a new one named tpassp6.exe by default. CE upgrades the 3D rendering engine from DirectX6 to DirectX9 which fixes some graphical glitches like magenta/green/red shadows to text, messed up screen resolutions, and the double purple screen bug you experienced.
Last edited by Nick3069 on Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Bryankd2015 - wanted to let you know that I merged your posts that were from the same day. Just a friendly reminder that if you're posting two times in a row on the same day with nobody else posting in-between, make sure you use the "Edit Post" button in the top-right of your message instead of posting a new one. :)

Small suggestion, not sure if this will work: try disabling "Full-Screen Optimization" under the .exe files's properties if you're on Windows. My guess is that you're having trouble with ATX as it uses an older version of DirectX, whereas CE has the ability to use DirectX 9 instead which is a lot more up-to-date.

I will tell you that most ATX mods can safely be run in CE, though a couple might have some minor missing features. Some that immediately come to mind are JPDS (which uses the old map system for one particular item) and East Dock (which uses the ATX-scripted spitting dilophosaurus as well as the rain particle effect, neither of which are implemented in CE), but the levels will work fine either way if you don't mind missing those features. Some might also require additional set-up to ensure the mod loads additional .TPA (audio) files properly. :wink:
JPDS~Plains also has a problem with the physics in the "Amber Mine" section that might require you to cheat to bypass certain obstacles as ATX's physics are slightly altered from the original and CE's.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Thanks, I actually forgot about the edit post button.. I will remember that. and the ce version in the 2020 one that tatu suggested is working just fine, I have added a few other mods and it seems to be holding great. I have nearly 5 terrabytes worth of files to go through.. it will take some time. I did find a good copy of gmax, and I now have that installed as well.
tatu

Post by tatu »

The purple bug that happens after you enter the video menu on vanilla and ATX can be fixed by placing a ddraw.dll from I forgot where in the main folder. :)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey Bryankd. Glad you got the game working. ATX does have some good stuff; these days I only recommend it for mods that need it, most often they are already stand-alone engines like JPDS and The Lagoon.

As far as double-posting goes. I know that's a long-standing thing here, but I am opposed to the standard. We don't have the issue of people making lots of posts, cluttering the forum, as once might have been a problem. And it is way too easy for an edit to a new post to be missed, never being read. So I am for allowing double-posting.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

tatu wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:33 pm The purple bug that happens after you enter the video menu on vanilla and ATX can be fixed by placing a ddraw.dll from I forgot where in the main folder. :)
Maybe DDrawCompat on GitHub?
https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases