Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Drac~Test

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sooooo, I've started another test level, since TstScnRld (Test Scene Reloaded) was released and, Tres Reloaded is no longer in progress... This time I've set up the test level into 5 separate zones, similar to the disperate areas of TC's test~zone but so far apart they they'll each be accessible only via teleporter.

I have a few tests in mind for this... First step was to set up the general areas. Once that was finished, I began scripting the computer which will "operate" the level... Yes, a computer scripted entirely in Trespasser. And, as you might have wondered, it IS being built ontop of the control room computer from PV. :statue: The first system to be scripted, just today, was the zone camera view selection (which in turn will be used to target the teleporter). It works about 90% - all the triggers do what they're supposed to but it randomly 'stops going' eventually. Going to use an ingame reset button to fix that, hopefully. Here is a video:

(level released, see below)
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: Drac~Test

Post by tatu »

Ohh nice!

Hope you figure out the random stop issues. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Yeah I'm slightly concerned that it stops so randomly, after 15 or so button pushes. I am concerned about some hidden trigger action limit inside Trespasser that means setups like this will all have that problem...... I'll try a few things.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Seems like a solid idea. I've always wanted to try and program a complex computer in Trespasser but never had the patience. Are you going to release it in iterations?
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Looks pretty cool :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Releasing Drac~Test in iterations is one of the plans. Not going to release a version until there's a significant amount to show, of course. As well, this level is meant to be worked on over time, in small bits. Once I have the zone-teleporter computer working, I'll put the level down for a bit and proceed to the next mod.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey TO, I was just chatting with Slugger and he suggested using the external CE script (pideon?) to improve the Tres in-game computer. Thoughts?
tatu

Post by tatu »

If you can understand it, go for it. It uses the "Squirrel" scripting language: http://www.squirrel-lang.org/
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Eh. The thought of getting into a new scripting language, when trying to stick it in with Tres, discourages me. TI, I don't suppose you have like, an exmample with this script that might spurr involvement? I did learn Visual Basic C# back in the day... I just uh.. Not really trying to learn a new language here. I like what Tres can do.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Unfortunately I don't have many scripts for CE outside of the few RTJP-related ones, those being the Spitter, map/hud (which seems to be the basis for an extended "inventory" system), and Stamina/speed script. I'd love to help but honestly I don't know anything about programming outside of changing the few lines Lee left for me in the scripts.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh alright thanks. Perhaps one day someone will dig into those things who knows what they're doing.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright everyone, discovered what is surely the last level to be released. Drac~Test was far from finished, but a decent amount of scripting work went into the computer and teleporter. The 5 zones you can go to and from are barely developed but would have contained all various tests I had in mind, both to discover basic functions of the engine and find new ways to make it do things. I was going to apply the unused terrain textures from the JR Max Scene folder that Tatu acquired, to demonstrate what an ancient Trespasser environment looked like, but I did not get around to it. Instead it still possesses Lone Hunter terrain textures/foliage, which I think are quite nice-looking. At any rate, I do hope the level is of some interest. Tests which would have been carried out include:
*AI
~3 raptor clans duke it out (3 sep. Teams)
~spinning wood must have obj placed on it, which follows spin, then gets knocked off by barrier into recepticle below, triggering desired/needed event
~ridable dino
~AlwaysFace CAnimal
~Tres Source raptor face texture with CE normalmap

*Physics Test
~admin building from Mystery Models?
~Tennis racket
~test how PointTrigger works
~test HeightRelative in teleports
~test teleport orientation differences for moving Player
~test magnet Drive, such as with CRAY vault, and other CMagnet values
~SUM fuse box
~test CTimerTrigger
~test CSequenceTrigger
*White jeep slide seat magnet
~old IT gas station barrels
~physical Stingenbureau00-00 (drawers? save for shack-desk)
~Query for CMagnets (see PV)
~PV bridge starts in up-position, w/Drive etc.
~CMagnet Enable

*Weapons Test
~JR retail basement colt w/old mf
~ASA human enemy
~CAnimal human enemy
~New weapons (SciFi etc.)
~concrete wall Mystery Model

*Sound Test
~repeating alarms
~unused SPEC sounds

*Environment Test
~JR max scene trnobjs
~separate trunks and leaves
~light rays through canopy
~birds
~insects
~poisonous plants
~lizards
~fish
~PV separate-branch log
~PV22 horizpine
~pickable flower from IJ32 - frozen, pickup detect?, use detect, unfreeze
~alpha channel examples
~Doug Henderson murals https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic. ... 44&t=11545
~Greg Pro murals http://forums.insideuniversal.net/threa ... pro.11144/
Have fun.

https://app.box.com/s/tak7dhkczgcqd2mxc8nzgyllbn0oupdx
TPass141.BMP
TPass141.BMP (1.37 MiB) Viewed 9154 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Are you quitting Trespasser, or what?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Interesting, this'll be neat to explore. Makes me think I should release some of my test levels one day. :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oye, TI! Did you ever get around to exploring this level? I would like to hear your thoughts, when time permits.

