The Fate of RTJP (Final Release Download in First Post!)

TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: The Fate of RTJP (Final Release Download in First Post!)

Post by machf »

Yeah, the TresEd optimization must have reduced the triangle count... I might try a test myself.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oooookay, after a few hours I have just finished my playthrough & TresEd view of these materials. TI: They are extremely impressive, I'm in awe with the amount of things I didn't realize you were busy with all this time. Even new recycle bins and plastic garbage bag. As I went through all this, a sense built up in me: this can't be repeated, won't be repeated, and as far as the man-made assets go I quite don't wish to use them in my own work :| I feel like here, in your levels, is where they belong. Like its identity. Same with the terrain textures... I feel like, if I took any of these for a personal project, it would be some kind of infringement on what they are, what they stand for. Along with all this, perhaps the highest thought, is that these files represent the height of Trespasser modding. Not just up to now, but always. I can't imagine anyone pooring such blood, sweat, tears, and man-hours into a Trespasser project ever again. I feel like this really is the climax. No one will make anything that amounts to what you accomplished in this mod, what vision it has that was brought forth as much as you carried it to now. :(

Simultaneous, I want to say, that it's important to remember the validity of this mod having ended now. It was never going to be finished in the format that it has here, and yet for such beauty as it has now, such plans were necessary for these things to see the light of day. So there it is.

On with the review. ...The starting area is as beautiful as I remembered it. Though I am perplexed at why the stream and waterfall objects now have such a low-detail texture. AFAICT they are solid-transparency and not 24-bit textures. Stability issues I assume :? It's nice to have seen the various iterations of this mod, so that I recall the waterfalls it used to have. That Safari Lodge is quite a piece of work, I like it. It's clear that, when not restricted by accuracy-attainment, your modeling work is quite high quality. Don't forget it!

Then into the wilderness... I quite like this area of nature, between the Lodge and the VC. The trees had this interesting element of being consistently stalky, straight, tall, and marginally spread-out, even inside the clusters of them. I really like it, and haven't seen it in Tres before. I am especially fond of the trees based on the one the Brachio was eating in JP1. Then, the classic herbivore scene - excellent. You're the first one to actually make dinosaurs that are purely animated-texture-replacement -based, and it worked out very well. Now we finally see what it looks like. All I think that hasn't been done, now, is the moving herds of Galli or Trikes.

On my way about the area I found a section of submerged models, which I explored in FLY mode. It's one of my favorite parts of the level; exactly the sort of industrial, utility-oriented structures I long to see in Tres. The player would have been able to crawl through the tubes? That sounds fun. Too bad we'll never see this. Moving on... That lodge up on the cliff, I forget its name, but it looked pretty neat. Think I've seen it before. Then I made my way to the VC, which was mostly as I remember it. Love the control room of course. I think the CM5 lights were a little too dim heh. The gift shop and desert table.. those were fun lol. You made a toy JPS1 Young Rex! So cool. That pink stuffed Trike as I've mentioned, I used to have the physical version. Nice area. Oh and here in the last version, I am finally satisfied with your dusty light-rays; I would not have suggested further modifications. 8) One fun thing I thought of. The VIP dining room, what with its serious tone, dark walls, and projector screen... it looks eerily similar to the blocked conference room in LAB. I'm wondering if that scene inspired this room for the dev who made it.

I was sad to see that, beyond the gate itself, there was no development. :( I miss the version of RTJP where several paddock areas were already set up, including the overlook ridge from the JPTG. Ah well. Beyond this... most of what there was to see was terrain work. I never realized before but, correct me if I'm wrong, you took actual topographical heightmaps and pasted them together into an Isla Nublar terrain. They look particularly nice and Jurassic. 8) And I notice also, the wind turbine is not in this version heh.

Moving on! After this I checked out RTJP~Prologue. Do I assume correctly that you took inspiration from the BE96 missing ASA file, that appears to have played before playing ingame as Anne? This sort of zoom-in on the island seems to have been what that would have shown. Your version, works very well... Thinking about it, I guess you used physical boards in front of the camera, to show the intro text? Cool.

Oh, I want to submit a general appreciation for the plethora of new sounds in the mod. Even new sound materials sounds... I don't recall anyone doing that part before. It was all quite nice to listen to.

Then, RTJP~Panama... Neat-looking, and, seeing it now, you were right. These really aren't going to look good up-close. I'll skip trying to make an explorable city out of them.

RTJP~Testing, was a nice level. I uh, wow, those're some cool items in the start area, I like it. And the spas extends its shoulder thing after you pick it up, nice. Inside the fence I couldn't find the ammo for the bazooka, rats. Still impressed with your sparkler flare, Tres ought to see more use of the particle effects. Were you really going to use both of those Raptors in the final version? I want to say, I was impressed that Helipad had only herbivores, every here and there. It was fun to have a mobile environment that wasn't trying to eat me, for an extended period.

So there's all that. I uh, the environmental work you did was amazing. The area going towards the VC with the mostly-dried streambed (though I think it looked quite wet), was amazing. You've really outdone as all, here. I like the new water texture too, HD seems to have improved a lot of things. I noticed several new normalmaps, too, which I've never even tried to mess with.

