Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Trespasser CE and NVIDIA RTX Remix

Post by Double_G »

I haven't seen this mentioned here yet but i look forward to playing around with RTX Remix once it's made available for download. Just slapping raytracing on Tres CE should be pretty cool and given the supposed ease of swapping in-game assets for high def ones, texture upscaling and other things that this tool will enable, i really hope that it's going to work with Trespasser and not be majorly hindered by the limitations of the engine or the way the assets were authored by the devs. Could be fun :)

MikeTheRaptor
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: Trespasser CE and NVIDIA RTX Remix

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Yeah! I brought this up on the Discord a few times. Looks promising and I’m excited to see how it works with Tres!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Very interesting. That Morrowind re-render blows me away, I'd love to be able to check that out if it ever gets fully done. Perhaps one day we will get a proper graphical overhaul of Trespasser after all...no idea whether this software would be able to work with the somewhat funky Trespasser format, but hopefully it can. Tres with proper ground rendering and lighting alone would look incredible, considering that despite its age it was still so ahead of its time visually.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

The potential for this set of tools is very exciting. It is designed for DX8 and DX9 games, so it should work with Tres CE. Being able to have multiple light sources in the game would really open up a lot of possibilities and make the game look so much better. Horror mods, anyone?
tatu

Post by tatu »

Nick3069 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:48 am The potential for this set of tools is very exciting. It is designed for DX8 and DX9 games, so it should work with Tres CE. Being able to have multiple light sources in the game would really open up a lot of possibilities and make the game look so much better. Horror mods, anyone?
Will it be able to implement light sources in a game that doesn't even have it in the code? :O
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

tatu wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:05 pm Will it be able to implement light sources in a game that doesn't even have it in the code? :O
Yup.

From what I understand watching the video, it works by passing through everything the graphics card renders into its own proprietary engine. This way, it could expand upon the functionality of the original game engines by replacing models with higher resolution ones in real time, adding lighting effects, etc.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Only problem with this is that it sort of puts us "old-school" modders out of a job. Gone will be the days of low-poly models. I'd still be happy to just get low-poly models with better lighting and shading.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

TheIdiot wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:26 amOnly problem with this is that it sort of puts us "old-school" modders out of a job.
Don't you mean extinct?
tatu

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:26 am Only problem with this is that it sort of puts us "old-school" modders out of a job. Gone will be the days of low-poly models. I'd still be happy to just get low-poly models with better lighting and shading.
Nah, there will always be us who will rather mod older games. And I think this will still be quite resource heavy, and not everyone will have a card that does this for years.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

Modders could still use their current tools to make new maps, but now they can also add this new tool to complement their work. Imagine playing through TresCom Anthology with raytracing and updated assets :) I've tried making custom maps myself but i couldn't troubleshoot my way out of some issues, or maybe it too much to take in at once, so i took a break. Maybe this will motivate me to try my hand at Tres modding one more time. I had some ideas that i would like to bring to life
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Hilwo wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:42 am
TheIdiot wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:26 amOnly problem with this is that it sort of puts us "old-school" modders out of a job.
Don't you mean extinct?
Was waiting for that one... :P
Nah, there will always be us who will rather mod older games. And I think this will still be quite resource heavy, and not everyone will have a card that does this for years.
Well, yes, of course we'll still be modding Trespasser. But suddenly there will be a whole new front for making a Trespasser level look more real than ever which I don't think will be ignored, especially if it ever catches on. Suddenly us older hobbyists will need to find new ways to keep up with the new techniques, which certainly isn't easy to adjust to, and a lot to learn (parallax mapping, super-hi-res textures, physically-based materials, etc). Perhaps a new generation of Trespassers will come along with the modern skill to give Trespasser the same kind of overhaul the video showed with Morrowind. But I doubt I'll be one of them - it takes long enough for me to do a low-detail Tres-style model (even if my models are a bit more detailed than the classic Tres stuff), and even longer to put those assets to use in a detailed level like Cloning Facility (which despite being highly detailed for a Trespasser level isn't even remotely detailed compared to a modern game scene) - I can't imagine how much time and work it would take to do this new stuff by comparison. And honestly I don't have the time or want to learn it anymore. :?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

One of the reasons I enjoy working with Trespasser, is that it is made with lower detail assets, not complicated scripting / coding, just in general the emphasis can go more on level design and not screaming graphics. So I'll pass on this.
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by codemuk3y »

TheIdiot wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:17 am
Well, yes, of course we'll still be modding Trespasser. But suddenly there will be a whole new front for making a Trespasser level look more real than ever which I don't think will be ignored, especially if it ever catches on. Suddenly us older hobbyists will need to find new ways to keep up with the new techniques, which certainly isn't easy to adjust to, and a lot to learn (parallax mapping, super-hi-res textures, physically-based materials, etc). Perhaps a new generation of Trespassers will come along with the modern skill to give Trespasser the same kind of overhaul the video showed with Morrowind. But I doubt I'll be one of them - it takes long enough for me to do a low-detail Tres-style model (even if my models are a bit more detailed than the classic Tres stuff), and even longer to put those assets to use in a detailed level like Cloning Facility (which despite being highly detailed for a Trespasser level isn't even remotely detailed compared to a modern game scene) - I can't imagine how much time and work it would take to do this new stuff by comparison. And honestly I don't have the time or want to learn it anymore. :?
I think the old style still has appeal and people will still be making mods and making models for it. I just hope with the different projects, it just becomes more stable so that bigger maps, more AI and all the other things are possible.

I'm heavily invested in learning how to make new models and resources, as I'm trying to get my work to build some computer systems for training and I want to make them as realistic as possible. Lots of it is proceedural and therefore quick to make. You can make some textures that will apply to a number of different objects and it just works on them.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

RTX Remix could simply add more modern lighting with no other changes, and that would still be kinda cool. Can also be used with existing mods to get a different experience.

But completely agree - one of the perks of working with Trespasser is that it’s welcoming to beginners who can make low-poly models and simple textures.

I still like the idea of having more options for others though who decide to take it a step further, kind of like how CE added support for normal maps, specular maps, and script extensions. And I’m not sure anyone has used specular maps or the made custom script extensions in CE yet besides Lee.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

codemuk3y wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:02 am I think the old style still has appeal and people will still be making mods and making models for it. I just hope with the different projects, it just becomes more stable so that bigger maps, more AI and all the other things are possible.
Doesn't seem as if this does anything to take the AI and level limits away, though. This software only replaces the renderer - the engine limitations would still be present from what it seems.
MikeTheRaptor wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:14 am I still like the idea of having more options for others though who decide to take it a step further, kind of like how CE added support for normal maps, specular maps, and script extensions. And I’m not sure anyone has used specular maps or the made custom script extensions in CE yet besides Lee.
I've used both (specular maps are just part of the normal map process), though Lee made the scripts for me. The scripting is difficult though because nobody really seems to know the language. Would be nice if someone could work it out and get some new scripts going since that potential is completely untapped so far.