TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Screenshot thread

Post by TheIdiot »

machf
Ah, okay. That's a shame, but I'm right there with you hoping that you can get it finished up once you've got a new PC. This level sounds a couple steps beyond the (alpha?) version I've had for years, where the entire level is empty save for a single trigger. :P

Anyway, back on topic - I finally worked out how to modify dinosaur models in Max and get them back into the game without them being screwed up (no idea how I missed two very obvious buttons), so I've been tweaking some of the dinosaurs to better resemble their on-screen or otherwise represented companions. First up, I did a couple changes to the tyrannosaurus from JPOG; nothing too major, just fixed the thin neck, removed the "waddle", closed the mouth, lengthened the tail and lowered the brow ridge:

Then I moved on the the metriacanthosaurus, which required a bit more editing. Since it was using the JPOG metriacanthosaurus model, it required a lot of changing to look more like the metriacanthosaurus seen on the JW website, which is it based on. Changes include thinning and slightly downsizing the head; raising the brow; extending the neck; shortening the arms; lengthening the body; thickening the legs a bit; and slightly extending and thinning the tail. Looks quite a bit more like the actual dinosaur now!

Next up, I hope to fix the absolutely horrible stegosaurus and finally do a bit of editing to the Raptor's head (the brow ridge is too high for the original Raptors), then move on to the remaining few dinosaurs, such as troodon, segisaurus and herrerasaurus. Tylosaurus will have to wait until someone is able to model it from scratch since there isn't really anything to base it on.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:
machf
Ah, okay. That's a shame, but I'm right there with you hoping that you can get it finished up once you've got a new PC. This level sounds a couple steps beyond the (alpha?) version I've had for years, where the entire level is empty save for a single trigger. :P
Oh, that one was uploaded on a December 28th, the local equivalent to April Fools' Day. :wink:
Though I removed the assets, the terrain is the one used in the level, mnus some slight modifications done later...
Tylosaurus will have to wait until someone is able to model it from scratch since there isn't really anything to base it on.
Too bad Webshots closed down (well, it still exists under that name, but everything that was there is gone), or you could have watched another one of the videos I uploaded there... :wink:
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:First up, I did a couple changes to the tyrannosaurus from JPOG; nothing too major, just <snip> closed the mouth
Well, there *is* actually a version of the JPOG T-Rex with the mouth closed, but you have to look carefully for it. I think I released it as a patch for one of the past contest levels...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Oh, that one was uploaded on a December 28th, the local equivalent to April Fools' Day. :wink:
Though I removed the assets, the terrain is the one used in the level, mnus some slight modifications done later...
Well, that explains it then. :D
Too bad Webshots closed down (well, it still exists under that name, but everything that was there is gone), or you could have watched another one of the videos I uploaded there... :wink:
...did you make a tylosaurus already? I've seen your megalodon, which is awesome, but if you have a tylosaur or anything similar, I would have to pester you to share it just a bit. :P
Well, there *is* actually a version of the JPOG T-Rex with the mouth closed, but you have to look carefully for it. I think I released it as a patch for one of the past contest levels...
That's alright. The one I did looks perfectly fine, plus it has the extra changes I needed. Any idea what level that might have been, though? I try to keep a complete collection of every Tres level I can find.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Enjoy the views. :wink:
Attachments
SeaMonsters.zip
(566.16 KiB) Downloaded 521 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:Enjoy the views. :wink:
...dude. That is badass. I'd be amazed to see that level, even if they are sort of glitchy. How do they look/function in-game?

EDIT: More stuff!

This first one is a dramatic view from atop the waterfall that the kids jumped off of while running from the Indestructible Rex in Jurassic World. The river leading to the falls is currently running dry due to the spring where it begins being blocked off, though the pool at the base remains for the most part. You can also see the different fogging that is a side effect of time-of-day; everything is slightly darker and foggier, though I think it actually captures the atmosphere of the movie even better than before.

