Trespasser: Isla Sorna (PLSUM Preview 1)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser: Isla Sorna (PH2IT Pre-Release Release)

Post by tatu »

Rebel wrote:I'm still having trouble with my internet connection, but I'm going to try and download it now.
Let me know if you're having issue, and I'll send you a smaller package. At the moment it comes with the retail TPAs, so people don't have to manual do stuff to make it work :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

tatu wrote:Let me know if you're having issue, and I'll send you a smaller package. At the moment it comes with the retail TPAs, so people don't have to manual do stuff to make it work :)
It got it, tatu. I'm not accustomed to wandering about and not knowing where I am a goin', but I'll find my way. I could cheat and give it a look inside of TresEd, but I never allow myself to
do that (defeats the purpose of exploration). ;)
tatu

Post by tatu »

Rebel wrote:
tatu wrote:Let me know if you're having issue, and I'll send you a smaller package. At the moment it comes with the retail TPAs, so people don't have to manual do stuff to make it work :)
It got it, tatu. I'm not accustomed to wandering about and not knowing where I am a goin', but I'll find my way. I could cheat and give it a look inside of TresEd, but I never allow myself to
Awesome, enjoy! That is a thing I do miss with the game. The time before TresEd. But luckily it's been ages since I last looked at most mods in TresEd that playing them now would give me that experience :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

tatu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Awesome, enjoy! That is a thing I do miss with the game. The time before TresEd. But luckily it's been ages since I last looked at most mods in TresEd that playing them now would give me that experience :)
Well, it seems it might have been a good idea to split PH into two seperate halves. Most players aren't very familiar with PH so starting them at the halfway point in that level will certainly cause some degree of disorientation. And the rest of the game (especially IJ2) looks so different anyway that we seem to have succeeded in creating something different. :D
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

I will check it out this week :) I remember even Jungle Road being disorienting :D
tatu

Post by tatu »

Well, it seems it might have been a good idea to split PH into two seperate halves. Most players aren't very familiar with PH so starting them at the halfway point in that level will certainly cause some degree of disorientation. And the rest of the game (especially IJ2) looks so different anyway that we seem to have succeeded in creating something different. :D
Yes. Not to mention the split between that ridge is a better level split than the end of JR!
It is good that each level have some degree of openness, and not fully linear :)
I will check it out this week :) I remember even Jungle Road being disorienting :D
Enjoy! :D

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, it's obviously quite a bit different than the retail levels of the game. In those levels, you were pretty much forced into going the way the devs wanted you to go. One thing I found rather
amusing was that the T-Rex flipped the jeep up into the air and it crushed the raptor (poor li' guy). I'm still wandering around some, I know I haven't seen the entirety of the level as of yet.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Rebel wrote:One thing I found rather amusing was that the T-Rex flipped the jeep up into the air and it crushed the raptor (poor li' guy).
That is amazing! :D

TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

So I played through this level. Got from the start of PH2 to the end of IT in about an hour and some change. I loved seeing all the changes to the original terrain, such as the IJ2 Gorge/Swamp combo, although it felt weird that the gorge was located so far away from where it originally was that some people could miss going through that area. The one thing I do miss from IJ3 is the Leap of Faith cliff as it was a fun thing from the original game. I also loved being able to see Pine Valley from the end of the raptor gorge. Really tied everything together and built up anticipation for the next level set.

My absolute favorite part of the whole level is the transition from PH to IJ. As soon as you cross that gap from the open fields next to the plantation house, the jungle closes around you, and the wildlife sounds more sinister.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
After all these years we finally get a proper transition into Industrial Jungle!

One gripe I had was Anne's jump sounds. I already think Anne's normal "hup" sound is annoying, but that coupled with the new "HUH" gets old real fast. I think it would just be best to either keep Anne's original jump sound, have it play every other time you jump, or just not have a jump sound altogether.

