Error when converting files to TPM

FAQ and tutorials on how to mod Trespasser. For viewing only.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Error when converting files to TPM

Post by Tormer »

Hey there! i am using Blender 2.6 to export a dinosaur as TPM. When i was exporting it, i got this error:
Any way to fix this??? :(
" Somewhere on this island is the greatest predator there ever lived. The second greatest predator must take him down..."
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Error when converting files to TPM

Post by tatu »

Sadly I have no experience with Blender. Does this happen to other meshes exported to TPM?

Maybe machf could see what is wrong based on the information, even though the script was written by someone else.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

I managed to convert the JPOG Gallimimus to TPM format! But now my problem is that, when i open the gallimimus in TPDC, it is so huge that i have to use the zoom out to see the whole shape. Reduced its size in Blender and re-exported it as TPM but nothing changed. Gallimimus is still so big in TPDC. How can i reduce its size and make it ideal for Trespasser gaming?
" Somewhere on this island is the greatest predator there ever lived. The second greatest predator must take him down..."
tatu

Post by tatu »

I don't think the size will matter in TPDC. In TresEd you can just scale down the base model and it will be fine. :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Now that Dragonlord is around (I saw him post on another topic here), ask him about the Blender plugin, I thin he was the one who wrote it.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

I contacted him through ModDb and he told me to try a Scaling option in a Trespasser sub-panel. But I tried this and didn't work. The size stayed big. So, i opened the gallimimus OBJ file in a newer Blender 2.82 and re-scaled it to a lower size. Then, i saved it and re-opened it in Blender 2.6 which has the TPM exporter installed. So, i saved gallimimus from there as TPM. And now has a proper size. The new problem that i have is that the dino uv map and texture display OK in TPDC and Blender 2.6. But, when i imported it to TresEd, it shows the gallimimus with a change on its texture. Seems that, when i save the gallimimus as TPM from Blender 2.6, this causes an alteration in the UV map of the dinosaur.

Gallimimus in TPDC:

Gallimimus in TresEd or in-game:

Does it happen with Gmax too?
tatu

Post by tatu »

This happens in 3ds Max too. And it sometimes happen with fan-made models that look fine in a level the first time it is imported but then gets exported.

Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

TresEd is the problem. Each time that i import the gallimimus.TPM in TresEd, its texture gets distorted. I didn't write values.txt for the galli because i want to make sure that it looks fine in-game (hope this isn't causing the skin issue). Also, there is a white empty square in right top instead of showing numbers. How can i make this tool work properly?
tatu

Post by tatu »

Then the model very likely have some issues with the UV mapping.

Are you running on an Intel graphic card? Either an integrated one (Laptop) or lower-end PC? I know those causes TresEd not to show the location, at least back in the day.

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

That has to do with OpenGL drivers...

EDIT: I'm attaching a .dll I use, place it in the same folder as TresEd. The .ini file has my personal settings, too. Hopefully this works for you. Can't remember where I found it originally.
Attachments
opengl32.zip
(37.82 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

Thanks, Machf. I tried your files but the error is still there. The Galli has a 24bits RGB texture, it is ok? or it should be 8 bits?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Tormer wrote:Thanks, Machf. I tried your files but the error is still there. The Galli has a 24bits RGB texture, it is ok? or it should be 8 bits?
Never use RGB textures on anything unless you need it to be transparent (glass, water, fire, fog, smoke, etc.). What you're seeing is the texture being displaced 8 pixels as I mentioned somewhere else due to the errors GeomAdd has at the time of importing RGB textures.

And the fix is meant for things in TresEd like the numbers not showing up and black borders at the edges of textures...
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

OK! so, what program should i use to save the dinosaur textures for Trespasser?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Any one that lets you specify a palette for it... either an old version (4.x) of Paint Shop Pro, or Wally (which was recently re-uploaded here, I think). Try palettes in use by the other elements in your level (starting with the terrain textures), or if you want a new one, follow the tutorial I wrote a long time ago...

https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=4534
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

Excellent tutorial, Thanks! i still use Paint Shop Pro to make mods for Carnivores games (specially to make new menu designs). So, i made a 8 bit texture for the gallimimus and now it looks properly in the game. But, in TresEd the gallimimus texture looks different (it doesn't have body details like the eyes). I wonder why it happens with TresEd:

TresEd view of gallimimus:

View of Gallimimus in the game:

Also, just curious, but the shade in gallimimus body looks rare too: