Trespasser Already Installed at Windows?

A discussion and "how to" of running Trespasser under the Linux operating system. You do not have to be registered for posting in this forum!

Moderators: scallenger, Dapper Dan, TresCom Support Team

yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Trespasser Already Installed at Windows?

Post by yochenhsieh »

Hi, I have two questions about Trespasser and Linux:
1. I have Mandrake 9.2/ Windows XP/ Windows 98 multiboot on my computer. My Trespasser is already installed at D:\ and can be played in both Win98/XP (I export Trespasser registry from Win98 and then inport it to WinXP). Is there anyway I can play Trespasser in Mandrake using an existed install at Windows?
2. Does Trespasser run in WINE?

Thanks for your help in advance. :)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Does Mandrake 9.2 shows both fat32 and ntfs partitions in /mnt like it does in Mdk 9.0? I'm not sure about ntfs, but I know you can run programs including Trespasser in Linux from a fat partition.

Just "cd" to the Trespasser directory and go:

winex3 trespass.exe [enter]

and it should work for you if tres is on your fat 32 partition.

None of this will work though unless you have Winex3 installed. Get it here..

For complete details on how to run Trespasser in Linux see this "how to."

Also, I'd just like to say...

YAY!! ANOTHER LINUX GUY HAS JOINED TRESCOM!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

Yes, Mandrake automatically mounts FAT32 and NTFS(-ro) partitions in /mnt when installing since 9.0, and of course 9.1 and 9.2.
These are my Mandrake 9.2 screenshots :yes:
My D:\ is a FAT32 partition used for data storage and gaming, so that it can be accessed/shared by all 3 Operation Systems I installed.
Last edited by yochenhsieh on Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Very Nice screenshots there yochenhsieh !! Here's my last screen using Redhat 9...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/352713/void1.jpg

And the one before that when I was using Mandrake 9.0...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/3 ... esktop.jpg

I'm not real good with Asian characters, is that traditional Chinese I'm seeing on your screenshots? :)
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

You're right, that's Traditional Chinese character. I'm a Taiwanese.
Your icewm looks very pretty too, especially those icons. :)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

LOL! You recognized IceWM! You must really be a Linux guy!! :lol:
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

There is a localized Knoppix in Taiwan using icewm for its default window manager, and I have used it for a while. Now I use mklivecd to make my own Mandrake Live-CD. :yes:

Oh, I just tried running Trespasser with WINE: The intro movie played, the main menu loaded, and the game crashed. Though some games will run with WINE, it's still not optimalized for most games.
I found WineX rpm for Mandrake here: http://www003.portalis.it/115/winexx.html
Has anyone here tried it before? :?:
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Take a really good look around TresLinux and you will see that IsToR and I are the only two so far that have attempted Trespasser with Winex3 with very satisfactory results! . Hmmm, that download of Winex you provided is very interesting! I was able to download it right away, even though
I understood you had to be a member of Transgaming in order to get it for a monthly fee which I'm paying! Interesting...

Anyway, here is a complete history of Trespasser running under Wine(x)(3).

http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~trescom/bo ... .php?t=948
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

It works! I can play Trespasser with WineX 3.2.1! My WineX is downloaded from the link I posted.
Hardware mode: There's a visual problem as Dapper Dan reported.
Software mode: I can play Demo, TestScene, and TestScnNght very smoothly, other levels will run but with a little slowdown.

My hardware specs: Asus A1390F (laptop), PIII-900Mhz, 384MB SDRAM, SIS630 Intergrated Chipset.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

IsToR has found a way to play with Winex 3.2 in hardware without the slowdown! See here...