I experienced only one crash while playing the game and the framerate was surprisingly high, and I'm sure it has to do with the low-poly models of the original Trespasser. If some of TI's Megajungle foliage were put in with the higher poly dinos then this game would probably be lagging more.
The only time the game crashed was when I pressed the purple keycard up against the key reader at the Plains gate. I think I remember someone on the Discord mention this problem as well.

All in all, this was an awesome job and well worth the wait! Good job you two! 8)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Thanks for the review, TresGuy! Glad you had fun.
such as the IJ2 Gorge/Swamp combo, although it felt weird that the gorge was located so far away from where it originally was that some people could miss going through that area
We had to compromise on that one as we couldn't fit the gorge anywhere else without it looking funny. In fact the entire gorge was scaled down vertically about 15% as otherwise it didn't look quite right and ended up towering over PV. In the future I hope to make it so that the path to the gorge is more obvious. We decided to have the swamp as the primary path there as it was clearly the developer's original intent.
The one thing I do miss from IJ3 is the Leap of Faith cliff as it was a fun thing from the original game.
Forgot to add this in when I sent tatu the terrain that had the gorge/swamp combo years ago. We will have to add it back as it is so iconic.
One gripe I had was Anne's jump sounds. I already think Anne's normal "hup" sound is annoying, but that coupled with the new "HUH" gets old real fast. I think it would just be best to either keep Anne's original jump sound, have it play every other time you jump, or just not have a jump sound altogether.
Noted. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to throw in a few instances of silent sounds in order to break it up a bit.
I experienced only one crash while playing the game and the framerate was surprisingly high, and I'm sure it has to do with the low-poly models of the original Trespasser. If some of TI's Megajungle foliage were put in with the higher poly dinos then this game would probably be lagging more.
The game probably wouldn't last long with higher-detail models or foliage. I managed to crash it pretty quickly when I threw together a quick test of some new objects on this terrain, but it turns out it might have been due to the "transparency overlap issue" and the large number of grass models:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
For the future "complete" version, where we intend to bring back as much of the walkthrough material as possible among other things, we will still be using only assets from the original game unless new ones are needed for specific purposes. tatu has expressed a desire to re-do all of the foliage and TrnObjs at some point as well in order to tie everything together as best as possible, since the current terrain textures are a very, very mixed bag.
The only time the game crashed was when I pressed the purple keycard up against the key reader at the Plains gate. I think I remember someone on the Discord mention this problem as well.
Must have something to do with the scripting. Which gate did you try? The one that you leave in Retail (which ends the level after you exit), or the new one that will lead eventually to the "Plains" level itself? I will check it out myself as well, I didn't have issues when I playtested it at all.
tatu

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:
such as the IJ2 Gorge/Swamp combo, although it felt weird that the gorge was located so far away from where it originally was that some people could miss going through that area
We had to compromise on that one as we couldn't fit the gorge anywhere else without it looking funny. In fact the entire gorge was scaled down vertically about 15% as otherwise it didn't look quite right and ended up towering over PV. In the future I hope to make it so that the path to the gorge is more obvious. We decided to have the swamp as the primary path there as it was clearly the developer's original intent.
Yes. I have yet put any foliage towards the entrance of the gorge either. In a way the gorge is more of a 2nd hidden path added not to be lost in this project. We did have some discussion on where it would be placed on the island, but I am glad TI manage to make it next to where it is in retail :)
Noted. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to throw in a few instances of silent sounds in order to break it up a bit.
I will change this in the next release, as more people find it odd. Funnily enough, there is a 50/50 on what hop sound she makes but I tend to find that she makes the new one more. Same with the death sounds!
The game probably wouldn't last long with higher-detail models or foliage. I managed to crash it pretty quickly when I threw together a quick test of some new objects on this terrain, but it turns out it might have been due to the "transparency overlap issue" and the large number of grass models:

For the future "complete" version, where we intend to bring back as much of the walkthrough material as possible among other things, we will still be using only assets from the original game unless new ones are needed for specific purposes. tatu has expressed a desire to re-do all of the foliage and TrnObjs at some point as well in order to tie everything together as best as possible, since the current terrain textures are a very, very mixed bag.
I am surprised about the high FPS as well. I think it has to do with the layouts of the levels themselves. They are big and a bit open, but have hills that blocks of the view in certain areas.

