Theory: How Hunters' Camp burned crates ended up in BE

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Theory: How Hunters' Camp burned crates ended up in BE

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Okay, so no doubt if you've played the PCgamer build's PH, you've saw the burned crates at the (probably unfinished as there's some broken tent poles in PH's basement which were probably intended to be part of it) Hunters' Camp area. Well in the final build and build 96 of Trespasser, these burned crate objects somehow magically wound up in the Beach level's basement.

I have a theory of how they got there. It should be obvious to some but for others here goes:

As we all know BE was originally much smaller, with half of it originally belonging to Jungle Road. We also know that PH was probably one of the first if not the first levels to be scrapped and have its assets merged with another level's (JR). What I think happened was the assets were carried over to JR and then when parts of JR were merged with BE some of the assets from PH got transferred over to BE and the burned crates were either purposfully or mistakenly transferred over. It's possible DWI originally intended to have a new purpose for these crates as well but I honestly don't think it was implemented.

And that's my theory of how the burned crates from PH ended up all the way in BE.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Theory: How Hunters' Camp burned crates ended up in BE

Post by tatu »

I personally believe the crates are just leftovers in the basement and they forgot to remove them. Most levels have all crates (including the burned ones) in their basement. I'm only aware of a few ones that doesn't include all, and I think it all depend on what devs was mainly working on the level.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I've scoured the Basements before Tatu. Those burned crates are only in Beach's as far as I can tell. If you want to prove me wrong, go right ahead. I won't be mad. (I'll be more disappointed that I was wrong than anything else, but I'll man up)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

That's a pretty interesting theory - wasn't obvious to me at all. :P That seems a possible explanation. I don't understand how the burned crates may have ended up in JR/BE in the first place. I don't think PH was ever meant to be part of JR, so why would they have merged the crates into it in the first place? The Hunter Camp was clearly never implemented into JR at any point: the only assets that were ported from PH into JR seem to be the Plantation House itself and the picnic stuff. You'd think that if they had ported the rest of the objects over, we'd see some more PH-only objects, like the ruined walls or the cart, carried over as well.
Of course this is really all just speculation, so you never know. Oddities in Trespasser seem to be at complete random.
tatu

Post by tatu »

IJ, AS2 and LAB also have the burned crates in their basement. If you take a look at the original 3ds max file for one of the Town levels, you will notice that they had several squares in the basement with various things, like "LAB crates", "Moveable crates" etc. I'm pretty sure they had a basic basement with all foliage, barrels, crates etc. The only reason why they are not included in all levels is that some dev removed them. :)

PS: I love these kind of theories tho ;)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

tatu wrote:IJ, AS2 and LAB also have the burned crates in their basement. If you take a look at the original 3ds max file for one of the Town levels, you will notice that they had several squares in the basement with various things, like "LAB crates", "Moveable crates" etc. I'm pretty sure they had a basic basement with all foliage, barrels, crates etc. The only reason why they are not included in all levels is that some dev removed them. :)

PS: I love these kind of theories tho ;)
Are you sure? I don't recall them being in any of the Retail levels at least...I think they're in B96 though.
tatu

Post by tatu »

100% sure as I just looked the retail levels through :P

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Glitch, very interesting theory. I second Tatu's opinion... The basements of Tres levels seem to have all sorts of unimplemented objects. I do wonder whether or not the devs ever considered putting burned crates in a level other than PH/JR.. IIRC JR b96 has some "ingame" (buried) burnt logs in it.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:IIRC JR b96 has some "ingame" (buried) burnt logs in it.
You are almost correct. It is IJ that got it ;)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Ah sorry yeah, was meaning IJ..
tatu

Post by tatu »

Crates.jpg
Crates.jpg (114.93 KiB) Viewed 15307 times
I thought I would go into the Town max file(s) and get an image of this. This is how the basement probably looked in most levels. Some levels also contain all crates they used in-game.

However, as I notice the town is also missing the burned ones, it is always possible they (or the one working on the level), wanted to use the crates in the level!

And again, I love these kind of theories, right or wrong. They add discussions and we discover minor and major things about the game and the development, keep them coming! :D

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

ooooh! Can we have a full map of the object layouts? I honestly wasn't aware there was much of a pattern other than how certain objects were grouped. also, something else I've noticed is that the E3 and PCgamer levels have the objects scattered in weird places in the basements.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Whoa, Tatu, thanks for posting that. Very interesting image. Might use it for a 'base' level sometime (a la Base~TresJungle).
tatu

Post by tatu »

glitchhunter09 wrote:ooooh! Can we have a full map of the object layouts? I honestly wasn't aware there was much of a pattern other than how certain objects were grouped. also, something else I've noticed is that the E3 and PCgamer levels have the objects scattered in weird places in the basements.
Sadly only the crates and the foliage objects have groups, but I will post the foliage one too.

I noticed that too. It also appear in some retail levels. My guess it would be that they might have imported the object from another level. I know at least JR should have the Jeep weirdly rotated in the basement, which I believe is how it was placed on the level (retail JR).
Whoa, Tatu, thanks for posting that. Very interesting image. Might use it for a 'base' level sometime (a la Base~TresJungle).
I showed you this years ago ;) Anyway, as said, there are also for foliage, so might wanna have that too. I guess anyone could use those as a template and make their own kind of basement layout for easier planning etc :)

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Well in the retail, I'm pretty sure there was consistency to where objects were placed. I mean, generally, they were put nearby other object groups. Actually, come to think of it, IJ seems the most organized out of the bunch. all the objects are placed in a singular location, even unused objects are grouped with similar used objects (such as the unused hunter vehicles being located near used ones) In the E3/PCgamer levels they're literally all over the place as in some objects can be found in the east basement while others are found in the north or south.

The Retail tended to keep them restricted to one direction typically, though I am a little interested to see what levels didn't follow this pattern Tatu as you say a few of them don't.

I know Summit has a stairway floating out of bounds much closer to the level than other objects (it's technically not even in the basement for that matter)