And, for those reading and not already aware, I have since reversed my decision and returned to Trespasser modding, after-all. I feel a bit bad for committing such a big turn-around, however it was at the time the best course of action and very important... I now see that I didn't have the sight to understand exactly how inseparable certain things from my past are from who I am now, even WITH the plan to maintain a presence at TresCom anyway.

Along with this, I have re-opened work on Drac~Test. It is now an in-progress level; JPDS~testing, my first real test level, was in its day released in multiple successive versions. It now appears that Drac~Test will possess a similar fate, which I appreciate. In part this has some way of bringing the community into the testing process. This level's purpose is not only to test set-ups for other levels but to reveal the engine's capability in-general.

The first new things I did with this level were to use it as an import bed for new models, while training myself back into Trespasser-modding. I made a new concrete debris structure of no particular intended use, placed in the weapon zone, to get started. I think it turned out alright, and helps remind me that non-accuracy asset creation is capable of creating new, useful models in swiftness. After this, I spent time with the Mystery Models, bringing out the Burroughs concrete wall segments and security-wall piece. These all I converted to Trespasser, applying working textures and physics. I brought in the retail IT physics models for the security area and updated them as needed. The buttons don't work but this is no large issue, as the size and position of the Mystery Model variant is inoperable in practical-Tres terms. As well the BIGLIE graffiti is not present and a MM texture was needed to be paletted accordingly. These objects now present Burroughs town-wall assets in Four-Towers-style building-block style, which I find to be quite potentious. As well, they forward the ongoing endeavor of converting all available Mystery Models into functional and imported Trespasser-form.

After a brief break, I pushed ahead with my desire to bring the JR proto CTerrainObj models/textures into Trespasser. These are the ones I discussed and showed via screenshots in my Tres Re-Exploration thread. After palette-work and a few other details, I brought them successfully inside Drac~Test. I noticed some of the object-ready JR terrain textures were unused by the accompanying Max scenes. The object names range from "TrnObj_JRTableau50-00" to "TrnObj_JRTableau77-00". Different Max scenes, and indeed the retail game, have Tableau01 through 04, but these objects possess textures that ARE early, BUT from a later stage of development (some sort of 'final' step from the early terrain texture phase). As such, there are at least as many as 49 tableau objects unaccounted for, with who knows how many textures.
At any rate, from three Max scenes I imported the proto CTerrainObjs and placed some of them ingame. They are, I believe, QUITE beautiful, despite that they may tile less well or have images which scale incorrectly with the other assets.
ProtoTrnObjs01.jpg
ProtoTrnObjs01.jpg (241.85 KiB) Viewed 8636 times
ProtoTrnObjs02.jpg
ProtoTrnObjs02.jpg (345.22 KiB) Viewed 8636 times
ProtoTrnObjs03.jpg
ProtoTrnObjs03.jpg (748.98 KiB) Viewed 8636 times
...Alas, I realized something a bit doom-ing. I had already plans to bring my future personally-created new foliage and rock assets into Drac~Test as they are made, into the environment testing zone. It follows that my simultaneous progress on new terrain textures, similarly created from local Earth-reality references, should be placed along with them. I -do not- feel like making Drac~Test home to both the proto-Tres CTerrainObjs and my newly created ones... These each belong in separate places, domining entirely over the level(s) they are in. : /

As such, I will soon be removing these JR terrain textures from my test level. I am at least glad to have move forward with bringing them up the well, so that they have made it into Tres, in some cases perhaps for the first time. As well, I do intend that some future level of mine should include these objects, and so I won't be releasing them yet. I do not in fact have plans to re-create proto Tres foliage assets from pre-release images; I have had such plans in the past, but at this time there is no purpose or creative space for such things. Maybe one day. In the meantime, the terrain awaits.