PC vs MAC

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

PC vs MAC

Post by RexHunter99 »

I couldn't find anywhere else to put this... so move it if you find a better place (this is a result of the mutated forum structure Trescom has now)

This is the utmost final proof that PC beats MAC :P
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Re: PC vs MAC

Post by Rebel »

I actually think it's sad that their entire ad campaign is based on bashing the competition.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
Antispam: No

Post by hppav »

And not just the competition, the people who use it.

I do love how Microsoft has their "I'm a PC" counter ad which shows that people of all types use PCs, not just nerds.

Plus I love having an OS that isn't hardware dependent :P Don't like the Graphics Card? Swap it! :D

But real nerds use Linux.. Unfortunately I'm still attached to Windows :P First OS I've ever used. I used Mac OS before and recently, had Photoshop just shut off completely suddenly for no reason. Plus I've seen a Mac monitor spontaneously burst into flames once :P
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, nowadays Macs are just Intel PCs running their own OS instead of Windows, so what's the big deal?
I've seen people who format their Mac's HDD and install WIndows...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

yeah but you get a big load of legal bullshit on paper saying that you aren't allowed to do that when you purchase a Mac :P where as a PC let's you do whatever you want to it XD
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

hppav wrote:And not just the competition, the people who use it.

I do love how Microsoft has their "I'm a PC" counter ad which shows that people of all types use PCs, not just nerds.

Plus I love having an OS that isn't hardware dependent :P Don't like the Graphics Card? Swap it! :D

But real nerds use Linux.. Unfortunately I'm still attached to Windows :P First OS I've ever used. I used Mac OS before and recently, had Photoshop just shut off completely suddenly for no reason. Plus I've seen a Mac monitor spontaneously burst into flames once :P
This is though overhauled since a couple of years. Linux is since a long time no more a nerd system. You can have one if you need it ( pro user distros giving full control ) but majority of beginners and intermediates use friendly distros. They are even more friendly than Windows ( and damn I can tell you stories about that from support/help-desk <.=.< )
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine ( Wiki )
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I assume mac and pc are both hardware reliable, but several reasons why I'd never bother to purchase one (a mac);

1). I've always own a pc since way back in the early 80s.
2). seems that there is more gaming, more programs available overall
3). I'm accustomed to the os and I like it
4). what programming experience I do have is tied to it (not particularly interested in cross-platforming either)
5). Macs seem a little pricey
6). I don't like the way they conduct business (as aforementioned, their ads in particular)
enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by enigma »

This should also belong here:
http://friendsofirony.com/2010/01/01/ve ... y-fanboys/ :D

It's crazy how some people fight about mac's and PC's, its like ancient religious factions loyal to their gods. I remember this great IRC chat log where Mac user started ranting about windows in a Windows user chat room, they then got torn apart by everyone then kicked, they returned than got banned. Despite what they said was actually true about windows and was not slating it.

I have never used a Mac, probably never will, at least not for personal home use. Been a windows user all my life first from windows 95 I think in Lower school, through to win7 except for vista. Have used linux only a couple of times, once on a virtual PC and the second time on a Knoppix Cd which I keep in case windows fails so I can just boot up Linux and backup any files, just never a Mac. But have used Unix on a metal cutting machine :D
Not that I would not want to use a Mac, unfortunately, games and some software I use are not compatible with Mac computers.
Egghead
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Egghead »

Hey, any of you guys seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLbJ8YPHwXM

I'm personally a Windows user, used them my entire life, in fact I don't think I've even touched a mac. I'm so used to the Windows interface that I would be lost on a Mac. I've used linux a couple times and it's pretty impressive for being open source.
The Trespasser Movie Directory
http://tresmovdir.websitebuilderfree.com/
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Ever heard of ReactOS?

http://www.reactos.org/
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

"MAC OS is easier to use than Windows"
I beg to differ, I've used PC all my life, my mum got a MacBookPro about a year and a half ago, first off,all my PCs have lasted me 6-8 years, we still have a fully functional Windows 98 machine up in the attic. I was able to use a Windows machine at the age of 7, I was actually more skilled at using it than my parents.

