Management front office desk. Ask away.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers

Egghead
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Egghead »

Okay, I gather that this is probably not possible but I'm going to ask anyways. Is there a way to prevent the private forums as showing up green (new posts) for people who have no access to them? It's annoying to go to the fan section to find out there was no new posts I can see even though the icon shows up as green.

Ah sorry, I got another problem, I figure it'd be easier to edit this topic than make a new one. Whenever I'm on the SOTW comment thread I can't make a post, it only occurs on the Official Screen of the Week thread don't know why.
The Trespasser Movie Directory
http://tresmovdir.websitebuilderfree.com/
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: New posts question

Post by Draconisaurus »

Once the only new posts are in private forums, you can use the "Mark forums read" link at the top-right of the page. You can also do this within subforum categories, meaning you don't need to wait until you've checked all sections..
Egghead
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Egghead »

Oh, thanks a lot, I'll try that right now.

*gets home from school, hops on computer, tries it*

thanks, it worked, that's much better!
The Trespasser Movie Directory
http://tresmovdir.websitebuilderfree.com/
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I had the same problem with those back then too...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by enigma »

I mentioned this at trescom office forum, about the private forums being hidden to users not able to access it. I think the forum settings then allow only the groups or people able to access them see them while also havering no green icon for those that can't access it on the main page.
The 'view new posts' or 'active topics' links are pretty useful though overall, no need to click through forums or categories. Though Both should be clicked to be sure that new some aren't missed, since active topics can miss new posts. I don't know if trescoms forum has the same issue with that, (if its bug at all with phpbb or just settings)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

enigma wrote:I mentioned this at trescom office forum, about the private forums being hidden to users not able to access it. I think the forum settings then allow only the groups or people able to access them see them while also havering no green icon for those that can't access it on the main page.
Just my opinion on that - I have noticed that in days passed, people would take notice when, for example, there was activity in the JPDS private board, and sometimes post that it seemed JPDS was being active. And I know that before I became an Ops, I kept a close watch on who had the latest post in the Ops private section, to know what Ops remnants were still checking in occasionally.. I believe there are benefits to seeing private sections even if they can't be accessed.
The 'view new posts' or 'active topics' links are pretty useful though overall, no need to click through forums or categories.
Maybe some people like clicking through forums. :P Being a very visually-oriented person, I associate all threads with their visual location on the boards, so I would never skip that part of forum browsing..
Though Both should be clicked to be sure that new some aren't missed, since active topics can miss new posts. I don't know if trescoms forum has the same issue with that, (if its bug at all with phpbb or just settings)
I don't believe that's an issue here - EXCEPT that the orange new-post indicator is totally not functioning currently, and for that reason, it's important to make sure no posts on the previous page were missed, if you see that the first post that's new to you is at the top of the page.. I'm starting to get really, really fed up with depending on people who are never here.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Draconisaurus wrote:I'm starting to get really, really fed up with depending on people who are never here.
Maybe it's you being fed up that has scared them away :P They are afraid of your RAAAAGGGEEE! :lol:
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:EXCEPT that the orange new-post indicator is totally not functioning currently,
What the hell are you talking about? If you mean the small orange squares next to threads with new posts, of course it's working as well as always... if you don't see it, there's something wrong on YOUR end.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

*goes into RAGE mode* Image
machf wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:EXCEPT that the orange new-post indicator is totally not functioning currently,
What the hell are you talking about? If you mean the small orange squares next to threads with new posts, of course it's working as well as always... if you don't see it, there's something wrong on YOUR end.
It's NOT just me - not only did it start after the server swap, but I'm pretty sure I have seen others reporting it here as well.. IIRC, tatu mentioned it. If you are not experiencing the problem, I suspect (without checking) that the "new post" forum function somehow still "works" with the orange indicators. Without checking, it could also in theory be Chrome, though how it could work on one server and not another is beyond me.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

It works for threads, but not for individual posts.
Top left corner of post, just before "by *usernamer* on *date/time* ".
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Did it ever work like that?
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

Edit* Sorry! boys and girls wasn't feeling quite well yesterday got a bit frustrated*
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Feels ashamed for what he did!
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Mickey wrote:Edit* Sorry! boys and girls wasn't feeling quite well yesterday got a bit frustrated*

Calms down you guys. You have to EMAIL REMDUL FOR THE ACCESS INFORMATION. He already said so himself. So you guys go email him :P

Also I have MP on Facebook, I am capable of contacting him if you guys continue your ranting and raving. It's not like they are non existent and hard to contact.

EDIT: I went ahead and just now sent him a message. You guys need to relax and stop just assuming things aren't working out and start this inane ranting without even trying to contact them outside of the forum. It's not like they come here and read EVERY SINGLE THREAD.

Yer admins, so learn ter keep ye cool! :pirate:

EDIT 2: And Draco, the orange box works for me too :P Might be one of those things which would be fixed if we upgraded to the latest version of php.

EDIT 3: And I just got proven right :P MP and Rem are still around and are still busy in the background knocking things together :P Remdul's email is remdul*NOSPAM*@*NOSPAM*trescom.org, btw. I forwarded what concerns you guys had (errors and the like) to him, since it seems no one did. You can't expect them to read all threads. Not even I do that and I'm here every day.
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Feels ashamed for what he did!
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
madppiper
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by madppiper »

I don't want to start into any discussion here.

Mickey: you got some valid points - it is a bummer that we can't get things done much sooner, but you need to respect that both rem and I are working and don't have the time to come by as often as we want to. Yet, at the same time, we feel the need to do some serious maintenance work at the website itself.

Before the migration the website seems to have fallen into a mess. I am not pointing any fingers, much was due to our own lack of communication, but the problem remains. So now Remuld and I want to take our time fixing things and making things much more organized before we grant the old status to anybody else again (and once we do, we will also give some advice on maintenance and helpful hints on how to use the software).
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nick3069 wrote:It works for threads, but not for individual posts.
Top left corner of post, just before "by *usernamer* on *date/time* ".
Yes, THAT is what I meant! Thank for your clarifying. Of course the orange thread indicators still work - if they didn't, I'd be pulling my hair out by now :lol: I mean only within threads, and as I said, it can cause one to miss new posts if the new posts spilled over to the next page since your last check.

Seems I missed Mickey's rant..

And Sam, I'm afraid I can't understand not checking all the new posts while we still have so few of them :P But at least some admins do, I guess it should then be sufficient..
madppiper wrote:I don't want to start into any discussion here.

Mickey: you got some valid points - it is a bummer that we can't get things done much sooner, but you need to respect that both rem and I are working and don't have the time to come by as often as we want to. Yet, at the same time, we feel the need to do some serious maintenance work at the website itself.

Before the migration the website seems to have fallen into a mess. I am not pointing any fingers, much was due to our own lack of communication, but the problem remains. So now Remuld and I want to take our time fixing things and making things much more organized before we grant the old status to anybody else again (and once we do, we will also give some advice on maintenance and helpful hints on how to use the software).
Right, I totally understand that the site needs work. We just want the forum to have its basic functions.
..Just checked, PMs are still down.. I was able to move a forum up and down within the Creative Works section, however pressing the "up" button would often cause it to go up by two levels.. also down.. Pretty odd error, not sure what----OHHHHH hey! That sounds like the signal is being sent TWICE! That would totally explain why new posts do not appear (as it thinks they've already been read, in the "first signal"), AND why PMs don't work! The second time the PM signal is sent, the recipient has been reset to none (possibly an internal forum feature to prevent accidental PM duplication). So, if we can just figure out why signals are sometimes being duplicated, I bet we can fix it..