I've also finished the updated stegosaurus model. There was a lot I changed on this bugger - it just looked atrocious. The head was downsized and reshaped, body was made fatter and wider, the plates were completely reshaped, and a bunch of other small tweaks were made. Additionally, it can actually close its mouth! Hooray! 8)

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Okay, I promise that this is the last one of the stegs. :P

Here's a trio showing off the final models (skins need a bit of touching up) of the whole stegosaurus family. Juvenile is in the front, based on its Lost World appearance, in the back is mommy, and the big daddy is on the left. The adults use the same model, but the little guy got a complete overhaul. I'm quite happy with how it all turned out!

Also, this is my first time using ModDB to host the image - let me know if it doesn't work for you!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

More crap!

This little demon needs no introduction. While it will initially appear curious, this is simply the hunting behavior of a dilophosaurus. Things will quickly turn ugly when the spitter unfurls its frill and sends a glob of blinding venom flying your way. If it gets in your unprotected eyes, you'll want to find an eye-wash station or water source as soon as possible or have severe difficulty seeing - and perhaps even lose your life when the paralysis sets in.
The skin is a modified version of that of the TC~Isle spitter, of course, and I haven't touched the excellent model at all. I changed the colors and skin patterns to be more film-accurate. Still haven't worked out how I'll get the frill and spit working without ATX's spitting function, but I'll figure something out for sure. Can probably do it with some sort of simple area trigger and some float values or something. :sick:

And, because I'm starting to see the completion of the Visitor Compound area, a shot of the shed approach. While this area and the shed itself is still WIP, I've got the basic look finished. Once hppav's final shed model is complete, I'll take another picture of the completed area. The current shed model is just a placeholder. Finally glad to have used my new fence meshes for their originally intended purpose!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Stuff's lookin' great, TI! :D Liking the actual baby version of the baby stego. I feel a bit like this is some of the nicest nature setting I have seen to date in Tres (next to your BE mod). The terrain has a lot to do with it.

I want to say... I am very, very doubtful you'll get the spitter to work without ATX. The ATX upgrades were made, AFAIK, because the needed mechanics did not exist in Tres prior to that. Go ahead and try, tho.

IIIIIIIIIIII am... very, very curious how to plan to have changing time-of-day scripted events? How can you affect the sky texture, for one? And erm, do you already have it working or is it a plan? Might be nice to see a vid, if it's working..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Stuff's lookin' great, TI! :D Liking the actual baby version of the baby stego. I feel a bit like this is some of the nicest nature setting I have seen to date in Tres (next to your BE mod). The terrain has a lot to do with it.
Thanks! That's likely because I was initially using the Beach mod as a testbed for the terrain textures in RTJP. The RTJP textures are almost identical, aside from some added detail here and there. Wish I could do the same plant density as in Beach, but that's entirely impractical...I mean, in just the area I've done in BE so far (up to the billboard), there are 17000 objects - almost double the original count.
I want to say... I am very, very doubtful you'll get the spitter to work without ATX. The ATX upgrades were made, AFAIK, because the needed mechanics did not exist in Tres prior to that. Go ahead and try, tho.
Yeah, it's definitely going to be tricky if not impossible. I could at least get the frill to work, but the spit may or may not be possible.
IIIIIIIIIIII am... very, very curious how to plan to have changing time-of-day scripted events? How can you affect the sky texture, for one? And erm, do you already have it working or is it a plan? Might be nice to see a vid, if it's working..
It's actually pretty simple. CE has a sky replacement feature that uses external files and textures and is defined using a text file. In that file, I've defined the clouds only, no backdrop, so that's what shows in-game over the default sky texture. In Trespasser, I have the sky set to a height of 99999 so that it isn't visible while playing, making the sky entirely fogged (as you did with JPDS). So now, whenever I change the fog color, the sky also changes to that color, and CE's sky feature adds the clouds. It's already set up in-game with four different time settings (day, night, night stormy (with rain), and sunrise).
I think I posted this already, but for an example, all of the screenshots in the .gif below are taken in one session without doing anything aside from activating some triggers in-game:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:In Trespasser, I have the sky set to a height of 99999 so that it isn't visible while playing, making the sky entirely fogged (as you did with JPDS). So now, whenever I change the fog color, the sky also changes to that color, and CE's sky feature adds the clouds.
There. The genie was out of the bottle.
Amazing! Yeah, prior to CE, fog color could not be changed via triggers (despite that this could be scripted since the beginning)... Part of Tres's various fog bugs. I actually wasn't strictly aware that fog color could now be changed ingame but it makes perfect sense when I remember the discussions we had with Lee about Tres's fog bugs. Utter genius on your part! (Makes me wonder what other goodies are hiding in Tres that are now possible and as yet unrealized...)
It's already set up in-game with four different time settings (day, night, night stormy (with rain), and sunrise).
Schweet. How does the stormy one work? I thought you hadn't gotten rain yet..
I think I posted this already, but for an example, all of the screenshots in the .gif below are taken in one session without doing anything aside from activating some triggers in-game:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Saw this already - wasn't sure if it was working or if this was a sort of concept demonstration. Pretty badass.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