Then RTJP~NewYork, froze and made me restart.. Heh, in TresEd I explored the building, it's a pretty nice model, good job. Other basement explorations of the various levels... I enjoyed the main basement with all that stuff. Seeing the assets that would have populated the areas. I'm surprised so many JPDS assets lasted so long into production, I'm flattered. They look a bit crappy alongside your new ones. And I found the JPAC sign, pretty nice something eventually got ingame, from that obsession of mine back in JPDS days. One of those official things I've always wanted to see in Trespasser.

Final note, the CE extra things. That sky was great! Really appreciate how nice it looks. The Panama one was interesting, too, didn't know it could do a single, long loop around like that. And the moon in Prologue... :nerd: I want to say: I never saw a HUD while I was playing, didn't even think about it until I was done. Was it supposed to show up? :? I'm kinda sad my experience of these levels didn't include it. Ah and your menu was beautiful, visual and audio.

:statue:

~Drac
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:Oooookay, after a few hours I have just finished my playthrough & TresEd view of these materials.
Wait, what? Which materials? Did TI update his first post and I didn't notice it?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Oooookay, after a few hours I have just finished my playthrough & TresEd view of these materials. TI: They are extremely impressive, I'm in awe with the amount of things I didn't realize you were busy with all this time. Even new recycle bins and plastic garbage bag. As I went through all this, a sense built up in me: this can't be repeated, won't be repeated, and as far as the man-made assets go I quite don't wish to use them in my own work :| I feel like here, in your levels, is where they belong. Like its identity. Same with the terrain textures... I feel like, if I took any of these for a personal project, it would be some kind of infringement on what they are, what they stand for. Along with all this, perhaps the highest thought, is that these files represent the height of Trespasser modding. Not just up to now, but always. I can't imagine anyone pooring such blood, sweat, tears, and man-hours into a Trespasser project ever again. I feel like this really is the climax. No one will make anything that amounts to what you accomplished in this mod, what vision it has that was brought forth as much as you carried it to now. :(
I'm honoured to hear this, especially from the creator of JPDS. I personally hold JPDS and the TC Anthology in this regard - no, the graphics and world design aren't as fancy, but the overall execution and original ideas are, for me, what put it in this distinction. Perhaps we can just shake hands and agree that we both made two of the most epic Tres projects to be proud of? :wink:
I still hope however that people continue to use the assets from this mod in their own levels - they're designed to go nicely with MegaJungle, at least the foliage and terrain textures, anyway.
Simultaneous, I want to say, that it's important to remember the validity of this mod having ended now. It was never going to be finished in the format that it has here, and yet for such beauty as it has now, such plans were necessary for these things to see the light of day. So there it is.
And to think Helipad was level one of nine... :sick:
On with the review. ...The starting area is as beautiful as I remembered it. Though I am perplexed at why the stream and waterfall objects now have such a low-detail texture. AFAICT they are solid-transparency and not 24-bit textures. Stability issues I assume :? It's nice to have seen the various iterations of this mod, so that I recall the waterfalls it used to have. That Safari Lodge is quite a piece of work, I like it. It's clear that, when not restricted by accuracy-attainment, your modeling work is quite high quality. Don't forget it!
Hmm, the waterfalls don't look that way to me? Are you sure you were using hardware texture overrides? This is how they're meant to look, pretty sure the texture is from JPDS:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Then into the wilderness... I quite like this area of nature, between the Lodge and the VC. The trees had this interesting element of being consistently stalky, straight, tall, and marginally spread-out, even inside the clusters of them. I really like it, and haven't seen it in Tres before. I am especially fond of the trees based on the one the Brachio was eating in JP1. Then, the classic herbivore scene - excellent. You're the first one to actually make dinosaurs that are purely animated-texture-replacement -based, and it worked out very well. Now we finally see what it looks like. All I think that hasn't been done, now, is the moving herds of Galli or Trikes.
The whole area was done over an actual combined image texture of the location in Hawaii. I believe that TrnObj still exists in RTJP~base, along with the one of the island I was using to get the fences right.
Glad to hear the animated paras looked good to you. That was only the beginning of what I'd intended for animated characters - the humans would have been the pinnacle of that concept. Was going to do a similar thing for all of their movements and animations during cutscenes...it can definitely be done, I think you just have to be willing to animate and script it all. Recently I tried using ASA animations on an actual CAnimal...didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. But I'm certain the animated running gallis is definitely possible now, especially since it turns out ASA animated objects do indeed keep their physics. I hadn't planned a galli stampede for RTJP, weirdly enough.
On my way about the area I found a section of submerged models, which I explored in FLY mode. It's one of my favorite parts of the level; exactly the sort of industrial, utility-oriented structures I long to see in Tres. The player would have been able to crawl through the tubes? That sounds fun. Too bad we'll never see this.
I belive you may be referring to the Central Pump Station...that area was inspired directly by the Jurassic Park ride. :wink: Notice the unfinished tunnel section which would have been the teleport-transition into the actual underground tunnels (in RTJP~Tunnels). And yes, those pipes would have been the way out into the next part of the island.
Here's the portion of the walkthrough which describes this area:
Spoiler: show
-Central Pump Station
The underground tunnels are now dimly lit by the flashlight, so long as Diane holds it in her hand, and she can make her way deeper inside. Fortunately, just inside of the darker part of the tunnel, there is a button which reads "Emergency Lighting" - turning it on will cause a series of dim, yellow lights along the walls to turn on, illuminating the tunnel just enough for Diane to proceed without the flashlight.
The tunnels ahead - only a small section of the massive maintenance tunnels that criss-cross Isla Nublar - run for a short distance underground before stopping at a T-junction. To the right, the tunnels end at what is currently a dead end, since the elevator which would allow access deeper into the tunnels isn't operational without power, so Diane will have to head left into a large, cavernous space full of multicoloured pipes, pumps and tanks. This is the Central Pump Station, controlling the feed of water throughout much of the island and, in particular, allowing water to flow through the man-made river which runs north of here. The pump station is currently only partially operational, running in "FREE" mode where water from the aquifier deep below the facility is constantly being fed to one of the two pipes which control the water's access to the rivers. Finding the way to proceed out of the Pump Station will be a major task for Diane, as she'll need to get it operating without power in order to continue.
