Pine Valley - Fixed Up Version

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: Pine Valley - Fixed Up Version

Post by LCountach »

tatu wrote:Export the base raptor (Usually named RaptorA/RaptorB/RaptorC etc). Replace those textures from another retail level of the same raptor, import it again by only replacing the base mesh and replace the textures.
That did the trick! I do have a question about it though. Will that keep the BumpMaps intact. I remember reading something about exporting and importing dinos breaks their BumpMaps.
tatu wrote:That indicates a missing sound. It is possible it is only present in Build 96 TPA and playing it without ATX and CE will not use those.
Unfortunately that basketball sound seems to play even with the Build 96 TPA files. Also with ATX combining the retail and B96 TPA together. Not really sure the fix for this.
tatu wrote:As you need to start the power grid (with the levers and buttons) it should only play after that. I haven't taken a close look at it yet so I can't say much how to fix it.
Ok, I'll poke around with the abient sound by the water pump/pool. I know that sound only plays after turning the valve located outside the compound. Maybe I can figure something out.

Thanks for the help!
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

That did the trick! I do have a question about it though. Will that keep the BumpMaps intact. I remember reading something about exporting and importing dinos breaks their BumpMaps.
It shouldn't, as long as you are still using the original PV SWP and PID, that way the bumpmaps are still in there and works. However, you can use a function in CE that would allow you to place the bumpmaps in a folder instead. I have never done that but it is part of the texture HD replacement thing you can use :)
Unfortunately that basketball sound seems to play even with the Build 96 TPA files. Also with ATX combining the retail and B96 TPA together. Not really sure the fix for this.
I just took a look and it appears it is related to the Triceratops vocal triggers. They use several ones that are not in either 96 or retail. I suggest replacing them (import and replace mesh) by ones from the retail, that should fix it. Search for "VocalTriceratops" to find them. I would actually suggest replacing every vocal trigger in PV with the ones from the retail as there are some missing vocal triggers in PV :)
Ok, I'll poke around with the abient sound by the water pump/pool. I know that sound only plays after turning the valve located outside the compound. Maybe I can figure something out.
Hopefully! What should work is a trigger that checks if you have completed the power grid puzzle and then play that sound. In my mind I have an easy setup for it but I couldn't really explain it but I plan to at some point take a look at PV myself :)

Not sure you fixed it: The control board/wall monitor in the Control room, the bottom right have the wrong icon "SReinjectionStatusPanel-00". However, you should be able to get the correct one from Build 55 or earlier I believe :)

Happy to help! As someone who loves the original levels it is really nice seeing someone else putting a lot of work into them :)

Also about the terrain in PV: I now understand what you mean and I have no idea why it is different in-game. I have never experienced that but interesting!
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:
It shouldn't, as long as you are still using the original PV SWP and PID, that way the bumpmaps are still in there and works. However, you can use a function in CE that would allow you to place the bumpmaps in a folder instead. I have never done that but it is part of the texture HD replacement thing you can use :)
When GeomAdd asks if you want to replace existing textures, answer "no". The teeth don't use bumpmaps, so you're safe if you only replace those...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

I tested to see if the BumpMaps were intact after importing a raptor from another retail level. My test was to load up the game in Direct3D mode. That mode applies texture filtering to all textures without BumpMaps and renders the bumped textures in software mode (Pixelated). Unfortunately the BumpMaps do indeed disappear.

Next I tried importing the raptor and saying "no" to replacing the textures. That caused a crash when loading the level.

Next I tried importing the raptor with only the mouth textures in the import folder. I thought maybe the model would perhaps just grab the textures already there. That didn't work. GeomAdd complained about the missing textures. The level crashed trying to load it.

I guess I am doing something wrong. I am at a loss.

I was not aware the icon "SReinjectionStatusPanel-00" was incorrect. I will have a look at build 55 to see if it is there. If not, I may be able to grab it from the sign outside.
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

I was doing some more testing with the BumpMap problem. It didn't work but... I did have a raptor kill me. When the raptor began to eat me. The same basketball sound played. Is that still a Triceratops sound issue? I haven't looked into those yet.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

LCountach wrote:I tested to see if the BumpMaps were intact after importing a raptor from another retail level. My test was to load up the game in Direct3D mode. That mode applies texture filtering to all textures without BumpMaps and renders the bumped textures in software mode (Pixelated). Unfortunately the BumpMaps do indeed disappear.
Hmmm... was there a raptor with the same textures already in the level you were importing to? And did you check the "Convert texture names to form..." box before importing the new one?
Next I tried importing the raptor and saying "no" to replacing the textures. That caused a crash when loading the level.
Hmmm, that's odd, if the textures were already there and had the same name... unless GeomAdd is checking for the name as a string and not the hash.
Next I tried importing the raptor with only the mouth textures in the import folder. I thought maybe the model would perhaps just grab the textures already there. That didn't work. GeomAdd complained about the missing textures. The level crashed trying to load it.
Try importing a dummy mesh with a different name and ONLY the textures you want to add. A cube, for example.

