Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Pine Escape

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks for the comments, all. I continue to mod on and off. I think I'll be spending a lot of time with Tres over the Winter when outdoor stop-motion is mostly out-of-the-question. TI, your comments are helpful, I'll try to remember that in future. I do agree we ought to recommend low draw-distance CE settings for level stability. :)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Thanks for the comments, all. I continue to mod on and off. I think I'll be spending a lot of time with Tres over the Winter when outdoor stop-motion is mostly out-of-the-question. TI, your comments are helpful, I'll try to remember that in future. I do agree we ought to recommend low draw-distance CE settings for level stability. :)
I'm not 100% certain whether this works or not, but your fm.ini file can override any Trespasser.ini setting that you put in it. So for instance if you need to ensure that players keep their draw distance down, you can add CacheMinDist= to your file and it should force it to maintain whatever number you punch in there, regardless of whether the player has it set to anything higher in the trespasser.ini.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Aha I forgot about that, thanks.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Helloooo everyone. Bad news is my state has started a stay-at-home order, where I have no internet! But damnit, I have a last-minute mod for those of you with 'net to play in the meantime. I started this a while ago.. and uh, I spent a bit of time brushing dust off and making it presentable, and I'd say it's nearly finished anyway. Were I more interested in it I might have spiced it up a bit more, but anyway, it's a neat little pine mod that should entertain for a few minutes. Nothing too fancy. There were originally more pines in it but in consideration of the transparency overlap issue I toned that down a wee bit. 'Nyways, have fun, let me know what you think -

https://app.box.com/s/6vjl7fc33eas797e6gznc1g95v4bjpb5
PE02.jpg
PE02.jpg (266.58 KiB) Viewed 5749 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Finished up the level a few hours ago and wrote a short review, however my troubles with the site (getting logged out) erased a solid 20 minutes of typing...really don't want to type that again, but in short, I like the level for what it is. Nice, short and simplistic - it was what I was in the mood for today. I'd give it a 3.5/5, probably could have made it up to a 4 or 4.5 if it had been a little bit more refined and polished, but with the intent of this level in mind, I think that's just fine. :)
Nice use of my pines, by the way, although those pines aren't really the sort you'd find in the tropics where Isla Sorna is located - that's what the redwoods are for.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Interesting - glad ya liked it. I do wonder generally what people think of the starting area. It is in a way the main theme of 5he level, a small area choked full of object detail with AI threatening as you go. And well for the pines, I just like them... I do have an unfinished mod with tons of the giant ones, but that'll take more time before it's released.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Interesting - glad ya liked it. I do wonder generally what people think of the starting area. It is in a way the main theme of 5he level, a small area choked full of object detail with AI threatening as you go.
I like the clustered starting area, wish we could see that more often. We don't get that often in Trespasser levels. I think it could be achieved more frequently in levels by selecting "important" areas which would have higher detail like that, while leaving the areas which are further from important places at a lower level of detail.
The AI attacking you from behind clutter in a dense area is the sort of thing I'd wanted to do with Tres HD, using the jungle itself as an obstacle. Those big bushes were chosen specifically as they can obscure things up to the bottom of the jungle canopy.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Right? It looks great. Added layer of difficulty. LostJungle2 tries the underbrush approach...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

As far as I'm concerned, anything to make the AI more dangerous is a positive thing. It never felt right to be sniping sleeping Raptors from 100m away in AS1 - it's a lot more interesting when by the time you notice they're there, they're already on top of you.
Draconisaurus wrote:LostJungle2 tries the underbrush approach...
And LostJungle3? :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Waiting for Klayton to film it. He's having trouble getting Tres to work after he installed Christmas Crisis.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Waiting for Klayton to film it. He's having trouble getting Tres to work after he installed Christmas Crisis.
So...it's a Youtubers-first level? :cry: Guess I'd better go make some Let's Play videos so I can get in on your levels early.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Haha that actually sounds pretty fun...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Haha that actually sounds pretty fun...
Maybe I'll record some Trespasser when I get the time later this summer...I'd do it right now, but I need to loan a decent microphone from a friend. I've also always wanted to showcase a "complete" playthrough of JPDS without missing anything or getting lost - sort of an informative run using all of the knowledge you've given me. I actually recorded a commentated, semi-informative (but mostly just me making fun of everything) playthrough of Trespasser last summer, but then Youtube decided it wanted to take 4 days to upload just the first 15-minute video, and I gave up. :?

Anyway...looking forward to the release! I've been so bored at home due to the coronavirus thing that I've gone back and played the other two LostJungle maps multiple times in anticipation of this one.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Haha awesome. Also I have almost finished a totally new level called mountain valley, very OG Tres with new voiceovers and complex puzzles...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hey, Drac, I just finished playing this level in about ~20 minutes. Made 10 savegames but didn't need to reload, fortunately.

You know how you're always saying that the re-enabled ActionTypes in Tres CE don't allow for jumps like the jetpack-propelled dinos in ATX? Well, one of your raptors just jumped over the fence at the start all the way to the other side (where it met its demise a short while later), and one of the savegames I made was right after it had jumped over it... (it would have been interesting to make it while it was up in the air mid-jump, but stilll...)

Are the magnets for some things (car engines, truck ramp) accidentally broken, or was that deliberate?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files