Just because Mac removes the right mouse button doesn't make the OS easier to use. The way all the millions of icons for apps are stored in one panel that endlessly scrolls is damned annoying, and the icons are like 24x24 pixels so you have to squint to make out what they are without having to move the cursor over them.

The last time I had a MacBook on my lap, I ended up with burns on them, to the point I had to soak my lower half in a cold both to stop the pain. They heat up so quickly it's unbelievable.
The last Windows laptop I had on my lap only got uncomfortably warm, not blazing hot.

Storing files on my USBs causes 20 new folders and sub files to appear all 'hidden' that take up a precious 15Mb of space, Why on earth? why? My PC let's me use most of the USB storage space without hassle ;)
If a part in my PC busts, I can just go out to Centrecom, purchase a new and better part likely for the same price I got the old one or even cheaper (as I found with my new dual core processor that lacks a compatable motherborad xD) and replace it. That takes all of 3 hours tops.
With a Mac I'd have to ring up Apple, wait in line, listen to dorky hold music, get attended to by some person who REALLY doesn't want to be there and makes that point blatantly clear through their tone and effort, package my machine up and send it off. That's if the warranty is still valid mind you, if not I have to pay an arm and a leg so they can figure out what's wrong for themselves then replace the part (atleast Microsoft's Xbox service is fast, and you don't have to upgrade the console every year by buying a new one *rolls eyes*)

While a Mac has set hardware limitations over all machines, that means people who spent more typically don't get more bang for their buck. My mother spent 3000 AUD on her MacBookPro, and it's busted and the warranty ran out 2 weeks before hand, so she has to use it with an inverted color monitor... man it's freaky.
For 900 AUD I can go out and buy a Windows laptop with bettter hardware than the Macbook, and I can customize it almost anyway I like. My folders are neatly organized, HOW I want them to be, saving files is a cinch, copying them also a cinch and so on so forth.

Care for more?
EpicZen
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

machf wrote:Ever heard of ReactOS?

http://www.reactos.org/
:o I don't know what this has to do with MAC VS PC, but that OS is very interesting.
ReactOS® is a free, modern operating system based on the design of Windows® XP/2003. Written completely from scratch...
Right there, I'm sold! It's free, it's compatible with everything windows (it's in alpha stage so it's not compatible with everything yet), and it's written from scratch (which implies it will not have all the "holes" windows has.)
I'll try it out tomorrow, if I can.

It's clear Windows isn't perfect, but neither is MAC. I never liked MAC, I have used it a few time at college, for web browsing and IM, but that's pretty much all they are good for. Sure you can emulate windows on a MAC, but might as well just run Windows instead of having two OS's run at once.
Last edited by Nick3069 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

Why run a "kinda" windows OS if you can have the real windows? Or rather... why using something non-Unix/BeOS as a windows replacement? Main problem with windows is not the OS itself it's the tech. The security holes are part of the windows design. The API is hole-prone and the drivers are the major security holes. So you gain nothing using a free windows layer which is binary compatible since the trojan horses are the driver and apps you try to run.

EDIT: Just say two things:
Win-dumb and Crap-intosh :P
( Note for those not getting it. Win-dumb comes from the German word play "Windoof" which is a little mispronunciation which got back-ported to English ).
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Dragonlord wrote:Why run a "kinda" windows OS if you can have the real windows? Or rather... why using something non-Unix/BeOS as a windows replacement?
Because it's free and you may want to run something that is available only for Windows.
Main problem with windows is not the OS itself it's the tech. The security holes are part of the windows design. The API is hole-prone and the drivers are the major security holes. So you gain nothing using a free windows layer which is binary compatible since the trojan horses are the driver and apps you try to run.
They're trying to get around that. This is NOT Windows, after all.
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

The problem is "binary compatibility". If you have this then you can not change the security issues in the binary blobs themselves. That's what I mean with the Trojan horse. Even Wine which emulates windows is affected by this problem. Hence when you get security issues even with Wine then you have no chance to do it better with a rewritten OS. You can only avoid this by removing binary compatibility.