Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Cloning Facility

Post by Draconisaurus »

I don't believe so. The only time I recall ever testing it was for an early RTJP version in which I did manage to get it to work. I know I also wrote a tutorial somewhere on it.
Whaaaaat. TC shouldn't be on CE without the spitting Dilo! :O Drac puts TI to work in the dungeons.
Had no idea about this, are we sure it works properly? Do you have an example model I could see? I think that would make a significant difference if the Occlusion objects worked properly, especially since right now they don't do a great job. I did plan on making Occlusion objects that matched the terrain shape which is a bit unfortunate, but perhaps now that we know it's on a per-triangle basis I might be able to bend the triangles so that they cover the maximum area possible.
I only read the Tres-tri-polygon thing a few uh weeks back? And haven't gotten around to testing it. It's on the roster to get to at some point. Maybe I can push it to 18.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Was working on something else and noticed that my TLW tiger-Raptor skin looked like crap. So here's the much-improved new version which despite having hi-res textures was actually traced from the original TC~Isle Raptor skin:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
I also hope to do a TLW-style brown Raptor skin eventually, but there is limited reference material for that one, even though it's not too far off from the JP1 Raptors (more grey patches and larger stripes). Funnily enough the very early "long-clawed" Tres Raptor is one of the better references for that particular design!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That looks nice... Are the scales only in the normalmap, or both? Also the eye seems to be from the Tres box image.

For TLW brown raptor (wasn't aware there was one), def. look over at... Jurassic Vault. Ouch, I've been away too long! Forgot what the site's name was.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

That looks nice... Are the scales only in the normalmap, or both? Also the eye seems to be from the Tres box image.
The scales are in the texture as well. The normal map however adds a lot of depth - look at the lower jaw. The eye (and most of the JP1 Raptor texture, which is where the base texture came from) is directly from the movie, specifically I think it's from the close-up profile of the Raptor hissing when Tim and Lex run out of the kitchen. I recoloured it to be a bit more green for this skin to match TLW.
For TLW brown raptor (wasn't aware there was one), def. look over at... Jurassic Vault. Ouch, I've been away too long! Forgot what the site's name was.
Yeah, they've got the same stuff over there that I'd already compiled years ago on the Lost World Raptors. The brown Raptors in TLW are hard to notice as they don't get close-ups like the tiger ones. I've also suspected for a long time that there might be a "green" CGI TLW Raptor as well, which is visible in the shot right after Sarah falls off the electrical building's roof getting attacked by the other Raptor, but it might just be the brown one with weird lighting making it look that way.

Best shot of the TLW Brown Raptor I've found. You can tell it's TLW because of the little bumps on the back of the neck. It's very similar to the JP1 Raptors but there are more grey blotches and the stripes are more pronounced. The eye shape is also definitely a bit different, they look a lot meaner in TLW than the first movie, and you can see the beginnings of that raised snout ridge that became much more pronounced in JP3.
Click on Image
Brown Raptor is on the front-right here - compare the head and tail to the tiger Raptor to the left. Brown Raptor also in the background.
Click on Image
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:Was working on something else and noticed that my TLW tiger-Raptor skin looked like crap. So here's the much-improved new version which despite having hi-res textures was actually traced from the original TC~Isle Raptor skin:
Click on Image
I also hope to do a TLW-style brown Raptor skin eventually, but there is limited reference material for that one, even though it's not too far off from the JP1 Raptors (more grey patches and larger stripes). Funnily enough the very early "long-clawed" Tres Raptor is one of the better references for that particular design!
When you show of this level, it reminds me of how much nicer everything looks when hand-placing foliage in areas. Definitely a future goal of the Isla Sorna project, to redo ALL foliage by hand.
TheIdiot wrote:Brown Raptor is on the front-right here - compare the head and tail to the tiger Raptor to the left. Brown Raptor also in the background.
Click on Image
I think it is funny that they used this image in Trespasser ads :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

When you show of this level, it reminds me of how much nicer everything looks when hand-placing foliage in areas. Definitely a future goal of the Isla Sorna project, to redo ALL foliage by hand.
Yeah, it does definitely show when you manually put down every single plant one-by-one. Part of the reason I do that is to avoid having the leaves clipping on different trees in order to improve performance, but often I'll spend several minutes on a single tree just trying to get it to look good in the context of the rest of the level...for instance, there are a number of curved palm trees I've placed in such a way as to create a sort of "tunnel" effect with the hopes that the player is drawn toward the tunnel in the right direction, or in some places I've got gaps in the trees in order to "frame" something further ahead in the level. That's probably why it takes me so long to do anything! :P Re-doing the entire 8192x Sorna terrain by hand sounds like a project that would take an infinite amount of time!
I think it is funny that they used this image in Trespasser ads :)
My guess is this is where they got the colour schemes for the early Raptor models, though it's possible they got to visit Stan Winston Studios and got a good look at the animatronics there as well. There's a specific image from the early Tres days of two early Raptor models I wanted to bring up but the image gallery on the main site is still down. :?
tatu