If Diane looks around, she'll notice that signage points to the fact that pipes lead out of the two large reservoirs northward and southward. While the south-side reservoir is already draining out to the lake, the north-side is stagnant, and its feed pipe isn't working, which should clue Diane into noticing something needs to be changed. Diane will notice that if she climbs up onto the catwalks over the reservoir, she can jump down into the draining one and follow the feed pipe back out to the lake - not the way she needs to go. Instead, she needs to open the north-side reservoir in order to proceed.
Looking around, Diane will find a small, elevated control room. Unfortunately, the door is locked, so Diane has to climb through the elevated window by walking along the piping from the catwalks. Once inside, she can unlock the door for easier access next time. Inside of control room, amongst other obscure buttons and the "FREE" lever (which simply stops the water from flowing altogether), levers are present for "Feed gate N" and "Feed gate S". However, these levers cannot be used at the moment as the power is out. Another lever reads "Emerg. FG hydraulic pwr." Flipping this lights up a yellow "CHECK SYS" light on the console, but the green "ACTIVE" one stays off. This should indicate that there is an error with that system. Handily, a schematic nearby indicates the hydraulic power system elsewhere in the plant, and handwriting reads, "15/04/93. Hydraulic pipe needs tightening. Where is wrench?" This should point out to Diane that the hydraulic pipe - which can be found beneath the control room, leaking water now that the emergency hydraulic power is active - needs a repair with a wrench. There should be a wrench handy nearby for this, and using the wrench on the pipe repairs the hydraulics and stops the leaking water. With the problem solved, Diane can now go and flip the switch in the Control Room to the "ACTIVE" setting. Now the two Feed Gate levers can be flipped to drain (or fill) the reservoirs.
With the north-side reservior draining, the player simply has to jump down into it and then climb into the feed pipe. From there, they can follow the pipe until it dumps them out into the stream, where they can then proceed forward.
Moving on... That lodge up on the cliff, I forget its name, but it looked pretty neat. Think I've seen it before.
Which lodge are you referring to? The untextured one inside the aviary (Pteratops Lodge), or the one up on top of the cliff near the brachiosaurs (Safari Lodge)?
Then I made my way to the VC, which was mostly as I remember it. Love the control room of course. I think the CM5 lights were a little too dim heh. The gift shop and desert table.. those were fun lol.
The Control Room went untouched from the initial import, actually. I was going to wait until the actual VC room models were finished up before doing the details throughout the rest of the building.
You made a toy JPS1 Young Rex! So cool. That pink stuffed Trike as I've mentioned, I used to have the physical version. Nice area.
The young Rex was my first JP toy ever, got it when I was probably 3 or 4, haha. I felt I had to make him because he was probably my first introduction to JP. :P I also used to have the stuffed trike, brachiosaur, and the stegosaurus from that series.
Oh and here in the last version, I am finally satisfied with your dusty light-rays; I would not have suggested further modifications.
Awesome, glad you liked them. I recommend this as the best way to do light-ray effects in Tres...I believe this was like the fourth or fifth attempt at them?
8) One fun thing I thought of. The VIP dining room, what with its serious tone, dark walls, and projector screen... it looks eerily similar to the blocked conference room in LAB. I'm wondering if that scene inspired this room for the dev who made it.
I always thought that as well. The table itself is a bit of a giveaway for me. Too bad I never finished up that room, I would probably have changed the wall textures out. Was also going to proprely animate the projectors with the slideshow from the movie as well once you got the power back on in RTJP~Lodge.
I was sad to see that, beyond the gate itself, there was no development. :( I miss the version of RTJP where several paddock areas were already set up, including the overlook ridge from the JPTG. Ah well.
Yeah, that was one of the last areas I touched. I had actually done a bit of work on it but ultimately deleted it because I was trying to work the canyon from the fence-climb scene in there, but it simply didn't fit. On a full-scale Isla Nublar, I definitely would have been able to get it in there. :wink:
The area from the Telltale game was semi-planned out - there's a cliff running northward along the moat which defines the galli paddock which was the base for it, though it actually wouldn't have been accessible at all until Tunnels or Park.
Beyond this... most of what there was to see was terrain work. I never realized before but, correct me if I'm wrong, you took actual topographical heightmaps and pasted them together into an Isla Nublar terrain. They look particularly nice and Jurassic. 8)
Yup, there are a fair few areas which were taken directly from the movie, but the whole island isn't. The helipad canyon, Raptor Pen area, and brachiosaur lake had their terrain taken directly from 1990s Google Earth. For the most part the island came from a heightmap I made from scratch.
Make sure you check out RTJP~base as well in TresEd - it's the most complete level, after all.
Moving on! After this I checked out RTJP~Prologue. Do I assume correctly that you took inspiration from the BE96 missing ASA file, that appears to have played before playing ingame as Anne? This sort of zoom-in on the island seems to have been what that would have shown. Your version, works very well... Thinking about it, I guess you used physical boards in front of the camera, to show the intro text? Cool.
The intro here was inspired simply by the movies, specifically Lost World. In the final version, I'd intended to have the screen fade-in from blackness (via a black ball surrounding the camera which would have a fading texture animation). That was the first demonstration of a cutscene I'd come up with - think it worked pretty well. I wanted the "feel" of the cutscenes to match with JP and TLW, as if this were some sort of long-lost sequel from 1998.
The intro text is indeed just a textured, animated object. Would have used that to great effect in the mod...that fading sphere I mentioned was one thing. I'd also intended to use it for the players' death, with "You're Dead!" text appearing on screen or something like that. Using actual videos was never an option, they're just too low-quality.
I seem to have never posted my walkthrough of Prologue, which properly detailed this cutscene as well as the rest of the level...I've included it in the spoiler below. Everything in there was to be executed in-game, from the man climbing out of the zodiac in third-person to the various potential scripted deaths at the end.
-Introduction
A black screen. Slowly a rumbling noise builds until it reveals itself as the sound of the ocean. The world fades into view and we begin flying across the water as the opening titles reveal themselves. Through the storm, an island comes into view, and before long a small Coast Guard boat appears through the fog, and from that a tiny zodiac raft streaks across the camera toward the island. The raft glides up to a ruined service dock and stops, its sole occupant climbing out onto one of the piers next to the hulking wreckage of a sunken cargo ship.

