How to put new textures in a terrain with TresEd?

FAQ and tutorials on how to mod Trespasser. For viewing only.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

How to put new textures in a terrain with TresEd?

Post by Tormer »

Greetings!
I got TresEd and tried it. Just opened some maps of the original game to try its tools. I learnt to make mountains or smooth areas but i don't know how to import a new-custom texture and place it in the terrain. I can't figure out which option allows me to do that in TresEd.
" Somewhere on this island is the greatest predator there ever lived. The second greatest predator must take him down..."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: How to put new textures in a terrain with TresEd?

Post by machf »

Hi, Tormer. I had sent you a PM on TCS.
In TresEd, click on Terrain->View terrain objects. They're objects like others in the game. You have to import them and place them over the part of the terrain where you want to apply them.
And any objects are imported into Trespassser levels with another tool called GeomAdd, which complements TresEd.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Welcome, Tormer. I have no doubt that machf has steered you in the correct direction. Have fun. ;)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Welcome to the forum! :)
machf already put it perfectly. One more thing - be careful if you intend on editing or creating your own new terrain textures. You must make sure any new textures you import use the same 256-colour palette as the other textures in your level or they will look messed up, which also means that they have to be saved in the 256-colour .bmp format.
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

Thanks for the info, guys!
I'm sorry machf, i forgot to check your message. So, textures in TresEd are considered as objects? i'm a bit confused.
" Somewhere on this island is the greatest predator there ever lived. The second greatest predator must take him down..."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TERRAIN textures are placed using objects. You can't just apply a texture on the terrain itself. That's why when you leave the playable area in TresEd you'll start noticing blank terrain around. In-game it renders as weird-looking textures.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

That's nice!
Also, i'm curious about how do you place transitive textures? i mean the one that is a mixed design between 2 different textures.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hmmm... not really many of those, since textures in Trespasser can have transparency, usually you just use a ground texture and place splashes of other ones on top of it, here and there...
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

And there could be more than one of these textures to place over others? i mean, a couple of them with different designs.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Take a look at some level within TresEd. The demo level itself has several terrain textures.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome, Tormer, to Trespasser Isle!

Indeed terrain textures are applied with "TrnObj"s or Terrain Objects. Normally texture-transition is handled by the on-or-off black-white transparency of the texture of the TrnObj in question. In some cases the devs of the original game made combination textures for transition but those are less common.

Hmm uh. Does anyone recall where the link to Wally is? Maybe we ought to put it on the site somehow? Or, here:

https://app.box.com/s/v57sg3bnmg5lhj0vzbzy0lrwfsy1xm54

You might need to download 7zip to open the archive, but this here is an old art app which has a very simple option for working with 256-color palettes for BMP images. You can save a palette from one image and load it onto another. This way you can do custom textures as well.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Hmm uh. Does anyone recall where the link to Wally is? Maybe we ought to put it on the site somehow? Or, here:

https://app.box.com/s/v57sg3bnmg5lhj0vzbzy0lrwfsy1xm54

You might need to download 7zip to open the archive, but this here is an old art app which has a very simple option for working with 256-color palettes for BMP images. You can save a palette from one image and load it onto another. This way you can do custom textures as well.
I think it could be a good idea to put Wally in the download section. I will do it this week. I did a quick search and a look in the readme and the program is from 2001 and homepage dead as well there is no mention making it forbidden to rehost it as it is freeware. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

Nice! i downloaded Wally to test some textures. Thanks, Draconisaurus!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

You're welcome! Nice profile image and sig, by the way.
Tormer
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Tormer »

Thanks!
By the way, i added a raptor with TresEd but seems that this dino isn't active if i'm far. When i test the map, i need to be closer to the raptor to make it react and chase me. I wonder if i'm doing something wrong... and what can i do to make the raptor more active from far distance?