Trespasser Arena - (new release 16 December 2021)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

MikeTheRaptor
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Trespasser Arena - (new release 16 December 2021)

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Update 16 December 2021
Complete version now released featuring:
- polished tpassintro.smk
- added credits.smk
- new menu design
- removed spina arena & hub
- raptor arena is now a shippable scn
Download link: https://www.trescom.org/download/trespasser-arena/

Original post starts below

Hello everyone.

I've finally made my first couple of levels for Trespasser. Both levels are in a mod I created called "Trespasser Arena" which you can download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18HtlKs ... sp=sharing (outdated, see update below)

Trespasser Arena features two small levels:
TArena~R
TArena~hub

In TArena~R, you'll fight against some dinosaurs in a themed arena environment.
In TArena~hub, you'll find yourself in a strange gateway world that links you to TArena~R and perhaps elsewhere one day.

I used this mod to experiment with some ideas I've had for a really long time and finally been able to implement. Everything listed below is included:
- end game cutscene rendered in Blender in 1080p that plays when you beat TArena~R
- simulated reflection in TArena~hub achieved using transparent textures and duplicated and inverted objects
- textures baked in Blender that preserve data from a high poly mesh and transfer it to a low poly mesh, such as shadows and ambient occlusion.

Hope you find them interesting.

If you haven't already, feel free to stop by the TresCom Discord where I am the most active these days :)
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: Trespasser Arena - new mod, ready to play

Post by TrespasserGuy »

This.. this might be the pinnacle of Trespasser modding. I’ve already said how cool this level is on Discord but seriously. That hub area looks like it was made in the Source engine :lol:
Also, I love the use of JP1 music. I feel like that soundtrack doesn’t get used too much in Tres mods
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Damn, I really have to finish working on The Fort (which was meant to be an arena-type level).

Going to try this one tomorrow...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

This is pretty cool! I quite like the hub area in particular, the reflected floor trick reminds me very much of some Doom WADs I've played in the past and always looks awesome. I was wondering whether anyone would ever think to do that in Tres, actually! The HD textures really shine here as well, really shows what CE can pull off.
The actual arena area is neat too, feels very Jurassic Park-ish in a sort of "expanded universe" way. The tall fences in particular remind of of the JP ride. Took me forever to actually kill the lone JP1 Raptor though, for whatever reason that dagger just wouldn't do it where it worked easily against the other two Raptors. The cutscene is also neat, though I do find that the old Trespasser video format really damages the quality of the video. And I like the use of that unused shed chase music, it's very fitting of an arena battle!
I am interested to see where this concept goes - it looks like you're planning on doing a few different arenas, it would be quite interesting if somehow you were able to link them all together and make it so that winning all three levels enables a victory in the hub level...I wonder if CE's scripting function allows something like that, since I know there's a way to make it so that levels transfer at least some of their information over to the next one loaded.
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

TrespasserGuy

Thanks :) Yes, it's a very different look for Trespasser. Glad you enjoyed it!

machf

Awesome. One thing I like about arena-type levels is that lots of cool things can be concentrated into a small area. Also btw, all of the weapons I used in TArena came from The Armory. Ty for putting that together! I gave you credit in the readme.

TheIdiot

Ty for the feedback, TI. Glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, the reflections are an old game-dev trick :)

I think it's cool that you tried a knife only run of TArena~R which I was actually hoping for! I was only able to kill one raptor with the knife during testing. I'm also glad to hear I was able to achieve a Jurassic Park-ish feel with TArena~R - the goal was to make something that felt like Jurassic Park without having to constrain myself too much with trying to exactly replicate locations from the film.

Regarding the cutscene, it's true that there was some loss of quality during the conversion from the original 1080p render, but overall still an improvement over the retail cutscenes. I reached out to the OpenTrespasser team to see if formats other than smk can be implemented into their version of the engine in the future.

And yes, I'm glad the unused shed chase music fit the level. I edited it a bit to add more action cues from two other Jurassic Park tracks as well.

Finally, regarding carrying data across levels to trigger something in the hub - I know it's possible with Tres CE as you mentioned to carry some data over, but I just haven't really dived deep into the Squirrel scripting language/CE's scripting documentation yet to try and figure out how that might work. I agree, that would be a cool mechanic.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Hey, Mike. Downloaded. I would like to check it out today, but have too much of a pounding headache. But I will, and
nice to see you around too. ;)
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Thanks, Rebel :) Nice hearing from you as well. Hope you enjoy the levels and feel better soon!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Played it a while ago. Phew, managed to finish it, though I had no bullets left, I think the last one tripped with something and that did it (it was already wounded but needed another shot).

Looks nice. Can't help but wonder if those covered altars or whatever were meant to get uncovered after you returned there from successfully finishing a level and then the next one became available or something like that...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

machf wrote:Phew, managed to finish it, though I had no bullets left, I think the last one tripped with something and that did it (it was already wounded but needed another shot).
Lucky :D I run out of ammo too during some of my playthroughs. The raptors are quick and aggressive and will often knock my gun out of the way or move in an unexpected direction and cause me to waste a shot. They do trip or get stuck on the rocks occasionally, but I haven't had one die from that yet!
machf wrote:Can't help but wonder if those covered altars or whatever were meant to get uncovered after you returned there from successfully finishing a level and then the next one became available or something like that...
Something like that :) My plan was always for three arenas. I have some very specific things in mind for each. As far as how it'll all tie together though, I haven't decided yet. The hub was a spontaneous addition that kind of links everything together, so it'll be interesting to figure out.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I think it's cool that you tried a knife only run of TArena~R which I was actually hoping for!
I...didn't see any guns, actually. I kind of assumed that you needed to use the knife. In any case, at least now you know it can definitely be done!
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

The guns are there, but they are intentionally hidden just out view. :D
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Did you just say "gunS", as in, more than one? I must have been really lucky...
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

TheIdiot wrote:
I think it's cool that you tried a knife only run of TArena~R which I was actually hoping for!
I...didn't see any guns, actually. I kind of assumed that you needed to use the knife. In any case, at least now you know it can definitely be done!
machf wrote:Did you just say "gunS", as in, more than one? I must have been really lucky...
Yeah there's a Smith & Wesson on top of the rock in the middle of the arena. You have to climb the palm tree in order to reach it though. I gotta say, I've managed to kill all three raptors with just the SPAS before :rambo:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I was going to try that (climbing the palm tree), luckily as I said, the last remaining raptor died before I did...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I got a kick out of the reflection routine, quite clever. I played just a little (short on time as of late) so about all I
can say so far is that I like the concept.