-East Dock
At this point, the player gains control of the character. A small box of equipment sits on the dock next to him, containing a radio, a pistol, and a sketched map of the local part of the island. Over the radio, a voice tells him to head inland, toward the compound. As he retrieves his gear, the wet pistol slips from his grip, bounces off the side of the dock, and plummets into the ocean.
Without the pistol, he sets off across the dock, passing a small office - labelled "Harbour Master" - which contains some interesting bits of information which reveal this place to be the East Dock of Isla Nublar. Moving through the dock, he passes an abandoned, rusting van (its interior storage compartment is locked fast) as well as a small unfinished reception building. Arriving at the main gate to the dock, he finds it shut and immobile, preventing him from moving onward.

-Exiting the Dock
There are a few simple ways to get past the gate: find the way to open it, climb over the fence, or find the hidden hole.
Opening the gate is quite simple. The Harbour Master's Office has a small switch hidden behind some clutter labelled "gate", which can be flipped to unlock it.
Climbing the fence can be done simply by amassing several crates by its base and jumping over.
Additionally, there is a gap in the fence within a smaller fenced area that can be accessed by pushing open the gate to the fenced area, and then moving some crates out of the way to reveal the hole.
Once the man has exited the dock, he can proceed along the short trail that leads to the concrete perimeter road.

-Perimeter Road
From here, signs point all across the island in different directions. He sets off southward toward the Visitor Center, following the road around the coast. As he moves through the light jungle surrounding the road, there is the occasional sound of various jungle animals, some sounding quite large. Eventually, he rounds a bend and spots a lighthouse in the distance, and quickly comes to another intersection, this one leading to a gate through a massive fence which had seemingly been electrified at some point.

-Lighthouse
The road can be followed all the way to the lighthouse after a short trek. At this point, the road is broken by a raised bridge at the foot of a large hydroelectric dam which cannot be lowered. The lighthouse is out on a rocky point along a sort of shanty pier with several gaps in the floor. Getting into the lighthouse reveals little in the way of anything useful, and attempting to re-activate the light inside does nothing - it seems the power's been out for quite some time.

-Through the Gate
Ultimately, the man will have to proceed through the gate, which already appears to have been opened at some point. Entering the fenced area, the man plunges deeper into the jungle and quickly comes across another intersection, this time leading up a slanting hill and through a tunnel. Additionally, there is a small utility shed outside which is locked by a non-functioning keypad. As the hill leading upward has been washed-out along its length by a fast-flowing stream, the only way to go is through the very dark tunnel. The tunnel is only very short however and soon he emerges out the other side into a muddy clearing.

