Pine Valley - Fixed Up Version

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: Pine Valley - Fixed Up Version

Post by LCountach »

"Occlusion Objects"? I am familiar with the sub-objects that are used for the physics of objects. I did resize those. I even tried removing them altogether. That didn't work. However, I am not familiar with "Occlusion Objects". Can TresEd edit those? Are they something different other than the physics objects? The word occlusion does make sense. It does seem like the game is trying to cull the polys as if something is in front of them. Here is a quick and dirty screencap of what I am seeing. I just loaded up a working backup. Then I shrunk the building a bit and removed the physics objects. Just to make sure they weren't causing the problem. The glitch and/or occlusion is only happening when I get close. Then it does start to cull polys as if something is occluding them. How do I go about editing "Occlusion Objects"?
Attachments
Glitch.jpg
Glitch.jpg (126.68 KiB) Viewed 7354 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Enable Occlusion objects in TresEd (under "Visibility") and you'll see them...
(if you can't see them, it's because they are inside the walls, so try making the "regular" objects invisible...)
And no, physics objects are a different thing altogether.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

Thanks a lot! I never knew they were there.
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

Another question. I have been going through the older beta builds of the Lab looking for removed items that would be interesting to add back in. I have added the hinge/magnet back to the electrical panel where the capacitors plugged in. This will allow the player to open the door to see whats inside. I have also added the Toy Oil Pump / Scale back in the same room. I am wondering how far to go with this. Seeing as the capacitor puzzle was never implemented. Would adding back the capacitors themselves and the capacitor chart be too much? Possibly even confusing to the player?
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

I don't even know if the script for that puzzle is properly/working implemented but you could do it a bit at least, allowing the people to "find" the capacitors around the computer building (for fun) and just place them in the panel.
While I guess the scale might work I am not sure how buggy it will be. Not to mention the scripting :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

I got the capacitor puzzle to work, sort of (build 55 I think?). I was able to "place" (read: teleport) a blue capacitor in the electrical panel. It was (shocker, there) very glitchy though, and most of the time it wouldn't work at all.
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

Hilwo wrote:I got the capacitor puzzle to work, sort of (build 55 I think?). I was able to "place" (read: teleport) a blue capacitor in the electrical panel. It was (shocker, there) very glitchy though, and most of the time it wouldn't work at all.
You are correct about the blue capacitor. One of them is scripted to plug into the panel. Unfortunately, none of the others are. It also doesn't seem to have any scripting/influence on opening the door or booting up the super computer.

For fun, I think I can make the rest of the capacitors plug into the panel in their proper places. Unfortunately I am not skilled enough to make them do anything beyond that. I also dont know for sure what the devs intended for them to do. I believe we as the player are meant to use the scale to deduce their value based on their weight and the chart. This leads me to believe the blue capacitor plugs into 75 and not above the 25 socket as it does in build 55. I think that location was just a place holder until they worked out the scripting. Either way, we would just be plugging them for fun and no other reason. That is why I am hesitant to add them. If someone doesn't know this. They could spend hours trying to solve a puzzle that doesn't do anything. I also fear hiding them around the building may cause more confusion. There are 12 sockets and only 5 capacitors. Again if the player doesn't know this. They may spend hours again trying to find 12 capacitors.

I think I will put the 5 capacitors somewhat close together like they are in build 55. And perhaps add in a note in the readme that they plug in but dont do anything else.
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

I think I found one of the many reasons the devs didn't implement the capacitors puzzle. Trespasser seems to have trouble placing them at the correct height. It gets the rotation and horizontal placement correct when plugged in. Height however is random each time a capacitor is placed. I am sure this would apply to any item placed with the same method they used. I think something more complex would need to be done for their teleport placement method to work. Ohh well. I think I will leave it so people can see what might have been.
Attachments
Capacitors.jpg
Capacitors.jpg (162.83 KiB) Viewed 7324 times
tatu

Post by tatu »

You can script it to work in a way how you would make sure the bridges would only work after getting the GeoPlant to work.

As for the position - that can be fixed by using an invisible physics that looks exactly like the capacitor to place it correctly. Like how the Dam gate door works :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

tatu wrote:You can script it to work in a way how you would make sure the bridges would only work after getting the GeoPlant to work.

As for the position - that can be fixed by using an invisible physics that looks exactly like the capacitor to place it correctly. Like how the Dam gate door works :)
Honestly I am not knowledgeable enough to set up a script sequence to make it work like the bridges at the GeoPlant. I have looked at that setup and found it a bit to complicated for me to understand. Also to add it into the already immensely complex mess of triggers boxes under the Lab is hugely confusing. I was thinking of trying something like what you suggested but... I couldn't even find the script cube for the Cray's power switch.

Unfortunately the position is already set up by invisible physics that looks exactly like the capacitor. That is how the devs set it up for the blue and I just copied it for the other colors. They have an invisible copy of the blue capacitor that is used as a teleport point and scripted for for "SetPosition" and "SetOrientation". That picture above is from TresEd showing the invisible physics objects I used as teleport points. I struggled with it for a couple hours trying to understand the problem and fix it but I could not unfortunately.

I'll will take a look at the dam's gate door to see if it's different and can help out.
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

Tatu many thanks for the tip about the dam! The script there was very similar to what the devs did with the capacitors. However at the damn, they used "HeightRelative = false" instead of "SetPosition = true" and "SetOrientation = true". That did the trick!

Now... I still need to find the trigger cube for the Cray boot sequence when the switch is hit and figure out how the GeoPlant bridges power up. Any help with that would be appreciated.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

¿The GeoPlant bridges? You only have to shoot at them so that they fall down...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

machf wrote:¿The GeoPlant bridges? You only have to shoot at them so that they fall down...
There are two bridges at the plant near the gates. There are two more electric powered bridges on the road after the plant. Those later two electric bridges only work after the player brings the GeoPlant back online. I think those are the bridges Tatu is referring to. Copying the scripting that requires the multistep GeoPlant puzzle to be completed for the electric powered bridges to work. That could be applied to the capacitor puzzle to enable the main power switch for the Cray to work. I think that is the goal Tatu suggested. At least that's what I am thinking.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Oh, those other two AFTER the plant...
tatu

Post by tatu »

LCountach wrote:
machf wrote:¿The GeoPlant bridges? You only have to shoot at them so that they fall down...
There are two bridges at the plant near the gates. There are two more electric powered bridges on the road after the plant. Those later two electric bridges only work after the player brings the GeoPlant back online. I think those are the bridges Tatu is referring to. Copying the scripting that requires the multistep GeoPlant puzzle to be completed for the electric powered bridges to work. That could be applied to the capacitor puzzle to enable the main power switch for the Cray to work. I think that is the goal Tatu suggested. At least that's what I am thinking.
Yep. My thought for those bridges have always been to have a trigger that checks if the GeoPlant puzzle is finished or not (basically one that checks if the final thing you need to do is "true"), and that would make the bridges work by either setting the trigger that lowers them only work IF the trigger mention is "true". Basically the same would apply to the computer puzzle. Having the script checking that all capacitors are in place and then the trigger to activate the door would be able to activate. :)

And as for the GeoPlant puzzles. I've forgot if you mention you got it working or not, but I have the same thought about that. If looking at the board, the arrows I believe shows in which way you should be able to activate it. I would use a trigger system that basically checks if the puzzle required is finished.
So, first you would need to do the Wellhead puzzle, and the trigger for the Turbine puzzle would include the script to check that the Wellhead puzzle have been done (by checking if that trigger is true or false) before the player can do it etc. I am not sure I am explaining it very good, it is not among my good skills :P