A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Post by machf »

Nick3069 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:27 am
St3n wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:18 pmIs there any way to get german strings?
CE adds the feature to replace all of the game's text strings by creating the text file data/menu/game_strings.txt. Alternatively, you can put the file in the data/menu/German subfolder and add the line Language=German in Trespasser.ini under [General].
I've attached a game_strings.txt translated from English to German with Google Translate. I only know a few German words, so I don't know how accurate the translation is, but it should be enough to get you started.
It could do that already?

Well, the best option should be extracting the German strngs from the German executable...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

I agree, I just used Google Translate because I don't have the German version of the game.
EDIT: Got it! Attached is a text file with as close as I could get to the official German strings.
game_strings.txt
Official German
(9.84 KiB) Downloaded 135 times

EDIT2: I took the time to compile official string files for French, Portuguese, and Spanish.
game_strings.txt
Official French
(9.9 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
game_strings.txt
Official Spanish
(10.07 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
game_strings.txt
Official Portuguese
(9.41 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Last edited by Nick3069 on Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
rms
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by rms »

I'm not German either, but it would be excellent to add options for other languages; save these in a database!
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

rms wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:53 pm I'm not German either, but it would be excellent to add options for other languages; save these in a database!
That's a plan I have. I would like to add a "translation" download section, which contains the menu files, as well as the TPAs for the other localized releases for people to download. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
St3n
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by St3n »

Nick3069 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:27 am
St3n wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:18 pmIs there any way to get german strings?
CE adds the feature to replace all of the game's text strings by creating the text file data/menu/game_strings.txt. Alternatively, you can put the file in the data/menu/German subfolder and add the line Language=German in Trespasser.ini under [General].
I've attached a game_strings.txt translated from English to German with Google Translate. I only know a few German words, so I don't know how accurate the translation is, but it should be enough to get you started.
Thank you! I will try it during the weekend.
A first glimpse at the file looks good to me.
I own the german game, in case you need files of it
Last edited by St3n on Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deinonychus
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Deinonychus »

Is the source code for Tres CE available? I'm having issues with mouse look (on Wine+Box86 on a Raspberry Pi). The vanilla game works fine. Similar issues occurred with LithTech games like Aliens vs Predator 2 until I applied the following patch: https://github.com/haekb/LithFix . I'd like to try something similar for Tres CE, because it's so much better than the base game.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Sadly not. Lee is also MIA. I am not familiar with people running the game on a Raspberry Pi, but on a Linux (as Wine is used there as well). The best I can link with Wine is this: https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=134488
Otherwise, I hope maybe someone else have some suggestions :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
rms
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by rms »

Deinonychus wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:33 pm Is the source code for Tres CE available? I'm having issues with mouse look (on Wine+Box86 on a Raspberry Pi). The vanilla game works fine. Similar issues occurred with LithTech games like Aliens vs Predator 2 until I applied the following patch: https://github.com/haekb/LithFix . I'd like to try something similar for Tres CE, because it's so much better than the base game.
Oh thanks for AVP2 patch link, I'm looking to replay that soon

rms
Deinonychus
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Deinonychus »

Thanks! I was able to successfully install and launch on Wine32 5.0.4, 6.0.4, and 7.0.0 with Raspbian buster for i386. The only gotcha was Box86 - v0.2.2 is the last version that doesn't crash during level load. I didn't debug too much, but it looks like a texture addressing issue and it happens with or without TresCE. Trespass.exe runs fine with software or D3D rendering, but TresCE appears to have the same kind of mouse smoothing induced "zig-zag" behavior as described at https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper/issues/30 for several LithTech games, but adjusting my mouse DPI, vsync, and frame rate, and even swapping out the mouse didn't help. At least TresCE works great on my Windows machine.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I thought I would read a bit in the "Asset Creation Guidelines" design document we have. Among the first thing it mention is to avoid overlapping transparency:
5) Minimize transparency

We're doing well with this already, so this entry is more of an explanation than a guideline: overlapping transparency is one of the slowest cases for us to render. Transparency is a good way to reduce polygon count, but the more layers of transparency the game has to draw and the more screen that transparency covers, the slower it will go.
One of the things we've found out with CE is that it appears that many objects that overlaps each other (like foliage) appears to increase crashes. We know cases were this appears to happen in CE but not in ATX and vanilla. Draco for example made a level which played fine for him, but crashes for other people. This is very likely due to the increase rendering most people use (unlike Draco). So this appears to be a vanilla "issue" that the devs were aware of even in early 1998.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

An important thing to note. I'm glad we have those documents.
cynodesmus
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by cynodesmus »

Versions translated into Russian.

Activating the display of the Cyrillic alphabet requires intervention in the system by the user.
I got the impression that the game directly uses the file c_1252.nls - regardless of the parameter registered in the Windows registry.
What is required from the user: either in safe mode, or after booting from a backup flash drive/disk - replace the original с_1252.nls with a renamed copy с_1251.nls
The file that needs replacing is located here - C:\Windows\System32
Spoiler: show
Trespasser_rus.jpg
Trespasser_rus.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 9434 times
game_strings.txt
(9.68 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
hint_strings.txt
(1.36 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Sho
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Sho »

Hi everyone! I'm a bored programmer on parental leave, with some time to burn. I wasn't able to find this out yet using the search function, but did Lee ever release the source code for the CE patch, or is the best source tree available OpenTrespasser currently?

I'm potentially interested in contributing to a Trespasser engine improvement project, trying to sort out which way means the least duplicated work atm.
Last edited by Sho on Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Sho wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:01 am Hi everyone! I'm a bored programmer on parental leave, with some time to burn. I wasn't able to find this out yet using the search function, but did Lee ever release the source code for the CE patch, or is the best source tree available OpenTrespasser currently?

I'm potentially interested in contributing to a Trespasser engine improvement project, trying to sort out which way means the least duplicated work atm.
Hi, and welcome to TresCom!

Sadly Lee went MIA a few years ago, and we have no access to the modified source they made for the CE patch. The best source would be OpenTrespasser but that has been inactive for some years now as well, after they got stuck upgrading to one of the DirectX versions. They do have Discord (link on their GitHub I believe) if you want to join that. :)

EDIT: I see that you joined their Discord already :D

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome! Upgrades to Tres are always welcome. CE works well although since the source is not available, it can't be updated. LtSten here is a programmer, you might ask him if he's interested in the topic.