Animated Trespasser VR game concept

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

OhlsonAnimation
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Animated Trespasser VR game concept

Post by OhlsonAnimation »

Hello! I work as an animator in the visual effects and game industry. I have animated on everything from movies to games. I animated a lot of cutscenes in Horizon: Forbidden west for example.

I made a fun little proof of concept video of Trespasser as I am slowly working on a VR version -or experience -of the game.

https://youtu.be/R8luSYPpB-0

I have completely re-modeled and re-textured the models based of photoscans in their T-pose in game. Dinosaurs are modeled down to the exact triangle to have the same deformations in their movements.

https://youtu.be/RlqhUBs-Kjg

I would love to know if there is a way to get levels and assets exported as .fbx or .obj? I work professionally in Autodesk Maya, and for the stuff I have already made, I have rigged and animated in there. It is my software of choice because it is industry standard in my field and I know it very well. Atm I keep on photoscanning, re-modelling, UV mapping, rigging etc, but I could save a lot of time if I could use the original assets. I hope someone might want to help me out here.

Much love to all of you!
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Animated Trespasser VR game concept

Post by Nick3069 »

OhlsonAnimation wrote:
:o Woah! That's cool!

You can absolutely export assets from the game. The tool we use is TresEd which can export in .3DS or .TPM formats. 3DS is a less than ideal format but it's been around for a long time and most programs can open it, but there can be a loss of information. TPM on the other hand is a text-based format which shares a lot of similarities with OBJ, sadly there is no import script for Maya, but there are import scripts for 3DS Max and Blender.

You can download TresEd and the import scripts here:
https://www.trescom.org/download-category/tools/

You can learn about Trespasser's file formats here:
https://www.trescom.org/articles/trespa ... e-formats/

Note: .spz files need to be converted into .swp files before TresEd can open the level. Trespasser converts them itself when it loads a level, but gets deleted when a different level is loaded. The SWPz tool can also be used.
Last edited by Nick3069 on Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by codemuk3y »

Nice animations mate

Are you going for original models and styling with VR for controls?
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
OhlsonAnimation
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Thank you so much! I believe I tried to use the tools before with not much luck and that's why I decided on a photoscanning and re-modeling method... Maybe I should give it another go and export the .fbx from blender once I've gotten them in there...

For my simple version of the game I'm trying to make it look as much as the original as possible. The game is what I fell in love with as a kid and it has meant a lot to me through the years. So I want to stay true to the look of it as much as I can.

I hope I can figure out how to use the tools. Thank you fellow trespasser fans for keeping this game alive :)
Melber
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Melber »

That's absolutely great. To have an AI movement like that in the game will makes me much more happy and scared. :o
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Man, I can't stop watching that video. It's so surreal to see the Trespasser dinosaurs moving like that.

It's funny how the T. Rex sneaks up on the player and raptor just like at the end of Jurassic Park. :lol:

It would slightly better if the T. Rex was the female instead of the male to match the screenshot on the back of the box though.
OhlsonAnimation
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Haha true!, tbf I didn't even think of that particular image when I animated this. One thing that really annoys me is that I mistook the height of the T-rex and made it 6 m tall at the hips rather than 4.5.... Since I photoscanned it and re-modeled it myself I couldn't compare it to the actual model... I've corrected the error now so it is smaller and matches its size in the game.

I've managed to work in tresed and have started exporting assets as fbx files now so I can work with them in Maya. One problem I have is that some objects, and dinosaurs in particular, give me an error while trying to import the ptm file in Blender and shows up empty with no content. I will need to investigate further, but maybe there's an export setting I am missing that is important?

Whenever I have something new to show I will of course try and remember to post here. I work full time in the vfx industry -and apart from this project I have hundreds of other ideas in my head. First place I am always uploading stuff is my instagram though, so if you guys wanna follow my work on this Trespasser VR project you can follow me there. @ohlsonanimation

Love you all!
OhlsonAnimation
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

I managed to get the dinosaurs out now. It is fine :) What I am struggling with now however is getting the basic ground textures out... I want to make the ground in my game have the same textures as the original game.
Of course I could just screen shot segments of the ground and make them into repeating textures in photoshop. If they can be exported would be awesome though.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

For ground textures, you need to click the terrain texture object button that looks like a green mountain. It will make the terrain disappear and reveal the terrain texture objects which can then be exported.
OhlsonAnimation
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

thank you so much!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

That Dino animation looks pretty nice. Jumping Raptors is one of those DWI dreams that didn't come to pass.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

This is really neat. This is even more impressive as you ended up remaking the dinosaurs yourself. :D
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

This is so good! Imagine if the dinos moved like that during gameplay
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Those models look really odd moving in a modern CGI fashion after all these years! Cool concept nonetheless. :D
spinaxoraptor
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by spinaxoraptor »

Outstanding animations!!!