I guess I am doing something wrong. I am at a loss.
Try what I just said.

I was not aware the icon "SReinjectionStatusPanel-00" was incorrect. I will have a look at build 55 to see if it is there. If not, I may be able to grab it from the sign outside.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

I didn't know replacing the texture would ruin the bumpmap if it was already in the SWP, but it updates the PID entries so I can see how.

For the sound: I only checked the T-Rex and Triceratops vocal triggers, the T-Rex one had the same as the one in IT retail but the Triceratops one didn't. It is very likely it can be an issue for the other dinosaurs as well.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, Rebel described this some time ago:

viewtopic.php?p=119012#p119012

All the herbivores have some vocal cubes missing, for some reason, when they should have kept them too... that's the reason for the basketball sound.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Oh I see. All I mainly remember with the vocal cubes are that the Triceratops (or was it the Stego?) in JR is using several T-Rex sounds :P

LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

Update on the BumpMap issue. I tried the suggestion to making a cube and export it. I then copied the raptor mouth textures into the exported cube's folder. When importing the cube, GeomAdd didn't recognize the textures were even in the folder, Thus no textures were updated. I then tried opening the .TPM file in notepad. I could see there was a material entry. I edited the material to use one of the raptors textures. Importing the cube imported/replaced 1 texture. I did that for every mouth texture. Unfortunately when I tested it ingame. The mouth textures were still rainbows.
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

That link you shared machf was right on! In the thread Rebel said the "Tear" vocal cubes were missing. The problem in Pine Valley is also exactly that. I imported a set of those "Tear" cubes and things sound correct now. Thanks for the help!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

LCountach wrote:Update on the BumpMap issue. I tried the suggestion to making a cube and export it. I then copied the raptor mouth textures into the exported cube's folder. When importing the cube, GeomAdd didn't recognize the textures were even in the folder, Thus no textures were updated. I then tried opening the .TPM file in notepad. I could see there was a material entry. I edited the material to use one of the raptors textures. Importing the cube imported/replaced 1 texture. I did that for every mouth texture. Unfortunately when I tested it ingame. The mouth textures were still rainbows.
Did they use the same name as the texture used by the original dinosaurs? If you correctly replaced it with the new one with the same name, it should have appeared...
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

machf wrote:Did they use the same name as the texture used by the original dinosaurs? If you correctly replaced it with the new one with the same name, it should have appeared...
Yes same name. I agree they should have appeared.

I even thought it may have been down to the GeomAdd option "Convert texture names from "Map\<LevelName>\<FileName.bmp>"

Example:
material "RaptorB.mat09"
{
colormap = "Map\pv\Araptor09t2.bmp"
opacitymap = "Map\pv\Araptor09o8.bmp"
bumpmap = "Map\pv\Araptor09b8.bmp"
}

material "RaptorB.mat09"
{
colormap = "Map\lab\Araptor09t2.bmp"
opacitymap = "Map\lab\Araptor09o8.bmp"
bumpmap = "Map\lab\Araptor09b8.bmp"
}

The idea that "lab" VS "pv" was important didn't pan out unfortunately. Preserving the names and/or having the correct names made no difference. I am stumped.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hmmm... so the teeth ARE using a bumpmap too?

GeomAdd is known for being unable to import bumpmaps... maybe for this you should use the old SWPadd tool. And just replace the bumpmap itself.
(Of course, you need to previously have extracted it from a level with the right one it using TresEd...)
Make sure you do the replacement on the original .swp file (I hope you kept a copy) and not the one you've been attempting to update already, as the bumpmaps on that one are already gone...

An alternative is to just remove the "bumpmap = " entry from the .tpm file altogether, and import the teeth with only a texture map and an opacity map...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf, LC, this issue has to do with GeomAdd not knowing what all textures are already in the SWP file. Basically I didn't see that the mouth texture was already there and just made a new one. That box import method was the best one that I can think of; I believe your only alternative is to import the whole raptor, erasing the bump (normal) maps.
However, you can use Trespasser CE to add custom bumpmaps. Ask machf or TheIdiot on how to do that, it's not a method I employ.