JPDS - The Lost Files

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

JPDS - The Lost Files

Post by Draconisaurus »

Over the years, certain JPDS artifacts such as photos in old threads have gone missing, often from imageshack's notoriousness for disappearing images. Was digging around in that account today and discovered a number of things which were believed to be missing and gone for all time... Thought I'd start a thread to collect some of them in one place.

First off... The infamous BioSyn logo. I created it back in the day in 3DS Max, using a some modifiers on a crudely constructed model of deoxyribonucleic acid. I thought sure all we had left was its tiny appearances on textures in JPDS, but the original has been found:
biosynlogo01.jpg
biosynlogo01.jpg (27.05 KiB) Viewed 16236 times
Multiple pieces of JPDS concept art were scattered through my account, some of which I thought were lost:
Aviary Map
Aviary Map
aviarymap00.jpg (47.64 KiB) Viewed 16236 times
"Sorna Fence Complex"
"Sorna Fence Complex"
sornafencecomplex03.jpg (117.28 KiB) Viewed 16236 times
As a note, the Sorna Fence Complex was designd to look like a dinosaur skull...

As perhaps only a few know/remember, JPDS was originally to have a full-body female player model. Sadly my work on this was lost during production and I never restarted it.
Tasha Model Render 25
Tasha Model Render 25
tasharend25.jpg (14.47 KiB) Viewed 16236 times
Tasha Model Render 26
Tasha Model Render 26
tasharend26.jpg (13.67 KiB) Viewed 16236 times
Found this screenshot of the JPOG rigged spino which was reserved for JPDS by SI (and machf?), however the spino's appearance in the game was slated for JPDS2 and 3, the area/gameplay of which did not make it to the final 2011 release. Does anyone know where this boy ran off to?
tpass093.jpg
tpass093.jpg (89.6 KiB) Viewed 16236 times
And finally, just-because... Found this ancient screenshot of TresCom forums, back when firefox was still a thing and a bazillion toolbars was all-the-rage...
screen09.jpg
screen09.jpg (76.17 KiB) Viewed 16236 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: JPDS - The Lost Files

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:
Found this screenshot of the JPOG rigged spino which was reserved for JPDS by SI (and machf?), however the spino's appearance in the game was slated for JPDS2 and 3, the area/gameplay of which did not make it to the final 2011 release. Does anyone know where this boy ran off to?
tpass093.jpg
I think I may still have it lying around. Why?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well, the two spinos you guys released for xmas that one year are great, have put one in a level myself, but they are sort of extreme versions; the JPOG one is sort of the essential "vanilla" spino, more suited to JP-universe recreations... Would be beneficial to have it in the Tres Animal Archive.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yes, we did that so that he other one would be kept for JPDS...

I can't remember right now if S.I. did an improved texture for it... (closer to the movie than the original JPOG one)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I seem to remember a version of the Spino texture by him, where he used the famous side-profile JP/// promotional image of the spino as a basis. I remember it being pretty fuzzy tho. At any rate, if it's around someplace...

...MikeTheRaptor has been digging up old JPDS stuff of his own and found THIS beauty, thought to be forever lost:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
...The legit, original, full (concept) map of JPDS1/2/3, showing the whole damn thing as it was intended to be at that time. As you can see, this map would have taken roughly 19.5 years to complete, at the pace achieved for JPDS1...

The infamous JP toy dimetrodon model I finished, as well my first attempt to rig a creature in TPDC... Never got it to work, and to this date machf's own Dimetro is unreleased...
Click on Image
The old JPDS Website hosted by Mike:
Click on Image
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:
The infamous JP toy dimetrodon model I finished, as well my first attempt to rig a creature in TPDC... Never got it to work, and to this date machf's own Dimetro is unreleased...
Click on Image
It will be released
Spoiler: show
once the Pens is out, as it is included in it...
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Hey, Draco, is this what you're looking for?
Spoiler: show
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wmwynp3k8n1bngv/Spino.zip
Awesome stuff by the way. It's like finding ancient manuscripts practically :lol: I especially like the full JPDS map. JPDS 2 looked like the most interesting level in terms of exploration. I always wanted to see what kind of monstrosities Rogue Faction had created and put in the HSP :P
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Ah TresGuy, that is the one machf was referring to, redone using the JP/// promo image. I recall now that it was released. Thanks - this will go in the Tres Animal Archive. However I still think the OG Spino is worth having around; the more vivid coloring seems to have something about it.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I have a version of the JP3 spino which I made using the Xmas Gift level as a base, if anyone wants it. It was made before CE and therefore doesn't have hi-res textures.

