TI's Mega Jungle (Resource) - Released!

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: TheIdiot Releases Stuff

Post by TheIdiot »

Rebel wrote:That grass looks pretty cool, T.I.
It'd look even better had I remembered to put the HD textures in the correct folder... :sick:

Also I meant to post this in the MegaJungle thread, derp. Will move this over.

EDIT: Moved this post and my last as well as Rebel's previous post to the MegaJungle thread.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: TI's Mega Jungle (Resource) - Released!

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sounds cool.. I don't suppose ye could give additional screenshots of this.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Sounds cool.. I don't suppose ye could give additional screenshots of this.
Sure, here's a more WIP image of the grass area with a CacheDist of 50 (ignore everything in the background):

You can also see the variety in textures I used on the grass meshes - there are some pieces with small red plants and little vine-bush-things growing up here and there. I quite like the way the amaumau ferns on the left look against the grass. Additionally, I correctly applied the HD .dds textures in this image as well, so the grass texture is much more crisp.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That does look pretty slick. Tho I am generally against red foliage inclusion unless it's a main theme in the level.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:That does look pretty slick. Tho I am generally against red foliage inclusion unless it's a main theme in the level.
I think the red helps to break up the green quite well. I wanted to have some colour variety in there, after all. Maybe I should have gone for some brownish dead grass instead, now that I look at some images of Hawaii.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I guess it depends on the season but colors like red is quite common overall in nature :D
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Melber
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Melber »

It's interesting, that MJV3 to MJV5 on my powerful Win 10 crashes when loading. But on old Win 7 (Intel Chip Family :S ) it loads. And the CE setting is the same :mrgreen: Somewhat odd isn't it?

___________________________________________________________________________________________
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Melber wrote:It's interesting, that MJV3 to MJV5 on my powerful Win 10 crashes when loading. But on old Win 7 (Intel Chip Family :S ) it loads. And the CE setting is the same :mrgreen: Somewhat odd isn't it?
Actually, for whatever reason it seems quite common that different levels crash on different computers. Just recently Draco mentioned that ED used to crash on everyone's computer, yet I never had it crash, even in ATX. It seems Trespasser's stability partially depends on the computer itself, though it's difficult to say what determines this.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

One point would simply be that no computer for years has had hardware/drivers developed with such games as Trespasser being tested on them.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

What's this? A sudden MegaJungle update out of nowhere?!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/akercwu4h ... 6.zip/file

This version contains the new 3D grasses (which should be used CAREFULLY in order to avoid the overlapping transparency crash), as well as some brand-new never-before-seen Cuban Royal Palms, which are remakes of those found in vanilla Trespasser and are able to replace them 1:1. Also included are new 3D vines, which you may have seen in RTJP and Jungle Road HD screenshots. The palms and vines can be found in the basement, while the grasses have a small in-level area made for them.
Hope you guys enjoy some more jungle assets! :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sooo. The grass is... Interesting. However with our latest experiences of MegaJungle assets freezing up modern comps due to opacities, and with how detailed even a single clump is, I'm unclear how useful these will be. I never feel compelled to include grass in a level unless it's over a substantial area. :?
EDIT: Ah, I found the ingame grass. Well, you have a lot there at once. Guess it works on your end that way. Impressive, although, I don't think this version of grass obj would hide dinosaurs very well. I have no other real use for grass in a level :yum:

That Allo is pretty neat, btw.

I'm not quire sure what to make of the lots-of-stones-together objs. They look neat, I'm guessing you got the idea from another game? Still, not sure when I'd use that, and they are not individually physical..

Hmm... In one of my current mods is found "JTreeCA-00" and "JTreeCB-00". I could have sworn they were from MegaJungle but I don't see them anywhere... They are tall thick canopy trees with gray bark and a nice amount of upper leaf coverage. Don't suppose you know where they're from...