There. The genie was out of the bottle.
I've really done it...this is NOT a normal situation. :P
Amazing! Yeah, prior to CE, fog color could not be changed via triggers (despite that this could be scripted since the beginning)... Part of Tres's various fog bugs. I actually wasn't strictly aware that fog color could now be changed ingame but it makes perfect sense when I remember the discussions we had with Lee about Tres's fog bugs. Utter genius on your part!
You *could* actually change the fog on ATX by minimizing and maximizing the game after the trigger had fired, but yeah, the CE fog fix is so important to me since I've been wanting to do day and night since the beginning. I actually had done the exact same trigger setup before on the old RTJP version I released, but deleted the triggers so nobody would steal my idea. :wink:
(Makes me wonder what other goodies are hiding in Tres that are now possible and as yet unrealized...)
Trust me, I'm looking for all of them myself! Found one or two little ones aside from the fog that I haven't shown yet (and don't plan on until much later). 8)
Schweet. How does the stormy one work? I thought you hadn't gotten rain yet..
Well, the stormy one DID work until the invisible player bug occured. :sick: I'm still working on that...I really think rain can be done, just have to figure out how to counteract the bug. (Bit of a spoiler, but COME ON, you HAVE to reach the Rex paddock/main road at night in a storm, it's the only way!)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: You *could* actually change the fog on ATX by minimizing and maximizing the game after the trigger had fired, but yeah, the CE fog fix is so important to me since I've been wanting to do day and night since the beginning. I actually had done the exact same trigger setup before on the old RTJP version I released, but deleted the triggers so nobody would steal my idea. :wink:
Too late. There's something (not quite) like that in the Pens. :wink: Did it in the hope that some day the fog would work as intended.
(For the same reason, dinos there have "removed" activities in their scripts which now work, too!)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:
TheIdiot wrote: You *could* actually change the fog on ATX by minimizing and maximizing the game after the trigger had fired, but yeah, the CE fog fix is so important to me since I've been wanting to do day and night since the beginning. I actually had done the exact same trigger setup before on the old RTJP version I released, but deleted the triggers so nobody would steal my idea. :wink:
Too late. There's something (not quite) like that in the Pens. :wink: Did it in the hope that some day the fog would work as intended.
(For the same reason, dinos there have "removed" activities in their scripts which now work, too!)
Damn. At least it's "not quite" like that. :P I'd been doing the same thing, implementing the fog and new behaviors in hopes that they'd work. Guess I stopped lurking about the right time. Pens sounds friggen fantastic, especially after checking out your videos with dat mist effect. :wink:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: Damn. At least it's "not quite" like that. :P I'd been doing the same thing, implementing the fog and new behaviors in hopes that they'd work. Guess I stopped lurking about the right time. Pens sounds friggen fantastic, especially after checking out your videos with dat mist effect. :wink:
Indeed, that one's mixed with the changing fog...

And after a conversation I had today with Asjad, I think I've realized why I had to fix something on my level a couple of weeks ago...
(Yes, I'm back to working on it... not everyday, but I am working on it. Works better now with CE, though it still crashes at a certain part, either because of physics interactions or too many dinos awake at the same time)