Respond, if you're alive....(project update/models)

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Respond, if you're alive....(project update/models)

Post by Rebel »

<insert inspiring speech here>

How 'bout a hello here? There's been a total of 2 posts in here during the past two weeks. We're not communicating enough!

:no:
Last edited by Rebel on Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Well, I planned to model the SS Venture next week (no school, vacation! :) ) and if possible start on the crater building complex.

Didn't have much time to work on the level after school, so I spend those scarce free minutes on my game engine & editor.

I did draw some nice maps for the interiors of the ship during boring classes, so I only have to model the thing. Found some really cool metal textures a week ago. Also did some research and found a few nice pics of a rusty stranded ship, will use those as reference. This location is gonna look real cool. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Now, that's nice communicating thar, Rem. lol I realize that you've been busy, it's just nice to hear from the gang. ;)

Sounds good, the modelling stuff mentioned above. Is that concept art you're referring to? Although getting the SSVenture would be a killer, if you created the crater lab complex first that'd probably give me an opportunity to work on that building and organize the layout of the crater while you continued work on the Venture. Then again, if you're off from school next week, tacklin' the Venture while you have ample time may be the better route.

Whatever you think best. I came up with a set of elevator controls (link below), but I don't really like them. The buttons themselves aren't bad, but hate the color scheme. Figure we're not going to be using these, but I'm using them as a template so I can finish up the scripts.

http://www.trespasserextras.com/images/elevcon.jpg
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Actually those buttons don't look bad at all. Whenever you think you got the panel done, send me the textures/models and I'll touch em up a bit. :)

Uploaded an early render of the ship:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/ssventure.jpg

Sure, I can model the crater buildings first. The main structure is basicly build up of modules, most of them are the same anyway so they can be copied, stacked. Later I can model stuff like the equipment, doors windows etc.

I'll see what I can come up with, so you can go in an put those models in place.

I think I'll also upload the terrain objects/textures I got in place so far. The terrain near the beaches might need some serious editing (beaches are too steep at some places), I'll leave that up to you. I think it's much easier (or faster) in some cases to match the terrain shape to the terrain objects instead of the other way around.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Dang, that ship render looks downright cool, Rem. 8) No disagreements; that locale is going to rock. It looks like the Venture! Are you going to create a breakaway section in the hull for our explosion entry?

If the lab complex resembles your artwork, gonna love it. That tower on top is a nice touch too. ;) If you supplied me with the texture wanted, I could probably model the doors. I'd like to set up some breakable glass in this building. Static glass works well with about eight pieces or so, but adding glass to moveable doors doesn't work so well. You can't break it, regardless of mag settings. I placed a piece of glass in the elevator complex door, but added a grate around it to make it appear bulletproof.

I could send you those buttons, panel if you wanted. I set the buttons up as animated (of course), right side lighting up upon touch.

http://www.trespasserextras.com/ebuttons.ZIP

Was going through those recently posted trespasser sites. That one dreamworks pic makes a good sign. Don't know if we could use it, but....

http://www.trespasserextras.com/images/sign2.jpg
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Sure, I'll take a look at it Rebel.

Not sure the sign fit the level, but we can slip it in somewhere as sort of an easter egg...

I realised that the simplicity of the crater lab complex modules also makes it easier and faster to model. Here are some renders:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/craterlab1.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/craterlab2.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/craterlab3.jpg

As you can see I'm sticking quite close to the concept art drawing. Communication tower looks a bit odd without the texture opacity maps. The top module is supposed to be some sort of observation room, looking out over the fences and cages.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Damn, those renders look terrific, Remdul! :) Do I like it? Hell, Yes! lol

Did you just do this today? That's amazing.....

*Don't need to use that sign, I was just bored. In fact, maybe I'll
just upload it onto the fan section at TresCom. If anyone wants to use it, they can --
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Well, actually yeah. Took me less than one hour to create the lab. Sometimes I amaze myself just as much as I might amaze you guys. ;)

But again, it's a pretty simple model, and I really got the hang of modeling this kinda stuff. Will be creating some textures for it tomorrow, and upload it along the terrain object/textures. That'll keep you away from beer and women Rebel. ;)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Remdul wrote:That'll keep you away from beer and women Rebel. ;)
:lol:

Well, I'm in a dry spell (with women) lately, but I'm still having a
beer as I type this!

Geez, one hour? You Da man. 8)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

:lol:

Uploaded terrain objects:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/terraobj.zip

Doesn't include all terrain objects I got in place because it would simply take way too much time selecting them (will upload the other objs later). Instead I exported the base terrain textures (grass) and the beach textures. First terrain object (rocks) is included as well to get the color palette right.

I think it would be best to go along the shoreline and level the terrain to match the sand texture, roughly at an 20 degree angle. If it leaves gaps between the terrain and the ocean objects; no problem. Once all terrain editing is done I'll import the terrain as model into 3dsmax, in which I can automaticly generate new ocean objects that fit the terrain seamlessly.

Started texturing the lab models:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/craterlab4.jpg
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Lookin' good, Martijn. Nice color selection as well, quite natural in
appearance. :)

Gonna give the textures a look. Good to know that you can tweak
the ocean objects later, won't concern myself with them then --

*Very nice textures. In particular, the grass is downright purty.
Sand texture fits nicely as well, though if you have no objections,
I think I'll create a smaller sand trn_obj with opacity map, similar
to the dirt patches, to add a little natural irregularity where the
sand meets the grasses.

Something like below:

http://www.trespasserextras.com/images/sand.jpg

Dock looks beautiful with the sand around it. ;)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Great Rebel. I planned to create a texture for that but that looks excelent. :)

I also have a few brown grass textures, and some other grass variations with dirt and rock. Like I said, will upload them later as I think that only the beaches will require a lot of work already...

If you want you can also put some of the Hawaii palms along the shores.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Beyond the palms, what are your plans for other trees, Rem? Once you upload the remaining ground textures that you have, I'll begin the landscaping process, but I somewhat need an inventory to work with since I don't want to put one tree in, then find out that it needs to be replaced. Honestly, I'm rather sick of the trees in Tres and never particularly cared for the way the trunks were modelled. Quite plain.. .. no roots. Bizarre. I like those palms we used in tc, but the ones that dreamworks used in the beach level are downright ugly!

My plan was, is, to start landscaping at the lighthouse, work down along the shores and up along the ridges, gradually working my way down into the mainland of the Island where palms would give way to larger, more jungle like trees such as the render of your new tree. I assume we'll be using canopy trees especially for the waterfall area to support our rainfall.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Yep, I do agree with that. Maybe it's a good idea to touch up every single model afterall. Add polygons where necessary, touch up the textures. I didn't like the big jungle trees either, those will be replaced.

Never mind, I'll get to the trees 'n plants later, let's get the other stuff in place first. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Okeedok, then. I'm touching up the sand edges right now. I have to say, Rem, these textures you created are killers. The level looks unbelievably beautiful as of now. In a week or two, we're going to have some downright purty screenshots to show off. ;)

*The two palm trees used in tc.level i think are fine. I also like the palm sprouts that we used (same as shown in t-shirt pic) and picking out rocks to use shouldn't be too much of a problem from the assortment available to use, though I imagine we'll have some special rocks for around the lighthouse cliffs below. Just those damn canopy trees --