Damn Small Linux is Damned amazing!

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Damn Small Linux is Damned amazing!

Post by Dapper Dan »

The ISO downloaded in a few minutes with broadband. It took less than a minute to burn it using Eroaster. You just drop it in the beverage tray and reboot! She comes right up, asks which X version you prefer, plus you set the resolution and what color bit and you're on you way!

The whole operating system, which is less than 50mb, can be burned on one of those really small cd's and you can carry it around in your billfold! :shock:

Sky, you'll like this, the GUI is fluxbox and you get sylpheed and dillo. If you got broadband you can download and install mozilla firebird and flash into memory and run it! You can ssh with it to another computer, but you have to stay with the command line as it won't bring up GUI on a remote box. But if that's important it includes vnc viewer. There's a light weight word processor, a few small games, a spreadsheet program and a few other programs I've not looked over yet.

You can run it from any computer with a cd rom and it will pose no danger to any existing operating system as it all runs from the disk! I am truely impressed! :D

http://damnsmalllinux.org/cd.html
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Lol. That stuff sounds soooo funny to a Linux n00b like me. :lol:

Thos I'm trying to set up my own Slackware webserver right now. My first venture into the world of Linux...finally!.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Sky, Time for your entrance.. :D
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Remdul wrote:My first venture into the world of Linux...finally!.
Welcome! Of course Remdul, you do realize there's no turning back..? :no:

:wink:
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Well, actually I only want to use it to create a stable server, and perhaps add Linux support for my game engine in the future, do some cross-platform programming.

But yeah, you might be right about that. :)