-Jeep Clearing
The rain continues beating down as the man follows the road out to an open area at the base of a hill, where a rain-induced waterfall cascades downward into a small pool before the water disperses throughout the area. Sitting atop this small waterfall sits an old, rusted Jeep Wrangler, clearly abandoned for just as long as the van back at the dock.
Attempting to climb the waterfall is futile - it's too slippery in the rain - so the man follows the road along to another junction. This time, the road ahead is blocked by a fair amount of fallen foliage, so the man proceeds left, which leads to a switchback to the hilltop where the jeep was. About midway along this road, there is a rustling in the foliage to the right, and the man looks to see the plants swaying as if something had just run through there. If the man had checked the lighthouse, he'd know that there are deer and other wild animals which roam this island, and he doesn't really become too concerned with this.
Soon, he reaches a bend in the road, where a smashed wooden fence indicates the location of the Jeep. He can descend a small slope to the Jeep, which sits caught on a fallen branch.
If he opens the driver-side door, he'll gasp in fright as the dismembered skeleton of a man in a torn-up yellow rain jacket tumbles out to his feet. The man has clearly been here for some time, and it's evident that something must have killed him by the faded, dried bloody handprints that stain parts of the interior. Aside from this body, there is little of interest inside the vehicle.

-The Killers
With the only way to go along the road that leads uphill through the jungle, the man continues in that direction when suddenly a large, black shape of some kind of creature steps out onto the road ahead. It snorts and shrieks loudly before ducking back into the jungle. The man gasps in fright and over the radio the voice tells him to run and hide. At this point there are several outcomes that can happen here:
Attempting to proceed on the road where the animal was spotted results in the sound of running footsteps from behind and suddenly the man screams as something heavy smashes into him from behind. Black screen over the sound of screaming and primordial growls.
Running back and hiding in the Jeep results in the man ducking onto the floor of the back seat. The form of something outside the passenger-side window moves by before the door suddenly clicks open. There is a snort and then a shriek and the man screams in terror as something smashes its head through the back window. Black screen over the sound of screaming and primordial growls.
Returning along the road he came through yields a similar result to the first scenario - as the man enters the tunnel, footsteps run up behind him and he is knocked to the ground. Black screen over the sound of screaming and primordial growls.
End level.
Oh, I want to submit a general appreciation for the plethora of new sounds in the mod. Even new sound materials sounds... I don't recall anyone doing that part before. It was all quite nice to listen to.
One of my favourite elements of the mod as well! I'm definitely going to re-use the sound library I compiled for RTJP - never did add proper dino sounds or the many music tracks I'd assembled to the TPAs.
RTJP~Testing, was a nice level. I uh, wow, those're some cool items in the start area, I like it. And the spas extends its shoulder thing after you pick it up, nice. Inside the fence I couldn't find the ammo for the bazooka, rats. Still impressed with your sparkler flare, Tres ought to see more use of the particle effects. Were you really going to use both of those Raptors in the final version?
Most of those models in the start area were taken from other games, I think. I'd eventually planned to replace them all with my own assets.
The extending stock SPAS is one of my favourite little doodads. I'd also intended to have the SPAS eject shell casings and had tested adding a left arm to the model while you were holding it, but the left arm thing didn't work out. Which was a shame, as I'd wanted to actually have a pump animation for it. Luckily the real-life SPAS-12 also has a semi-auto mode, which is why it doesn't have a pump sound after you fire it.
The Randler Shoulder Launcher's - i.e., the bazooka - ammo is in the Raptor Nest, if I remember correctly. Only one rocket.
Try igniting the flare and throwing it at a carnivore. The activation trigger sets its AI identification to food, so carnivores will actually chase after it if you throw it. This would have been used in-game in Helipad in order to get a triceratops to open a gate as well as in Tunnels in order to get a baryonyx to smash something down.
Both the brown Raptors would have been in the final version, though the one with the black stripes was due for a major skin update. This was meant to be the male version of the JP1 Raptors - it's been 7 years since the Isla Nublar incident in RTJP, so by that point I figured there would probably be some male dinosaurs running around. The TLW tiger Raptors felt too bright compared to the JP ones, and all of the dinosaurs in TLW look different than their JP counterparts anyway. I'd intended to make 3 or 4 variants of the brown JP1 Raptors with minor differences between them in order to create some variety.
I want to say, I was impressed that Helipad had only herbivores, every here and there. It was fun to have a mobile environment that wasn't trying to eat me, for an extended period.
You would have encountered compies, dilophosaurs, segisaurs and metriacanthosaurs in the final version. Never really got around to including them as I'd wanted their behaviour and appearances to be both scripted and random, and I'm not a proponent of adding combat elements to a level until the basic world design is mostly finished.
So there's all that. I uh, the environmental work you did was amazing. The area going towards the VC with the mostly-dried streambed (though I think it looked quite wet), was amazing. You've really outdone as all, here. I like the new water texture too, HD seems to have improved a lot of things. I noticed several new normalmaps, too, which I've never even tried to mess with.
Thanks a lot! :) That streambed was nowhere near finished - was waiting to re-do all of the rocks in the level first.
Every texture I made was normalmapped! I feel it really pays off...the VC never would have looked the same without them.
Then RTJP~NewYork, froze and made me restart.. Heh, in TresEd I explored the building, it's a pretty nice model, good job.
Yeah, never got far on that level. To be honest, I forgot it even existed in any capacity. As I'd said in the private forum, that level was going to be re-done from scratch as RTJP~Cupertino (the headquarters of BioSyn in the book), with a completely different layout.
Other basement explorations of the various levels... I enjoyed the main basement with all that stuff. Seeing the assets that would have populated the areas. I'm surprised so many JPDS assets lasted so long into production, I'm flattered. They look a bit crappy alongside your new ones. And I found the JPAC sign, pretty nice something eventually got ingame, from that obsession of mine back in JPDS days. One of those official things I've always wanted to see in Trespasser.
The JPDS assets are classic, they have their place just as you said the RTJP assets have theirs. That being said, eventually every model was due for an update. There would in the end have been no retail or JPDS models left.
The JPAC sign was another one of the references to the JP ride that made it in...I'd also meant to add in that crashed JPAC boat near the docks as well as a few other references, most notably the River Adventure rafts in RTJP~River (you can find that model in RTJP~base, if I'm not mistaken).
Final note, the CE extra things. That sky was great! Really appreciate how nice it looks. The Panama one was interesting, too, didn't know it could do a single, long loop around like that. And the moon in Prologue... :nerd: I want to say: I never saw a HUD while I was playing, didn't even think about it until I was done. Was it supposed to show up? :? I'm kinda sad my experience of these levels didn't include it. Ah and your menu was beautiful, visual and audio.
I love that CE sky, one of my favourite new features introduced in CE. Will always be sure to create new ones for each level I work on!
Not sure what happened with the HUD? I definitely included it, it should appear in all of the levels which are playable unless there's something going on on your end. Might need to change a trespasser.ini setting. You can also check if it's working by going into a level and trying to jump around, as your stamina will run out eventually, or holding Shift to sprint, as I did include that feature as well.

Anyway, glad to hear you liked what you saw! It gives me confidence that, had RTJP been completed, I would have achieved my goal of creating one of the more orignal Trespasser mods and that others would have enjoyed it as much as I. :)
machf wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:Oooookay, after a few hours I have just finished my playthrough & TresEd view of these materials.
Wait, what? Which materials? Did TI update his first post and I didn't notice it?
Yeah, check it out, machf - the download is in the first post now. :)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

A couple off the levels don't finish loading...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:A couple off the levels don't finish loading...
Yeah, as I said, only Helipad, Prologue and Testing are playable. Panama works too but it doesn't have anything to do, and RTJP~base was never meant to be playable anyway since if the mod were finished the entire island would ultimately have been populated in this one level, which would have sent it way, way over the object limit...just from the size of Helipad, I'm guessing in total Isla Nublar's object count would have been somewhere around 80,000.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

As I mentioned, I am considering the foliage in this for future mods. Tho, might I recommend simply putting them all into the next MegaJungle release? And the terrain textures... Again, my modder's.. 'code'?.. insists that I don't use these RTJP terrain textures for my own projects, as they are too closely tied to the reality of your mod and must stay that way.

Hmmmm, the waterfalls... I just tested my quick-hack JPDS CE, running on the same engine (same trespasser.ini), and it's 24-bit river textures appear just fine. :? Not sure what's goin on there. Oh and, the squirrel script for the HUD etc., I am extremely unfamiliar with it and what makes it tick. Perhaps you would know what to look for in trespasser.ini, that allows it to operate.

Whoa the whole herbivore area was based on the real thing... That is definitely something :| Great job.

Animated humans... As you've seen I did a bit of that in my youtube show. Quite rudimentary but it did the job. I am hoping one day such things will be implemented in a mod. Oh, did you see my "Para Parade" video, in the "Trespasser Odyssey"? From IT55. Well evidently a static model can be made to move around on an AI rig, randomly and such. This could be used to have humans wandering around, say, a town area. I'm not sure if we'll ever get around to testing the rig-human-legs-to-a-raptor idea.

Yeah the Central Pump Station. IOA, huh, would not have guessed. That is pretty neat.

Ah I meant the... No I'd already mentioned the Safari Lodge, that thing is awesome. And no not the black Aviary one, I mean the one overlooking the Brachs.

Huh I didn't know you ALSO had the pink Trike! All these years I thought I was the only one. :o
For the most part the island came from a heightmap I made from scratch.
Duhhhh. Uhm, I mean, the mountain areas in and about the North of the island, their terrain is extremely realistic. Contours and all. Are you saying you did that in Terrain Edit Mode? I thought I noticed lingering artifacts of high-detail heightmap import...

Cool intro plan... You were going above and beyond all Tres mod standards, the whole time.. Oh I must confess, all the plot descriptions and such you've been posting, I stopped reading them some time ago because I'm a slow reader and they take excessive amounts of time to read.

Yay new sounds in your future mods, I do look forward to that 8)

EVERY texture you made normalmapped... Nuts.
I love that CE sky, one of my favourite new features introduced in CE. Will always be sure to create new ones for each level I work on!
I uhh.. Hmmm now that you're done with RTJP, I don't suppose you could write a quick tutorial thread, maybe with a couple pictures, on how to do a CE sky? I attempted some time ago but with rather lackluster results.

Looking forward to all your future creations :god:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

As I mentioned, I am considering the foliage in this for future mods. Tho, might I recommend simply putting them all into the next MegaJungle release?
I was eventually going to do that, yeah, along with the terrain textures. They're all designed to match up with one another, though I don't like using the RTJP grass with the MegaJungle terrain. Doesn't quite match up.
Hmmmm, the waterfalls... I just tested my quick-hack JPDS CE, running on the same engine (same trespasser.ini), and it's 24-bit river textures appear just fine. :? Not sure what's goin on there. Oh and, the squirrel script for the HUD etc., I am extremely unfamiliar with it and what makes it tick. Perhaps you would know what to look for in trespasser.ini, that allows it to operate.
Huh, very strange. Try:

Code: Select all

[Debug]
DisableScripting=0
ReloadScripts=0
[Render]
32bitHardwareTextures=True
HWTextureOverrides=True
ForceNoBlendTrans=False
I did check the level again just to be sure and the HUD is working. The water textures however are pure white, though they still have proper transparency...must have changed that at some point.
Whoa the whole herbivore area was based on the real thing... That is definitely something :| Great job.
If I could do the whole island at full-scale, every area seen in the movie would have been based on the real thing. Sadly it just doesn't work scale-wise on a 4096x heightmap. I find using real-world terrain to recreate areas, even roughly before going in and doing detail, can really help make a realistic environment.
Animated humans... As you've seen I did a bit of that in my youtube show. Quite rudimentary but it did the job. I am hoping one day such things will be implemented in a mod. Oh, did you see my "Para Parade" video, in the "Trespasser Odyssey"? From IT55. Well evidently a static model can be made to move around on an AI rig, randomly and such. This could be used to have humans wandering around, say, a town area. I'm not sure if we'll ever get around to testing the rig-human-legs-to-a-raptor idea.
One day I'll probably take a crack at human animations using my Diane model or something.
I did see the Para Parade video, pretty funny stuff. :P But yes, as I've unintentionally discovered, you don't actually have to attach every bone to a model in order for it to work as a CAnimal. This could work if you just wanted to animate the legs, and maybe have some sort of model swap or something like the TC dilo (instead of having the frill come out, you have the human raise his arms to shoot?) in order to give it a bit of life.
Not sure if I ever posted this, but in my TI~test level, I created a rudimentary "human" using machf's Bob model, a gun, a trigger and an invisible Raptor. Bob's a CEntityAttached on the Raptor, the gun is attached via magnet to the Raptor's head, a trigger makes the gun fire when you're nearby, and the invisible Raptor is silent and has no collision. Ultimately you get a terrifying T-posing box man who shoots infinitely and staggers around in a goofy manner, but it does indeed work.
Click on Image
Click on Image
That's the Safari Lodge reception building. The rest of the lodge would have been built up around it, using hppav's buildings as well as a number of new assets. Not that you would have been able to get up there anyway until the third level - I'd planned on making the lodge out of "mock" distant models for the time being, like the EA in JPDS.
Duhhhh. Uhm, I mean, the mountain areas in and about the North of the island, their terrain is extremely realistic. Contours and all. Are you saying you did that in Terrain Edit Mode? I thought I noticed lingering artifacts of high-detail heightmap import...
It's part heightmap, part TresEd. The highly detailed areas on the northern end of the mountains are straight from the heightmap without any edits, while the ones to the south were heavily edited by this point in TresEd. Amazing what the GIMP Smear tool does for mountains!
Cool intro plan... You were going above and beyond all Tres mod standards, the whole time.. Oh I must confess, all the plot descriptions and such you've been posting, I stopped reading them some time ago because I'm a slow reader and they take excessive amounts of time to read.
Haha, you told me, it's no problem. If you ever get the time though I'd love to hear your thoughts on some of them. I admit that they're pretty long-winded, but I did that deliberately so I could remember all the details of what I had planned. Specifically, the Final Plot Summary, History Thread, Backstory Documents, and (I know it's really, really long, so don't sweat it) the complete Helipad walkthrough. I'm going to upload the rest of the unfinished walkthroughs, which are limited to mostly just headers rather than full descriptions, as well as they contain the outline of the rest of the levels in detail.
uhh.. Hmmm now that you're done with RTJP, I don't suppose you could write a quick tutorial thread, maybe with a couple pictures, on how to do a CE sky? I attempted some time ago but with rather lackluster results.
I found the small summary in the CE documentation works well enough for that matter. In any case I usually just take my Beach HD sky as a starting point these days when making my other skies - you can get pretty much whatever you need by changing and extending those settings. The only thing I have yet to figure out is the real-world star map, which honestly seems a bit excessive to me.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:The only thing I have yet to figure out is the real-world star map, which honestly seems a bit excessive to me.
I've got that to work before. Lee released an example for it at one point. You can create some pretty amazing night skies with it. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Yes the water was pure white. Strange.

