Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

ThatZenoGuy
Triceratops
Triceratops
Antispam: No

Re: Zeno's Vanilla Trespasser Patch/Rework

Post by ThatZenoGuy »

machf wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:50 am There are other versions of the lab level (from earlier builds) which you can use as the basis for integratin PV into the whole thing...
And what about the Plantation House level? It goes between Jungle road and Industrial Jungle...
That's simply out of the scope for this mod, which is to provide a primarily vanilla experience. It's why if I am even going to add Pine Valley it's going to be after all the levels are 'polished' up a bit.

The primary goals of the mod are to
-Increase fun
-Restore a reasonable amount of cut content (there's just way too much to restore ALL of it)
-Fix grievances many players have with the game (only one 'boss fight', broken triggers/scripts/voicelines, floating objects and so on)

In this respect, restoring something pre Build96 like Plantation House is just not going to happen, it'd require altering far too much of the levels, something I am not comfortable doing.

I really don't want to attempt anything outside of my abilities, and I also want the project to be complete. Taking on too much workload is not going to help either of those goals. If someone can provide a fixed up planation house level, MAYBE I could work with it. But to my knowledge it's just too unfinished to work with.

Edit:

Added some gun changes I want to do, so the weapons in Trespasser better relate to their real life counterparts. I tried to resist but the gun-nut instead of me overpowered such a sense of reason. Amusingly most of them are just nerfs to the automatic firearms, although a couple of them are neutral and a couple buff the much-hated burst-fire guns of Trespasser.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

ThatZenoGuy wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:45 am That's simply out of the scope for this mod, which is to provide a primarily vanilla experience. It's why if I am even going to add Pine Valley it's going to be after all the levels are 'polished' up a bit.
You don't understand, I meant you could use the earlier Lab level and update it to the state it was when released but keeping the way it was originally supposed to start....
In this respect, restoring something pre Build96 like Plantation House is just not going to happen, it'd require altering far too much of the levels, something I am not comfortable doing.
Not really, there's a huge gap between the end of JR and the start of IJ... PH just fits in between. It's basically changing the end trigger in JR so that it loads PH and making the end trigger in PH load IJ after placing it in the proper location.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
ThatZenoGuy
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by ThatZenoGuy »

machf wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:06 am
ThatZenoGuy wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:45 am That's simply out of the scope for this mod, which is to provide a primarily vanilla experience. It's why if I am even going to add Pine Valley it's going to be after all the levels are 'polished' up a bit.
You don't understand, I meant you could use the earlier Lab level and update it to the state it was when released but keeping the way it was originally supposed to start....
Not really, there's a huge gap between the end of JR and the start of IJ... PH just fits in between. It's basically changing the end trigger in JR so that it loads PH and making the end trigger in PH load IJ after placing it in the proper location.
That remains out of the scope of this mod, once it's released, sure I can take a look at it for a second run, a revamp of a revamp I suppose? But populating entire levels with voicelines, spawns, events, triggers and so on? That's outside of my abilities.
Is Plantation House's textures even up to retail's standards? It was one of the earlier cut levels, it didn't even have our fun colored raptors!

Edit:

Took a looksie at Plantation House Build 32, and I don't believe it's viable for this mod. Firstly I'd have to remove the one from Jungle Road, which isn't great as I don't feel comfortable doing that. Secondly the level isn't remotely complete, Pine Valley is far far closer to completion and just needs some sprucing up in comparison. Lastly the actual level's ending doesn't seem to match up with Industrial Jungle at all. It either goes to the beach or to an ingen worksite of some sort.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by morningstarring »

someone correct me if i'm wrong but I remember reading an interview by the devs or something similar saying plantation house was originally supposed to have everything connected via magnets. So a Trex could enter the scene and tear the house apart.

I dont think they were able to do it due to time constraints and not being able to fully implement magnets in general as they originally hoped. I've browsed through some of the source code, have seen comments in the code relating to magnets about how parts needed reworked or cut out etc. I don't think they were able to get the magnet system fully functional. which is too bad cuz they're a really interesting gameplay mechanic.
ThatZenoGuy
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by ThatZenoGuy »

morningstarring wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:44 pm someone correct me if i'm wrong but I remember reading an interview by the devs or something similar saying plantation house was originally supposed to have everything connected via magnets. So a Trex could enter the scene and tear the house apart.