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:Re-doing the entire 8192x Sorna terrain by hand sounds like a project that would take an infinite amount of time!
To be honest, I think it might be just as time consuming like redoing the height of everything, which I am doing anyway ;)
TheIdiot wrote:My guess is this is where they got the colour schemes for the early Raptor models, though it's possible they got to visit Stan Winston Studios and got a good look at the animatronics there as well. There's a specific image from the early Tres days of two early Raptor models I wanted to bring up but the image gallery on the main site is still down. :?
Yes, that is on me! I got vacation between the 5th and 9th September, which I plan on spending on Trespasser stuff. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

That TLW brown raptor reminds me of the long-clawed raptor from the beta (is that on the main site still?). Just a suggestion T.I.; don't shoot for perfection, I'd like to play this level before I
kick the ol' bucket!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Cool raptor image. Looking now, it seems possible as the inspiration for TLW Utah Raptor toy.
Re-doing the entire 8192x Sorna terrain by hand sounds like a project that would take an infinite amount of time!
I'm with TI on this one... Hand-placement I enjoy for select areas to make them stand-out.
Brown Raptor Origin
I could be wrong but it looks to me here that an actual image from the first JP film was photoshopped into the texture for the pre-release brown raptor.
Attachments
Araptor01t2.bmp
Araptor01t2.bmp (65.05 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Just a suggestion T.I.; don't shoot for perfection, I'd like to play this level before I
kick the ol' bucket!
Unfortunately this level seems to be my attempt at doing perfection in every single little nook n' cranny. However I do have another small project on the side I've worked on a fair bit which might see the light of day before the 22nd Century as it's not as heavily detailed. :wink:
Cool raptor image. Looking now, it seems possible as the inspiration for TLW Utah Raptor toy.
That big Utahraptor toy is from JP Series 2 actually :P . But there are a lot of striped Raptor toys from the original JP series as they seem to have been trying to recreate a simplified version of the JP1 Raptors.
I'm with TI on this one... Hand-placement I enjoy for select areas to make them stand-out.
That was my philosophy going into this level initially until I realized that I wanted every area to stand out!
That TLW brown raptor reminds me of the long-clawed raptor from the beta (is that on the main site still?).
I could be wrong but it looks to me here that an actual image from the first JP film was photoshopped into the texture for the pre-release brown raptor.
Taking a look at that texture and comparing it to my references of the JP and TLW Raptors, it does look like the Tres Raptor is based on the JP1 Raptors rather than the TLW brown Raptors. Here's a comparison, TLW on the left and JP on the right:
Click on Image
The stripes are more defined on the TLW Raptor - JP1's has the grey spread out a lot more. Compare the grey on the neck of the Tres Raptor texture to the movie images - looks closer to JP1. The face as well, TLW's has more highlight between the grey parts. So it looks to me like the early Tres Raptors are actually JP1 Raptors! I think this is understandable as the brown Raptor is not especially obvious in TLW, considering the animatronic of it barely appears (in fact, I don't think it's actually in the movie at all). The brown Raptor in the Ops Centre scene is only ever depicted in CGI form - it's the one that falls off the roof past Sarah. I thought this was the potential "green" Raptor though now it looks more like the lighting of the scene is what gives it that tone, but it seems more clear now the actual CGI model is grey-brown like the animatronic.

Here's the screenshots I was looking for of some pre-alpha Tres Raptor renders.
Click on Image
These two both look like more completely original depictions of the TLW Raptors, both of which have obvious differences between themselves and the movie designs. Might have to recreate the brown version as I really like this 'leopard' pattern. The tiger version looks a lot closer, but the stripes are quite different in shape and size.
Click on Image
A much more accurate version of the tiger Raptor. This one looks the closest of any of the Tres development material overall, moreso even than the final version - it's possible these textures are directly lifted from studio images.

Also just found this one of a tiger Raptor with apparent blood on its "lips", probably from having devoured a hunter. Pretty cool detail!
Click on Image
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

TheIdiot wrote:Unfortunately this level seems to be my attempt at doing perfection in every single little nook n' cranny. However I do have another small project on the side I've worked on a fair bit which might see the light of day before the 22nd Century as it's not as heavily detailed. :wink:
:lol: Oh, I really laughed my ass off on that response.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TLW Utah:
TLWUtahSmll.jpg
TLWUtahSmll.jpg (167.41 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
A much more accurate version of the tiger Raptor. This one looks the closest of any of the Tres development material overall, moreso even than the final version - it's possible these textures are directly lifted from studio images.
Tatu might know, but this one looks like it might be from TLW for PS1.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Oh, never seen that TLW utahraptor repaint before (like I said, I collected the entire JP1 set but not so much TLW). Definitely reminds me more of the brown Raptors - if you were to put the two utah paint schemes together you'd coincidentally end up with fairly accurate movie Raptors!
Tatu might know, but this one looks like it might be from TLW for PS1.
I don't think so, it's quite different from the PS1 model, which is a lot more streamlined.
Rebel wrote: :lol: Oh, I really laughed my ass off on that response.
:D
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: Unfortunately this level seems to be my attempt at doing perfection in every single little nook n' cranny. However I do have another small project on the side I've worked on a fair bit which might see the light of day before the 22nd Century as it's not as heavily detailed. :wink:
Sounds just like when I decided to use the terrain and assets from the Pens level to make the Fort level... and THAT "small project on the side" eventually grew more complex, too. May I say, "welcome to the club", or is is too early yet? ;)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

As it happens, the new mod I'm cooking up is turning more complex than I thought, even with the original intended set-up. I'll be taking steps to make it less massive.