Hmmm I applied the changes per the code slice you provided, and, still no HUD. Has anyone else got this working? Here is my complete trespasser.ini file, after the above recommended mods:

Code: Select all

; Example/reference configuration for running the game with DirectX 9 HW rendering
; Copy this file to the game installation directory and rename it to trespasser.ini
;
; see reference file doc\trespasser.ini for description and additional configuration parameters

;------
[Debug]
;------

LogDevInfo=7

DisableScripting=0

ReloadScripts=0

;--------
[General]
;--------

;TimestampScreenshots=True

;EnableQuickSaveKey=True

EnableDualStow=True

TryIncompleteInstall=True

SavesShotsDirs=True

;---------
[Controls]
;---------

;MouseSensX=1.0
;MouseSensY=1.0

;--------
[Display]
;--------

ScreenBitDepth=32

; if necessary adjust this to match the refresh rate of your display (+1 to give it a small margin)
MaxFramerate=61

;-----------
[DisplayDX9]
;-----------

UseDX9=True

;MultiSamplingLevel=16

;EnableVSync=False

;LimitGpuCommandBuffer=1

;Enable10bitDisplay=True

ScaleModeMenus=2

WaterRefraction=True

ATOCMode=1

EnhancedSky=True

;------
[Sound]
;------

NoSavegameSysSettings=True

MixerFrequency=44100

;------------
[SoundOpenAL]
;------------

UseAL=True

Device=Generic Software

DisableEAX=False

;-------
[Memory]
;-------

SysMemSizeD3D=8192

MemSizeD3D=220

TexPoolSizeD3D=16384

MaxTerrainMem=20000

MaxTerrainDynaShadowMem=12000

ExtraTerrainNodes=10

;ForceManagedMemD3D=True

;-------
[Render]
;-------

32bitHardwareTextures=True

HWTextureOverrides=True

;FOV=75.0

CacheMinDist=60.0

MinCullDistance=50.0
MinCullDistanceShadow=20.0

ObjectCullDistScale=5.0
ObjectCullDistScaleShadow=1.25

CachedObjectCullDistScale=8.0

MinObjectCullDist=100.0
MinObjectCullDistShadow=20.0
MinCachedObjectCullDist=500.0

MinTerrainNodeEvalDist=35

ForceMaxObjectDetail=True

TexFilterD3D=8

;ForceNoBlendTrans=True
ForceNoBlendTrans=False

MipMapMode=2
AutoMipMap=2

;-----------------
[MaxQualityParams]
;-----------------

MinSubdivison=8
AltMinSubdivision=16

DetailReductionScale=8.0

CullDistScale=5.0
CullShadowDistScale=3.0

WaterResScale=3.0

TerrainTexelScale=3.0

TerrainDistanceScale=3.0

PixelTolAdj=0.25

ResolutionScale=2.0
That Bob test, lol, you ought to release it. Anyway hopefully a nice animated-human test will be in the first release of Drac~Test.

Eheh, one day, it'd surely be fun to read through your description posts, now that I know they won't get any longer. We'll have a, coupon day or, something...

Heh yeah, I got the Star Map to work. Lee included it with a modded TestScnNght that he released. I uh, couldn't figure out how to alter the date/time setting, though. Shooting stars are pretty neat.

TI, have you released this on ModDB yet? I'm curious what responses you might get there, or if you have any way to estimate how many people have downloaded the package...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Draconisaurus wrote: Heh yeah, I got the Star Map to work. Lee included it with a modded TestScnNght that he released. I uh, couldn't figure out how to alter the date/time setting, though. Shooting stars are pretty neat.
Where's that download, Drac? I would love to check that out.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Rebel wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote: Heh yeah, I got the Star Map to work. Lee included it with a modded TestScnNght that he released. I uh, couldn't figure out how to alter the date/time setting, though. Shooting stars are pretty neat.
Where's that download, Drac? I would love to check that out.
https://mega.nz/file/dQl3TDZY#D0AAbD8af ... m8XulUx7v8
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Thanks, bud. ;)

@Edit: The starry night sky looks great, but it definitely needs a new moon.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

A new moon or a full moon? Because a new moon wouldn't be visible... ;)
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

I am late to the party but I want to give TI my up-most gratitude for his devotion to Return to Jurassic Park. It has been a wonderful few years since he has been here to bring one of the most ambitious projects to Tres, and while the outcome wasn't what anyone wanted, it's presence was felt in the forum. Thank you TI for your hard work, your love for the TresCom community! I look forward to playing what was at least completed and seeing the amazing work you put over the years. - LK