WOW!!

A discussion and "how to" of running Trespasser under the Linux operating system. You do not have to be registered for posting in this forum!

Moderators: scallenger, Dapper Dan, TresCom Support Team

IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

WOW!!

Post by IsToR »

MAN it's like trespasser is running on steroids god damnit!!! At the beach, it runs as smooth as any other fps game (= 50+ fps)!! It's beautiful too!! looks much better than it does under windows! man it's awesome!!!!

Until, ofcourse, the software rendered stuff comes into the view... then the framerate drops to like.. 0,3 fps.. >=( Well.. still looks as beautiful.. but that's not really comforting at all...
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

There has to be a way to fix this hardware problem. Since it runs so great until dinos, shotguns, boxes, etc. come into frame, there should be a way to fix it. I've tried to find the answers, but as I'm no hacker, so I don't even know the right questions. Remdul how about you? You said a while back you were going to check out Linux. How about now? :)
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Have you tried the demo? it runs better under winex than the full game... I guess that's because all the crates are hardware rendered.. only the dinos and guns make it slower...
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Istor, what distro are you using? I never knew you were a Linux guy, and you've been here a long time!
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

I'm really a windows guy, but I've started to like linux now that I've seen how good games really perform! If I can get cakewalk and reason to run, I think I'm gonna stay with linux, because then I have no reason to switch to windows.

Before, I've tried Mandrake 7, redhat 6, redhat 8.2 (I think), and now I have mandrake 9.1. At first, when had mandrake 7, I couldn't even install a program, so I gave up after a couple of days. .hehe.. redhat 6 didn't support my graphics card, so I couldn't start x.. for some reason.. Well, I still have some problems when compiling stuff, but there's always a .rpm file somewhere on the net.. :)
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

By the way, I installed quake 3 arena (linux version), and it runs like a dream! The only problem is that it doesn't seem to react to mouse movement (when I move it, nothing happens), so it's really unplayable.. The mouse buttons do work though..

I have no clue on what to do...... :?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

So the mouse problem happens just when you try to run this game? There should be a quake forum that would have an answer somewhere. It's almost for sure that someone else has had that problem. I found this...
I used Mandrake 9.0 for a long time, but switched to RH 9 because I didn't like Mdk 9.1 and 9.2. You have URPMI with Mdk, and it works pretty good, but I like apt-get RPM much better. Downloading and installing packages is almost effortless...
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Hey thanks dan! I'm gonna try that!!

I didn't buy the game for linux, I just installed the first pointrelease that I found, which was 1.32 (not 1.32b), and then I copied the pak0.pk3 file from my q3 (windows version) cd to the baseq3 directory. I read that it's possible to do so if you've got the windows cd and want to play under linux.. and it worked. But then there was that ugly mouse problem....

Now, if I could only get halflife to run properly under winex... It runs in software mode, but in opengl mode, it freezes when loading a level... You said you play TFC.... so, does hl run properly on your machine?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

HL, TF and all it's mods run flawlessly under winex. Make sure you have the latest HL update before trying to run though. Also, it won't run right with the "nv" drivers that came with the distro. You must update to the latest nvidia drivers like what we were talking about.

From the command line, run..

winex3 .transgaming/c_drive/SIERRA/Half-Life/hl -console -opengl

That should work fine.

For TF run...

winex3 -workdir ".transgaming/c_drive/SIERRA/Half-Life" hl.exe -console -nocdaudio -game tfc -opengl
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Dapper Dan wrote:Make sure you have the latest HL update before trying to run though. Also, it won't run right with the "nv" drivers that came with the distro. You must update to the latest nvidia drivers like what we were talking about.
I have hl 1.1.1.0, and I've installed the nvidia drivers (otherwise I wouldn't be able to run trespasser in h/w mode at blistering fps...), but it doesn't work.. it freezes when I try to load a level.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

I had same problem once. The only thing that would fix it was a totally new install of HL. I havn't had the problem since. You aren't by chance doing auto loggin are you?
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Dapper Dan wrote:I had same problem once. The only thing that would fix it was a totally new install of HL. I havn't had the problem since.

Ok. I tried that, but I didn't install any patches or anything,.. guess I should do that then.. :)

You aren't by chance doing auto loggin are you?
huh?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

IsToR wrote:huh?
During install, Mandrake gives the choice of doing auto login, where you bypass kdm/gdm/xdm, without having to type in username and password. For some reason, using autologin gives permission errors with nvidia when trying to launch halflife. If you're using auto login, that could be the source of the problem.
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Oh, I see.. nope, I'm not using that.. :P
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Good. That rules it out! :wink: