Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

JPFan95
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

A tool to animate guns?

Post by JPFan95 »

Here's another item for my wishlist:

An editor like TPDC that allows you to edit guns with the following features: Changing/editing the model, muzzleflash, recoil, and blowback. Blowback is when the gun fires and produces recoil while ejecting the spent shell. Possible with ASA or ASB I imagine?
Site B was not meant to be a theme park, but a research station. This is where we did the real work.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: A tool to animate guns?

Post by machf »

You can do all that in TresEd, you don't need a custom tool...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
JPFan95
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by JPFan95 »

BUT, is gun blowback and ejection of shells possible?
Site B was not meant to be a theme park, but a research station. This is where we did the real work.
enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by enigma »

Edit: beaten to it ^

It can actaully all be done within tresed... :)

The model is simply just a model really with the gun tscript. The you got magnets and other small boxes (cant remember name) that determine where the muzzle flash appears which and where the recoil is received from, which is the end of the barrel usually.
The value for amount of recoil is edited within the guns tscript, you could put it to zero or up to a point it will just send your arm to heaven.
The flash can be changed too you see the standard fire effect in the retail guns, but you could make a different model and texture to make its look as if its firing a laser.

Ejecting shells, I read something about it, think its possible, thought of a way how to do it, but getting to trigger after or during a shot, I don't know about.

Unless you mean a dedicated editor to create guns rather than doing it all externally or within tresed. :)
That would be fairly handy, playing back the results to 'test' it would be pretty neat.
JPFan95
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by JPFan95 »

Yes, that would be fun... Wow, this sounds like a very good idea. Do you think that Tsord would have thought of something like that? Anyway, I have no experience with programming or modelling, so someone like the great Draconisaurus or Andres James would have to create it. Can we get a Creative Commons copyright set up? :P
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

enigma wrote:Edit: beaten to it ^

It can actaully all be done within tresed... :)

The model is simply just a model really with the gun tscript. The you got magnets and other small boxes (cant remember name) that determine where the muzzle flash appears which and where the recoil is received from, which is the end of the barrel usually.
The value for amount of recoil is edited within the guns tscript, you could put it to zero or up to a point it will just send your arm to heaven.
The flash can be changed too you see the standard fire effect in the retail guns, but you could make a different model and texture to make its look as if its firing a laser.
There are several muzzle flashes to select from in the retail levels...
Ejecting shells, I read something about it, think its possible, thought of a way how to do it, but getting to trigger after or during a shot, I don't know about.
You can use a CObjectTrigger with bool UseObject = true
Unless you mean a dedicated editor to create guns rather than doing it all externally or within tresed. :)
That would be fairly handy, playing back the results to 'test' it would be pretty neat.
JPFan95 wrote:Yes, that would be fun... Wow, this sounds like a very good idea. Do you think that Tsord would have thought of something like that? Anyway, I have no experience with programming or modelling, so someone like the great Draconisaurus or Andres James would have to create it. Can we get a Creative Commons copyright set up? :P
Drac is a modeler, not a programmer... maybe you're thinking of Remdul?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
JPFan95
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by JPFan95 »

I wasnt exactly sure.
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

You can simulate shell ejections using animations; I released a level a while featuring a reload-able shotgun that ejects the spent shells (via a flat plate animation).

Anyways, I think developing a program to do just one little thing is a bad idea. Just start putzing with the Tscripts; you can edit everything through them, and it's straight forward.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

lol yeah, I may have some decent experience with programming but I'm no programmer. Slug is quite right - editing guns is far too simple to need its own app. Editing dinos is another thing altogether and that's where TPDC became necessary. Gun's aren't rigged, you just edit scripts.. the most time-consuming part of making a gun other than tweaking the exact values to fit your uses is making custom subobjects for its physics; that only takes a couple minutes AND it's a matter of mesh-editing which is not generally something game editors are used for. If you want to do lots of gun tweaking in an efficient manner, make a test level with the various guns set up in an easily accessible spot, and maybe some things to fire at...
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Draconisaurus wrote:Editing dinos is another thing altogether and that's where TPDC became necessary.
Technically, TPDC was developed to rig new dinosaur meshes. :wink:
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Erm, yes that is what I meant to indicate.. :yum:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Normally I hold things back and don't release them until they're put into a level, but I'm feeling unusually nice this evening. ;)

This little level contains nothing except Anne and the Spaz in front of her. It demonstrates physical shell-ejection. The trigger fires eight times, eight empty shell cartridges ( so using the Woo cheat won't reinitialize the trigger). Although I haven't tweaked it any, it looks pretty damn good to me.

Goto the 0,0,0 coordinates for the single trigger that controls the action. This is also the location where the empty shell cartridges are stored until they're call upon for when the gun is fired.

Requires ATX to work

Download size 1.7mbs.

*The pathway inside the scn file is c:/trespass/data/spaz.grf If that doesn't work for you, either edit the scn or you can download this scn which should work for any pathway used -
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hmmm... the second link doesn't work.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Yeah, that's because the senile old man forgot to actually upload the damn file. It's there now -
JPFan95
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by JPFan95 »

Haha... Isn't that tech demo part of Coke N More? It's a neat little level...