I dont think they were able to do it due to time constraints and not being able to fully implement magnets in general as they originally hoped. I've browsed through some of the source code, have seen comments in the code relating to magnets about how parts needed reworked or cut out etc. I don't think they were able to get the magnet system fully functional. which is too bad cuz they're a really interesting gameplay mechanic.
The house was supposed to break apart from an albertosaurus 'boss' of sorts. The intention is you'd break the house to fall onto him, so he'd run away.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

The house in the earlier builds (I think it's B96?) does indeed have the front wall in several pieces that are frozen into place - this was removed in the final model seen in Build 116. They can be scripted to break apart, but their physics are really funky and they have a fairly high chance to cause some general physics-chaos. I think Drac got them working in one of his levels.
Download my releases here: TI's Release Thread | "How many rainbows can light create for the untutored eye?"
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

ThatZenoGuy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:53 amLastly the actual level's ending doesn't seem to match up with Industrial Jungle at all. It either goes to the beach or to an ingen worksite of some sort.
The ending leading into Industrial Jungle is there, I believe. When standing in front of the house, I think it's a little off to the right. But it's been a while. Wasn't it sort of marked by a tree?
TheIdiot wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:12 am The house in the earlier builds (I think it's B96?) does indeed have the front wall in several pieces that are frozen into place - this was removed in the final model seen in Build 116.
You can still shoot big chunks off the house though, right?
ThatZenoGuy
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by ThatZenoGuy »

Hilwo wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:32 am
ThatZenoGuy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:53 amLastly the actual level's ending doesn't seem to match up with Industrial Jungle at all. It either goes to the beach or to an ingen worksite of some sort.
The ending leading into Industrial Jungle is there, I believe. When standing in front of the house, I think it's a little off to the right. But it's been a while. Wasn't it sort of marked by a tree?
TheIdiot wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:12 am The house in the earlier builds (I think it's B96?) does indeed have the front wall in several pieces that are frozen into place - this was removed in the final model seen in Build 116.
You can still shoot big chunks off the house though, right?
Looked for the exit again, still cannot find it. There's all sorts of trees at the edge of the map, but nothing screams 'industrial jungle/Jungle Road is right up next!' to me.

Also...WAY too much damned work for this mod in any case. But hey if someone wants to spruce up Plantation House and email me it, go ahead! Haha. XD
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Looked for the exit again, still cannot find it. There's all sorts of trees at the edge of the map, but nothing screams 'industrial jungle/Jungle Road is right up next!' to me.
It's easy to spot if you know where to look. It is before you reach the Plantation House. It may be difficult to spot if you are looking for the actually terrain that IJ has, as it is not the same.
PHToIJ.png
PHToIJ.png (2.87 MiB) Viewed 31 times
Also...WAY too much damned work for this mod in any case. But hey if someone wants to spruce up Plantation House and email me it, go ahead! Haha. XD
You could always take a look at the Isla Sorna mod, if you want to see how we've integrated PH: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11122&p=136562#p136562
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
ThatZenoGuy
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by ThatZenoGuy »

tatu wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:19 pm
It's easy to spot if you know where to look. It is before you reach the Plantation House. It may be difficult to spot if you are looking for the actually terrain that IJ has, as it is not the same.

PHToIJ.png
You could always take a look at the Isla Sorna mod, if you want to see how we've integrated PH: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11122&p=136562#p136562
Simply out of scope for the mod, it's to provide a primarily vanilla experience and if I have to use a level which requires that much tweaking I'm not confident it'll provide that experience.

Pine valley so far is the only exception to adding levels, as it's basically 95% complete and I just have to fix up some warts the developers left in.

I mean, again i'd have to remove the plantation house from Jungle Road too, right? That's removing a vanilla experience which would be against the idea of the mod.