And yes. I do plan on redoing all foliage and TrnObjs at some point. I think that alone can do so much (which I believe all replaced billboards in BEPH1 did). :)
Must have something to do with the scripting. Which gate did you try? The one that you leave in Retail (which ends the level after you exit), or the new one that will lead eventually to the "Plains" level itself? I will check it out myself as well, I didn't have issues when I playtested it at all.
I am aware of this issue. I did do some changes to the triggers for the gates, so it is possible I messed something up. :)

Thanks for all the feedback, and I am glad you enjoyed it! :)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I playtested most of this level in previous months. I'm really pleased with it and all the work put in. Tatu spends endless hours heightfixing foliage objs, it's a labor of love...
I really like this version of IJ1. All the best parts put together... Logs getting in the way, logs helping out, terrain barriers that were removed. It's great stuff.

I look forward to future releases! :statue:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Tatu spends endless hours heightfixing foliage objs, it's a labor of love...
"When I was little, I dreamed of a time when the entire island was covered in floating instances. RaptorAs stalked in the cool darkness among flying cloned vswamptrees, vcubanpalms and vsplitcanopies..."

Glad you liked it, Draco! IJ1 is definitely the best part overall of the combined experience thusfar in my opinion (though I am quite happy with our inclusion of both IJ2 versions, especially with the work tatu did with getting the retail gorge to look right considering it was moved and squished down slightly). In the future it will probably be even more interesting if we get all the missing walkthrough stuff implemented.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Absolute incredible work, this is definitely becoming like a definitive Trespasser. It's amazing how far you guys have come with this. Have the textures also been updated? I've been very out of the loop on these things, and everything looked a lot more crisp to me. Like, I could actually read the names on the floor tiles in Hammond's house. Some of my favorite things also include the start into IJ and having to use the logs, and the inclusion of the gorge and island map rather than choosing one over the other. I've run the bundle at all the settings that it came in, and had no saving/loading problems whatsoever. Only crash I had was at the very end with the purple keycard, but that was already mentioned.

I also had some problems with the key code entrance and Ops center terminal, but the BIGLIE one has always given me grief. Anne wouldn't point her finger at the Ops center terminal buttons though. I couldn't get the bathroom door open in the InGeneral store, and inside Hammond's house a button I tried to push fell off :D All of this is very minor, but I thought I'd mention it to be sure. Again, incredible work - it looks really beautiful :) Keep up the great work!
tatu

Post by tatu »

I really like this version of IJ1. All the best parts put together... Logs getting in the way, logs helping out, terrain barriers that were removed. It's great stuff.
Thanks Draco!
Absolute incredible work, this is definitely becoming like a definitive Trespasser. It's amazing how far you guys have come with this.
Thank you!
Have the textures also been updated? I've been very out of the loop on these things, and everything looked a lot more crisp to me. Like, I could actually read the names on the floor tiles in Hammond's house.
Negative. It is more likely that is thanks to the CE patch :)
Some of my favorite things also include the start into IJ and having to use the logs
This was added after Draco tested the level and couldn't progress into IJ!
and the inclusion of the gorge and island map rather than choosing one over the other. I've run the bundle at all the settings that it came in, and had no saving/loading problems whatsoever. Only crash I had was at the very end with the purple keycard, but that was already mentioned.
Thanks! I am aware what causes the purple keycard issue, which is related to a wrongly set ActionType to unlock one of the gate doors.
I also had some problems with the key code entrance and Ops center terminal, but the BIGLIE one has always given me grief. Anne wouldn't point her finger at the Ops center terminal buttons though. I couldn't get the bathroom door open in the InGeneral store, and inside Hammond's house a button I tried to push fell off :D All of this is very minor, but I thought I'd mention it to be sure. Again, incredible work - it looks really beautiful :) Keep up the great work!
Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into these. I don't mind minor issues, I want everything reported so I can eventually fix it all ;)