A note, "TJungleStoneB00-00" and the one next to it have inverted normals. Oopz. Also a lot of rocks which have been in MegaJungle for at least a year or two (?..) still have no physics :yum:

Nice update!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Sooo. The grass is... Interesting. However with our latest experiences of MegaJungle assets freezing up modern comps due to opacities, and with how detailed even a single clump is, I'm unclear how useful these will be. I never feel compelled to include grass in a level unless it's over a substantial area. :?
EDIT: Ah, I found the ingame grass. Well, you have a lot there at once. Guess it works on your end that way. Impressive, although, I don't think this version of grass obj would hide dinosaurs very well. I have no other real use for grass in a level :yum:
The in-game grass does indeed work for me, though I consider it to be somewhat of a miracle - I've got another level with half that amount of grass objects at the start and it doesn't work. If you were ever to use those grass meshes, I would have to recommend using them carefully soas to avoid havin them clip into each other.
That Allo is pretty neat, btw.
He's from one of the older releases - Rebel used the skin but not the model in TC~Prequel. I'd love it if one day someone were to get the actual TLW PSX allosaur model, he's one of my favourite JP dinosaurs of all-time, along with a lof of the other dinosaurs from that game.
I'm not quire sure what to make of the lots-of-stones-together objs. They look neat, I'm guessing you got the idea from another game? Still, not sure when I'd use that, and they are not individually physical..
Yeah, they were just sort of made to provide an extra bit of detail to the edges of cliffs or boulders. Remember, MegaJungle's purpose is to go overboard with detail. :wink:
Hmm... In one of my current mods is found "JTreeCA-00" and "JTreeCB-00". I could have sworn they were from MegaJungle but I don't see them anywhere... They are tall thick canopy trees with gray bark and a nice amount of upper leaf coverage. Don't suppose you know where they're from...
Not sure what models you're referring to? Can you show a screenshot? I'm guessing those models aren't mine because I always use the standard Trespasser instance naming conventions...I'd probably have named them "VJungleTree00-00" instead.
A note, "TJungleStoneB00-00" and the one next to it have inverted normals. Oopz. Also a lot of rocks which have been in MegaJungle for at least a year or two (?..) still have no physics :yum:
At this point, I consider the MegaJungle rocks to be largely obsolete. I've been using a set of retextured TC Anthology rocks instead as I was never really fond of the ones in MegaJungle. In the next update, I might remove the rocks entirely.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh, Allo in TLW PS1... So uh, funny fact, I played that game until about the second Compy level, back in the late 2000s, and never picked it up again due to needing time for Trespasser modding, heh. I reacquired the game last year, and have been slowly pushing forward. I've gotten as far as the mines in the Human Hunter maps (the ones with DX-labeled ore containers..). As such I still haven't seen the full game, didn't know there was an Allo roaming around in it. But I don't blame you - this game is freakin' beautiful. Back in those days a friend ripped a bunch of textures from that game for me, only a few of which got used. If I'd actually played through the game, I bet I would have stuck a bunch of references to it in JPDS, haha. Oh well. Perhaps in a future mod.

...Does anyone know how to rip textures out of that game?

Here are the trees I was referring to:
BigTrees01.jpg
BigTrees01.jpg (183.57 KiB) Viewed 9155 times
I am thinking maybe they're from Lone Hunter. That mod has some awesome assets in it. Just, they looked like they were from MegaJungle. Hmm.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Yeah, that TLW game, while incredibly difficult (to the unfair point at times - wait until you get to the T-rex levels...some of those are total crapshoots) has some really cool design aspects, some of the best in the JP franchise in my opinion. You have yet to reach the areas with the coolest dinosaurs - the next character you play as after the Human Hunter is just awesome, and he has some great levels once you get into the second half of his story. :wink:

I wish I knew how to rip from that game. People have ripped from PS1 games in the past, though, so I can't imagine that being much different. Even as a kid, I managed to rip the entire soundtrack off the CD.

Yeah, those trees are from Lone Hunter. They do look vaguely MegaJungle-esque, in fact the plants from that level were partially the inspiration for it. I eventually plan on re-doing some of the earlier MegaJungle trees to look a bit more like these.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh interesting. Looking forward to the rest of the game.

Oh, one thing. Sometimes evergreens grow in unusual shapes. The other day I was thinking Tres could use some of those.