This is some really cool stuff, by the way. I'm really glad to finally have the BioSyn logo, will be using that in RTJP for sure. Also really cool map, I finally see the entire picture here...bit of a shame we never got to see the rest of the island, especially JPDS2, which seemed to be full of cool places to explore. I do however notice that JPDS3 would have been a bit barren of locations compared to the other levels...what exactly was slated for the areas in-between (if you can recall)?
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:This is some really cool stuff, by the way. I'm really glad to finally have the BioSyn logo, will be using that in RTJP for sure. Also really cool map, I finally see the entire picture here...bit of a shame we never got to see the rest of the island, especially JPDS2, which seemed to be full of cool places to explore. I do however notice that JPDS3 would have been a bit barren of locations compared to the other levels...what exactly was slated for the areas in-between (if you can recall)?
JPDS follows Trespasser's route ;) First section (JPDS1): Oh, some nice locations (BE-IJ). Middle part (JPDS2): Oh, look at this, amazing, I love this (IT-LAB). Third: Oh, this is so empty, nothing interesting to find... (AS-SUM).
;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Haha Tatu :lol:

TI, the only thing really missing from that map (which has several things I decided later not to include) is the Mayan ruins in the West area of JPDS3. No plans were made for in-between space; back then I really did not have an appreciation for space in Trespasser which in part resulted in JPDS1 needing to have all kinds space filled for it to get done and ultimately leave out the second two thirds of the game... For example I should not have included the HRS (as nice a location as that is) and just worked on the EA in that time.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Haha Tatu :lol:

TI, the only thing really missing from that map (which has several things I decided later not to include) is the Mayan ruins in the West area of JPDS3. No plans were made for in-between space; back then I really did not have an appreciation for space in Trespasser which in part resulted in JPDS1 needing to have all kinds space filled for it to get done and ultimately leave out the second two thirds of the game... For example I should not have included the HRS (as nice a location as that is) and just worked on the EA in that time.
I see. Still, it looks like you kept the big locations spread out enough that finding each would still have been pretty interesting.

I noticed your map doesn't include the Plains, hunter camp, or the train station/tracks. When did you decide to include those, and how would the train tracks have fit into that map of yours?

Also would be kind of neat to see your HSP map merged into the Isla Sorna map, to see the "complete" thing. :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

The Plains was added later... An ongoing goal during JPDS production was to introduce elements of original Trespasser which had failed to manifest in the final game, such as the swamp planks and plains. Modifications were made to the original JPDS plan to accomplish this. Thinking of it, even the rail road was one such.

The rail road station was added to the East side of the Worker Village at some point... It's hard to recall but I think you would either enter the JPDS3 area through the gate or the railroad (in addition to JPDS3R of course). The track was to go more or less directly to the South from there, straight to the main dock. The Mayan Ruins would have been visible en route. Still want to do that rail scene sometime.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

The Plains was added later... An ongoing goal during JPDS production was to introduce elements of original Trespasser which had failed to manifest in the final game, such as the swamp planks and plains. Modifications were made to the original JPDS plan to accomplish this. Thinking of it, even the rail road was one such.
I don't remember ever hearing anything of a railroad in the original Trespasser plans, though I do seem to remember reading about a planned railroad in Trespasser Reloaded.
The rail road station was added to the East side of the Worker Village at some point... It's hard to recall but I think you would either enter the JPDS3 area through the gate or the railroad (in addition to JPDS3R of course). The track was to go more or less directly to the South from there, straight to the main dock. The Mayan Ruins would have been visible en route. Still want to do that rail scene sometime.
Hmm, and you might even be able to pull off the railroad thing using ASA animations, because it seems that ASA animations might support physics after all, although to what degree I'm not sure...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:
I don't remember ever hearing anything of a railroad in the original Trespasser plans, though I do seem to remember reading about a planned railroad in Trespasser Reloaded.
There are a couple early screenshots/renderings that show tracks in front of a gate...